Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 09:48:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shitty Ellen

Started by Clownbaby, August 04, 2020, 09:12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

Quote from: Cuellar on August 04, 2020, 04:49:07 PM

On Sunday morning, Ellen was presented with a tray of different Samsung phones. Each of them was pre-set for a selfie, all she'd have to do was press the button. She practiced in her dressing room, rehearsed the selfie from the stage, and agreed to use the Samsung phone. She was still unsure whether or not she was going to do the Meryl Streep selfie.

Jesus, I take it back, it actually is astonishing.
The more you hear about stuff like this the more sense that bit in Screenwipe about the evolution of how people become showbiz cunts makes. The point at which you stop thinking of yourself as just a regular person must be some way before being presented with a box of phones pre-set to take a selfie that seemingly took more planning than the D Day landings.

Marner and Me

It's outstanding, could be worse, you could be one of the plebs on Twatter who eats it up and reposts that picture and think it's amazing.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Ferris

I think if you are famous for an extended period of time you essentially go bonkers.

ProvanFan

Now she can focus on her band. They never did top Let's Go Surfing.

Noodle Lizard

This has been big talk on my work zooms, since it tangentially affects us and many of them have direct experience of her antics. I'm surprised it's only just now being made "a thing" of though - she's been notoriously horrible to work for/with as long as she's been famous, and this has been public knowledge for a good while.

But yes, the real joke is the (seemingly unfounded) idea of them thinking of replacing her with Corden - also a notorious bellend to his staff and who can't be far from his very own cancellation if any of the things I've heard are true.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Do the American people really know how terrible Corden is? I was under the impression that they all thought that the sun shined out of his big fat shitty arsehole.

Bazooka

Enough people love these slug presenters, that the demand for them just shoves them being pieces of shit under the rug.

Edit: I've also only seen a majority liking Corden,the  comments for carpool karaoke are more desolate than every desolation post combined on this forum.

Mister Six

Ellen's been infamous for being horrible for years, and that's been public knowledge for a while now. What's triggered this sudden shift? I saw a Hard Times or something parody of Ellen a couple of days ago, but I didn't think it was playing on anything in particular.

PlanktonSideburns

Thread needs more anecdotes

Absorb the anus burn

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on August 04, 2020, 10:15:21 PM
Thread needs more anecdotes

One day during a lecture tour, Mark Twain entered a local barber shop for a shave. This, Twain told the barber, was his first visit to the town.
"You've chosen a good time to come," he declared.
"Oh?" Twain replied.
"Mark Twain is going to lecture here tonight. You'll want to go, I suppose?"
"I guess so..."
"Have you bought your ticket yet?"
"No, not yet."
"Well, it's sold out, so you'll have to stand."
"Just my luck," said Twain with a sigh. "I always have to stand when that fellow lectures!"

Hope that is ok.

PlanktonSideburns

Absorb the anus burn

BlodwynPig

PlanktonSideburns

Seriously tho, I want stories of corden degeneres slapping cups of hot MnMs out of the hands of weeping interns

Noods,  deliver the goods

BlodwynPig

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on August 04, 2020, 10:52:44 PM
Seriously tho, I want stories of corden degeneres slapping cups of hot MnMs out of the hands of weeping interns

Noods,  deliver the goods

Corden was rumoured to enjoy belly flopping on to young male staffers...naked.

I know it's been discussed here before but the James Corden Reddit AMA: fucking golden.

rack and peanut

Not surprised, anyone who espouses the cheer up, keep smiling attitude is the reason people with problems are afraid to talk about them.

gilbertharding

I thought the sitcom was quite good when it first came on. You know, serviceable. Having said that I can remember very little about it other than she ran a bookshop. I would not want to re-watch it now.

I also remember it dropped of a cliff (comedy-wise) around the time of the Coming Out, and its demise shortly afterwards was blamed on homophobia.

The chatshow, and her bizarre low-energy cheeriness, I find as baffling to watch as wrestling. I just don't understand why everyone is whooping and shouting.

lipsink

Yeah, I was a big fan of the sitcom growing up but I haven't went back and watched it to see if it's shit.

I remember watching a bit of recent Netflix special where she showed funny YouTube cat videos that she'd been watching. To whooping and hollering of the audience, of course.

notjosh

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on August 04, 2020, 10:52:44 PM

This is the Corden story I've seen doing the rounds the most:

There's also a story that he went to a WGA meeting to advocate for lower pay for writers.

gilbertharding

Quote from: lipsink on August 05, 2020, 11:14:37 AM
Yeah, I was a big fan of the sitcom growing up but I haven't went back and watched it to see if it's shit.

I remember watching a bit of recent Netflix special where she showed funny YouTube cat videos that she'd been watching. To whooping and hollering of the audience, of course.

I just remembered, on Radio 4 Extra recently, in the clips they're playing between programmes at the moment, they had a bit of a conversation between two women comedians who were enthusiastically recommending Ellen's stand up comedy. I wonder if any other readers had sampled that, and would care to comment?

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: gilbertharding on August 05, 2020, 10:31:12 AM
I thought the sitcom was quite good when it first came on. You know, serviceable. Having said that I can remember very little about it other than she ran a bookshop. I would not want to re-watch it now.

I also remember it dropped of a cliff (comedy-wise) around the time of the Coming Out, and its demise shortly afterwards was blamed on homophobia.

The sitcom never seems to be repeated, but in its time it was a classic example of mainstream sitcom with a bland central character surrounded by funnier supporting players: Clea Lewis (described in Wikipedia as "Ellen's annoying friend" but in the 90s queen of kooky characters who weren't Lisa Kudrow), Ayre Gross (who's also in the best episode of Friends), Joely Fisher (archetypal slutty best friend), Jeremy Piven (who some people seem to like), etc.

The studio chat show is 100% hell; wasn't it originally planned as a competitor/rip-off of the slightly less awful Rikki Lake Show?

Dex Sawash

I thought I had a crush on sitcom Ellen. Turns out it was probably a crush on Jeremy Piven.

thr0b

Corden's show is good in spite of Corden. It's not even an eighth as good as the Craig Ferguson incarnation of the franchise, obviously. But I like Corden as low-rent low-energy viewing.

The guest hosts last year were a mixture of terrible (there was one who turned the whole show into a very dull All Women All Feminism episode, which didn't work in a comedy setting), and amazingly great at it (Goldblum just threw himself into it, doing a big song and dance number with his wife for ten minutes, which is exactly the kind of thing you'd want Goldblum to do if he hosted a chat show.)

TheMonk

That plane story though, seems like a stretch. Must be an angry staffer who's dished the dirt on Corden if there's any to dish.
Or a celebrity who'll step in and confirm, like Brad Garrett and Lea Thompson with Ellen.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: notjosh on August 05, 2020, 11:33:20 AM
There's also a story that he went to a WGA meeting to advocate for lower pay for writers.

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on August 04, 2020, 02:42:13 PM
A podcast I listen to told a story about Corden going to a WGA meeting, where he requested that a new level of writer's job be created so he could pay people on his show less.
The podcast in question is "Struggle Session", and one of the hosts (Jack Allison, a former writer for Kimmel's show) was a first-hand witness to it. The story was told...within the last year? If you want to look through the archives.

Re: the reference to Craig Ferguson above, he's the only late night host I could tolerate. His monologues were great, and while he leaned harder on the "aren't you looking gorgeous?" standard opening with every female guest than any other late-night host, and I'd often skip the interviews, I miss his show. I'm one of the people who preferred it when Geoff Peterson (his robot sidekick) only had about 20 pre-programmed phrases, before they got the comedian who did his voice in full-time.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I really liked the Ferguson show too. His almost entirely improvised approach inevitably led to some eggy moments - Ferguson trying to keep an interview afloat with a boring guest was flop-sweat excruciating - but for the most part he was very likeable and quick-witted. Unlike Corden, he managed to capture some of the genuinely freewheeling spirit of Letterman in his pomp, but with his own distinctive spin.

What is Ferguson up to now? Enjoying life, hopefully. He seems like a good sort.

Ferris

Quote from: TheMonk on August 05, 2020, 01:22:39 PM
That plane story though, seems like a stretch. Must be an angry staffer who's dished the dirt on Corden if there's any to dish.
Or a celebrity who'll step in and confirm, like Brad Garrett and Lea Thompson with Ellen.

Yeah, you seat people with infants before everyone else (especially if they're in first class), not ferrying them around 30 minutes into a flight. How did the people know the headphones were noise-canceling? That's been added at the absolute minimum to make him sound like more of a twat.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's an unpleasant talentless shameless bell-end, but that particular story sounds entirely fabricated to me.