Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:51:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

UK doing all right

Started by Chedney Honks, August 05, 2020, 02:29:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuellar

Yeah we're doing great.

Thanks Rishi!!

Alberon

Well, all the vulnerable people have died by now.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

That is just outright state propaganda.

Chedney Honks

Big style. I fucking despise that toady health weasel.

EOLAN

BBC reporter seemed to have a revelation into how report the news.

Quote from: Nick Tiggle at the BBC
But all too often these nuances get lost in the frenzied debate that takes place.

Complex issues get reduced to soundbites. People want to look for someone to blame.

But what if we take a step back?

Fambo Number Mive

A load of old shite from the "Look over there" corporation (by which I mean the BBC), always happy to point the finger at other countries who are having spikes (most of whom have lower case numbers and death numbers than ours).

The message:

"It's the people's fault"

"If you test more you find more cases"

"Trade and trade is achieving something"

"Our numbers are lower than the peak. Hooray!"

Quotes one bloke from the WHO who got a CBE and was nominated by the Tories to stand for the post of director-general of the World Health Organisation.

dissolute ocelot

If there continues to be 800 new cases a week, in 1400 years we'll all have had it.[nb]assuming nobody's born or dies[/nb] Problem solved!

phantom_power

The deaths per million is the key figure for me and in that we have absolutely fucked it. We are over 670 while America, who seem to be fucking it even more, are only on 460

frajer

QuoteBut he was also full of hope, saying he thinks the UK is "going to do really well".

Why? He said it was showing the country was able to identify where the virus was, and he could see signs that different parts of society were "pulling together and saying 'we are going to get on top of this'."

Maybe things are not quite as bad as they sometimes seem.

Sub-GCSE level of writing, the sort where you're desperately pulling stuff out of your arse the morning the essay needs to be handed in. Just make up some vague quotes without citations, Mr. Collins doesn't even check them. That last line in particular is a howler.

shagatha crustie

Fucking laughable writing, how they've actually framed it.

YOU MIGHT WELL THINK THAT

1. We are the laughing stock of Europe

2. Everybody is fucking miserable and depressed and awaiting a societal collapse

3. The elderly and disabled are dying in their beds and being burned on a slagheap round the back

......but what if actually Things Are Ok

Honestly it's a contrivance so thuddingly desperate and simple that it would barely wash with a ten-year old.

This thing..... but ahh, what if this thing?

BlodwynPig

They just want their Pimms O'Clock back, the beige normality of Neo-liberal drudgery

olliebean

I knew it'd be that article, as soon as I saw the thread title. Load of old bobbins from the BBC.

shiftwork2

Worst in Europe.  What is this shite?

JamesTC

We're doing better than the world so it can't be too bad.

BlodwynPig

chveik

Chedney Honks

Thanks mate, we're killing it.

phes

Quote from: shagatha crustie on August 05, 2020, 05:08:27 PM

1. We are the laughing stock of Europe

2. Everybody is fucking miserable and depressed and awaiting a societal collapse

3. The elderly and disabled are dying in their beds and being burned on a slagheap round the back

......but what if actually Things Are Ok

Cue

https://youtu.be/AqP8xLF3TE4

Cloud

idunnosomename

i drunk a bucket of sick, cant wait to shit out the sick. into the same bucket

Shoulders?-Stomach!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53675467

'Pre covid levels by end of 2021'

What sort of interaction with epidemiologists have the Bank of England had when making these projections?

BlodwynPig

Only a 9.5% contraction, give me a break, it'll be 20% minimum

Chedney Honks

If 10% of people are dead, it will balance out

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 06, 2020, 07:49:30 AM

Online shopping mate, airlines and cruise companies, high street-only stores and pubs 7th rung deep in the FUCKHOUSE, online companies loving life, bring on a 2nd wave, Amazon snowshovelling the corpses of their delivery drivers into a mass grave near Church Warsop. Fresh drones please.

frajer

"U.K. Doing Fine! Haters Gonna Hate!"

With headlines like that, who needs actual content? I know I feel terrified to oppose state propagranda will sleep well tonight

BlodwynPig

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 06, 2020, 07:49:30 AM
Hypothetically there's a range of scenarios, at best a vaccine this winter followed by wild spending as everyone goes crazy with new-found freedom. But that assumes (a) a vaccine and (b) everyone still has money to spend.

What seems more realistic is that the government will wind down the furlough and slash state spending to cover its costs, lots of people will be penniless, and those with money will be worried about their jobs and not spend anything. There will be no post-vaccine boom, just a lot of nervous people sitting at home checking their finances. A self-perpetuating recession with no money left for Keynesian measures, even if there was an inclination.