Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:46:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shitty Ellen

Started by Clownbaby, August 04, 2020, 09:12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Syntax Head

I particularly enjoyed when she spoke about being called the be kind lady after some guy's suicide. Then she made a joke about it. Her comedy timing is spot on.

Glebe

Reveal of the virtual audience was comically bizarre.

Clapping herself for "starting a new chapter."

Promoting black sidekick on air. "YES, MA'AM! THANK YOU MA'AM!"

Clownbaby

She almost had something when she started saying how, if you're picking a persona, don't go for ''nicest person on TV'' because it's so difficult to keep up, but of course that was full of ''don't pretend to be nice because cunts will BITE YOU ON THE ARSE FOR IT and you can't do ANYTHING because people put you under a MICROSCOPE like oh my god I can't believe I'm up here having to apologize'' undertones, naturally

If she'd just gone a bit further with that instead of swerving into ''but I AM that kind person and I love to make people happy'' I would have thought fair play, she's acknowledged what it is that irked people, but nah. Just double down on the ''I'm nice but I have a couple flaws, sue me'' rather than ''I have a lot of flaws and I understand why this is such a let-down to my fans and a problem behind the scenes of my show. I have run things horribly and took my position for granted for a long time and all I can do now is take a good look at myself and do things professionally moving forward, even if I don't feel like it.'' Honestly how hard would it have been to say that

Dr Syntax Head

She always came across to me as someone with a massive ego. Self obsessed. False altruism for attention. The sort of person that takes a selfie of themselves giving a homeless person a sandwich.

BlodwynPig

She didnt even do that, the selfie was Streep and co.

Thomas

Quote from: Clownbaby on September 22, 2020, 06:40:14 PM
and the whole ''I'm just a person, I have good days and bad days and sometimes I'm sad or anxious or impatient'' is also a nothing statement which sounds more introspective than it is. Aren't we all Ellen lass aren't we fucking all

She sounded like a primary school teacher explaining to her class why she'd got angry and used the word 'bloody'.

Custard

If you look closely her eyes are filled with hate and rage. I bet they give her a fresh puppy to dropkick each time she waddles offstage

But she gives out TVs, so she's the bestest

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shameless Custard on September 23, 2020, 06:13:48 AM

But she gives out TVs, so she's the bestest

UGH, that's fucking crass isn't it. Like the capitalist satan.

Thomas

QuoteNot being nice 100% of the time is a cardinal sin when you're a woman and entirely unremarkable when you're a man.

It's fair broader point - but to rectify this, I don't think we should go easier on Ellen, but tougher on James Corden.

I like the article's sole mention of Ellen being gay, despite not suggesting that any of the criticism has been homophobic. Reminds me of Mark in Peep Show, deriding Jez for his dislike of Johnson. 'He's black, if you hadn't noticed.'

Also, Ellen hasn't received any material 'comeuppance'. She just opened season 18 of her incredibly successful show, barely having to address the 'vitriol' before moving on to feelgood giggles.

QuoteIt pains me to come to the defence of an obscenely wealthy and often irritating celebrity, but the vitriol that has been directed at DeGeneres over the past few months has been a little much.

And what does this mean? How many disparate people can criticise a millionaire before it becomes vitriol 'directed' at her? The visible criticism is people chatting on Twitter and forums, and you have to go looking for it. Ellen's not reading CookdandBombd.

It's easy writing opinion articles, innit? Sling a few words together and click post.

jobotic

Never mind the less wealthy women she treated like shit.

And never mind the women that Rowling denies an existence to.

Leave the filthy rich alone!

Icehaven

Quote from: Clownbaby on September 22, 2020, 07:23:42 PM
She almost had something when she started saying how, if you're picking a persona, don't go for ''nicest person on TV'' because it's so difficult to keep up, but of course that was full of ''don't pretend to be nice because cunts will BITE YOU ON THE ARSE FOR IT and you can't do ANYTHING because people put you under a MICROSCOPE like oh my god I can't believe I'm up here having to apologize'' undertones, naturally

So basically "I'm horrible but became hugely successful by pretending to be nice, which is a really difficult thing to do when you're horrible so please feel sorry for how hard it's been for me."?  Maybe if you're "picking a persona" perhaps the best thing to do is use the one you actually have, rather than some entirely false creation, then you won't have to worry about keeping up the pretence. Obviously you probably won't get a popular TV series if you're openly a vile, bullying shit, so if you manage to pretend you aren't and profit greatly from it you can hardly expect sympathy when you get busted.

Puce Moment

She's involved in a huge, self-generated company with shareholder meetings and all the same sorts of scummy shit associated with that sort of thing. The CEO just happens to be a "kind" well-known "celebrity".

I would like that to collapse like any other non-centrist lib would.

Clownbaby

Quote from: icehaven on September 23, 2020, 01:15:16 PM
So basically "I'm horrible but became hugely successful by pretending to be nice, which is a really difficult thing to do when you're horrible so please feel sorry for how hard it's been for me."?  Maybe if you're "picking a persona" perhaps the best thing to do is use the one you actually have, rather than some entirely false creation, then you won't have to worry about keeping up the pretence. Obviously you probably won't get a popular TV series if you're openly a vile, bullying shit, so if you manage to pretend you aren't and profit greatly from it you can hardly expect sympathy when you get busted.

My point yeah. Her apology was very pathetic and ill-thought out because it was her twisting her image-damage for sympathy, and downplaying the allegations into "sadness" and "anxiety" and "just a person" rather than taking responsibility for the fact that she deliberately pushed a deeply insincere image and message, for years, that she couldn't even bring herself to try to maintain when the cameras were off. If you're going to pick a persona, don't go for "nicest talk show host" unless you actually sort of are. But then people who feel the need to say they're nice and remind people of that generally aren't anyway and I don't trust them. For good reason, cause they end up being total Ellens.

Given that her behaviour behind the scenes was unnecessarily fussy and unpleasant and intimidating, for no justifiable reason, and many other people with a similar level of fame and responsibility for a big talk show like her somehow manage to be human beings and ALSO reign in the rage enough to keep a decent reputation, there's just no way that any of it was necessary and that Guardian article above is a load of absolute shite. Nobody gives a shit that she's a gay woman. That is not people's problem with her and I honestly can't stand it when articles like this jump on something like that as if it's at all relevant. Twats are twats.

Ferris

Quote from: Small Potatoes on September 23, 2020, 09:15:23 AM
You're all just a bunch of gleeful, homophobic misogynists, according to the good people at the Guardian -

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/sep/23/it-pains-me-to-defend-an-obscenely-wealthy-celebrity-but-could-we-lay-off-ellen-degeneres

Haven't read the graun regularly for years but christ how low has it sunk.

Bazooka

QuoteA lot of people seem incredibly gleeful that a gay woman is getting her comeuppance. Maybe it's time for everyone to have another think about sexist double standards

Even YouTube comments(the only valid soapbox left for humanity) nobody has mentioned her being gay as a critique. But they bloody well should be to fit the narrative!

Clownbaby

Even in the many Reddit threads that people have started about Ellen, not much of a misogynist or homophobic tone to people's criticisms of her. The people who do make some dodgy comment about her being a gay woman tend to get downvoted and told to shut up

Puce Moment

I'm sure that in some quarters they are relishing that this huge gay, 'liberal' icon is getting a kicking, but I would like to think that if this was Fallon or Corden or Conan they would have had to go through an equal amount of fake public self-flaggelation. Letterman got off very lightly with his intern bonking but I don't think his company had an endemic problem with bullying and racism (as far as I know).

greenman

Quote from: Puce Moment on September 23, 2020, 04:21:18 PM
She's involved in a huge, self-generated company with shareholder meetings and all the same sorts of scummy shit associated with that sort of thing. The CEO just happens to be a "kind" well-known "celebrity".

I would like that to collapse like any other non-centrist lib would.

Ellen Corp, selling your bodies chemicals after you die.

Noodle Lizard

Surely it's less to do with her being a woman or gay than it is to do with her entire public persona being predicated on being nice and fair and right-on and everyone's friend. Of course it's more interesting to see someone like that revealed to be a bit of a wrong'un than, say, Bill O'Reilly where it's sort of a given.

That apology was one of the creepiest things I've seen this year, and not only because of the uncanny Black Mirror virtual audience. It's astonishing that you could presumably spend the best part of a month with your PR people and producers and lawyers writing a mea culpa speech and still come off so insincere and point-missing.

kngen

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on September 25, 2020, 12:52:04 AM
Surely it's less to do with her being a woman or gay than it is to do with her entire public persona being predicated on being nice and fair and right-on and everyone's friend.

... and, by extension, a liberal totem. Much in the same way that Louis CK's fall from grace was that much more pronounced for those that (especially me) bought into his pleasingly exasperated way of muddling through the more ludicrous aspects of toxic masculinity.

She's awful. He's awful. But if you project a little bit of yourself on to them, then you're going to want to fucking destroy them when they ruin the illusion you've created.

That Guardian column is the worst kind of 'will this do?' bollocks.

Clownbaby

Yeah, it's ridiculous how far The Guardian article missed the point. It's the principle of being bullshitted by someone, that is what irked people. Nobody ever responds well to that when ANYONE does it. Ellen massively bullshitted a personality and a specific image for years.That uncanny not-what-she-seems feeling has come to a head now. It's not just a reveal that she has a couple of faults, it's a huge contradiction to everything she artificially packaged up as her and deliberately tried to convince people she was, in herself.

I'd say as well the reason the backlash may seem more sustained than it might have felt for another charlatan celebrity is probably more because Ellen doesn't currently have much going for her apart from that persona she created. She's not funny or charismatic or creative enough to have anything that would make people go ''ey we all know Ellen is a twat but she's very, very funny. Got to respect the craft at least'' like some people were doing with Louis CK. The lingering appreciation of his stand-up was about enough to keep him around in some capacity, even though the image-whiplash was massive. I don't bother with him anymore though. His confirmed creepy bastard status strips any authenticity and point from his jokes. It's like they've all been re-written with a different tone

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on September 25, 2020, 12:52:04 AM
That apology was one of the creepiest things I've seen this year, and not only because of the uncanny Black Mirror virtual audience. It's astonishing that you could presumably spend the best part of a month with your PR people and producers and lawyers writing a mea culpa speech and still come off so insincere and point-missing.
I do love a good insincere apology from a celeb, and that was one of the best ones. She just has no idea how to genuinely be a decent person.

BlodwynPig

They should get lovely Steph McGovern in and put Ellen on her C4 show. Apparently Steph's show this week dipped to zero viewers at one point during the transmission. Competing with Loose Women is one thing, but that is ridiculous.

Famous Mortimer

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/ellen-degeneres-show-end-1234951571/

Ending in 2022, when all the contracts from advertisers which were bought a year in advance come to an end, presumably.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Should have Derek as the new host. He knows the true value of kindness.

Famous Mortimer

HuffPost: Ellen DeGeneres Still Doesn't Understand Why Her Show Was Called 'Toxic'.

It's good she learned so many lessons from what happened to her last year.