Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:22:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

UK doing all right

Started by Chedney Honks, August 05, 2020, 02:29:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ASFTSN

Shoulders?-Stomach!

7-day rolling mean average for deaths down to 58 (about time), the best situation since March 23rd.

Meanwhile 7 day average for new cases very slowly rise. 545 was the post-lockdown low, now up to 848. That's taken a month so this still suggests the prevalence out there in the population is low enough for headroom in the short term. Would be pretty pointless to find ourselves back with 1500+ cases a day by October though.

Italy's progress is similar. Increase in cases but on a lower level (cases in the 100s, deaths in single figures) , not seeing it reflected in new deaths yet.

steveh

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 06, 2020, 10:41:16 PM
not seeing it reflected in new deaths yet.

More people are surviving it now - I think it's something like a 65% survival rate for people hospitalised vs 50% when it started. The deaths already of so many of the most vulnerable affects the death figures too, which you're seeing with the excess deaths figure no longer being unusual or even going negative.

bgmnts

Quote from: steveh on August 07, 2020, 08:18:33 AM
More people are surviving it now - I think it's something like a 65% survival rate for people hospitalised vs 50% when it started. The deaths already of so many of the most vulnerable affects the death figures too, which you're seeing with the excess deaths figure no longer being unusual or even going negative.

"As you can see, this is the section of the graph where it scrapes the bottom of the barrel, and it slowly trends upwards from there."

Chedney Honks

steveh has been one of the most informative and balanced posters on this topic over the last months. Many thanks, Steve.

BlodwynPig

Sarkar

QuoteApocalypse Soonish

The charts mapping new confirmed coronavirus cases per million people in the UK, Spain, France, Germany and Greece all have lines going the wrong way. Local lockdowns, with varying degrees of restrictions, are in place in Aberdeen, Greater Manchester, Bradford, Blackburn with Darwen, Kirklees, Calderdale and Leicester to name a few. Areas of concern include Sheffield and Bolton, with councils apparently lobbying for a "graded response" which could avoid the need for wholesale closures.

Quarantine measures for travellers returning to the UK, already in place for Spain, Belgium, Andorra, Luxembourg and the Bahamas, are being considered for France. Spare a thought for the BBC's Andrew Neil, who might be caught out if new rules are imposed after having implored the UK's civil servants to get back to Whitehall from the dreadful conditions of a villa in St Tropez.

The chancellor today heads to the Highlands to rain fifties upon the good people of Scotland, in the latest government attempt to shore up the union at a time of growing support for nationalist causes. As noted in this morning's email from Politico, Rishi Sunak enjoys the kind of personal polling in Scotland that any Labour leader would give their right leg for, but all the discount Nandos in the world may not be enough to compensate for the Conservatives' peri-peri poor numbers north of the border.

Rishi's visit comes as the SNP's Ian Blackford makes ominous noises about the furlough scheme's planned end in October, warning that this would be a "grave mistake". Now, I can't claim the same kind of economic expertise as the Bank of England boss Andrew Bailey, whose solution to a spike in post-furlough unemployment can best be summed up as "God will provide." But it seems to me that there's a problem. If local lockdowns are likely to become more frequent from now on, and you want people to spend money to aid economic recovery in the meantime *and* abide by a set of increasingly unintelligible restrictions, crowing that their means of financial support will be booted into Row Z come October might not be the best way of bolstering public confidence.

This isn't the only example of contradictory messaging from the government: stay at home but drive to Durham, eat healthily but get 50% off at Hawksmoor, vote Conservative because of family values but the prime minister's going to be Boris Johnson. And with the Conservatives enjoying a tidy poll lead over Keir Starmer's Labour, and data suggesting the public are more likely blame each other for a second wave than the people who botched the response to the first one, it doesn't seem like being bad at governing is much of a barrier to being in power. But with a canny leader of the opposition, these contradictions would offer an opportunity to put the boot into the incumbent, and make a compelling case for how things could be dealt with better. It still remains to be seen if Labour have one.

steveh

Quote from: Chedney Honks on August 07, 2020, 09:11:58 AM
steveh has been one of the most informative and balanced posters on this topic over the last months. Many thanks, Steve.

Why thank you - think generally all posters have done an excellent job here in keeping misinformation low.

Dex Sawash

Coca cola douche cures covid

QuoteUp to 10 percent of coronavirus deaths recorded in England will be chalked off due to an error in counting

Zetetic

Irrelevant to ONS figures based on death certification (or, given that England seems to have had a particularly bad problem with diagnosis in the early weeks, excess deaths).

Cuellar

R RATE BACK TO 1

WE'RE FUCKED

Cloud

At least one of the graphs looks good

king_tubby

Spike in Leeds this week, probably related to 1000s of dickheads celebrating Leeds getting promoted in the city centre two weeks back.

jobotic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53697256

From a purely morbid point of view, quite fascinating:

QuotePlaces with the highest rate of people moving onto Universal Credit since March

Guildford - 148%
    Harrow - 142%
    Kingston-Upon-Thames - 138%
    Hemel Hempstead - 129%
    Redhill - 128%
    Stevenage - 127%
    Luton - 126%
    Bromley - 124%
    Ilford - 120%
    North West London - 117%

Cuellar

That'll be all the legal aid solicitors.

Zetetic

For anyone wondering what "rate" means there, I think they mean the % increase over March figures.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 06, 2020, 09:56:51 AM
Touching his mask, wanker

The baldness and jacket reminds me of one of the pensioners that came into my local. If he keeps the mask on they might think he's an inmate trying to escape when he leaves.

Chedney Honks

Let's go, baby.

TFD Remastered.

Quote from: jobotic on August 07, 2020, 03:37:37 PM
Source please. Bloke off 4chan or bloke off reddit?

BBC;

QuoteCoronavirus: UK death count reduced by 5,000 under new rules

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53722711

Fambo Number Mive

Hancock's "urgent" review just means that the Tories are now claiming we have less deaths than India (a country of over 1 billion people) instead of more. We still have one of the highest death rates from Covid in the world.

Alberon

What's the excess death rate now?

Quote from: Chedney Honks on August 12, 2020, 06:17:08 PM
IGNORE HIM

ignore me by all means, but you might want to listen to the BBC

BlodwynPig

Pranet

If I am reading this right, then that doesn't actually mean that 5000 less people have actually died from C19, just that 5000 less people died from C19 within 28 days of a positive test. Bringing England into line with the rest of the UK in how the headline figure is calculated (and also making the government look a bit better in the eyes of dimwits). There is apparently going to be a separate figure of deaths after 60 days. Helpful and interesting figures I am sure but not really much of a change to the actual numbers of people who have died due to C19.

frajer

Yep just a pack of lies. Fuck it, make it within 300 days. Zero deaths from COVID, all praise to Kim-Jong Johnson and his data fudging mega excellent leadership.

Chedney Honks

The UK has been cunted economically and from a public health perspective to a far greater extent than any of our European peers (if I dare call them that). Mocking NZ for their four cases is dismal politicking from 'people' who are more concerned by point scoring than the mound of fondant carrion on their own doorstep.

National pride under these circumstances is revolting, unquestioning hatred - nothing more, nothing less.

Alberon

Sacrificing lives to save the economy is evil, but understandable.

But to cunt both up the wall takes a special kind of ineptitude. They've even had time left to bugger up the further education system as they only seemed to consider the problems there yesterday morning.