Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,462
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 02:46:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Post Naked Gun 33/3 Leslie Nelson parodies - The final insult?

Started by Johnny Textface, August 05, 2020, 07:02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Textface

There's a few but think I've only seen Spy Hand. Are they all complete wand?

Shit Good Nose

Wrongfully Accused is pretty good, certainly better than Spy Hard (which is probably the best one after that).  I seem to remember the spoof National Geographic video being good, but then I also liked the Bad Golf vids when they came out and seeing those quite recently I was struck by how dull they are.

After that there isn't really anything worthwhile.

I remember laughing a bit at The Exorcist parody Repossessed, but I was very young and it's probably pretty crap.

EDIT: But that's before 33 and a third.

Gulftastic

PlanktonSideburns

does

HOT SHOTS

the top gun parody still stand up?

or the lethal weapon one with emilo estephez in?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on August 05, 2020, 10:12:53 PM
does

HOT SHOTS

the top gun parody still stand up?

or the lethal weapon one with emilo estephez in?

Yes to both.

McChesney Duntz

I actually know the guy who wrote the original script for Loaded Weapon I - he still credits himself as "professional screenwriter" on Twitter and such, though his work was extensively rewritten and he has no credits of any kind before or afterwards - and I'm sure he'd be very pleased to hear that somebody still thinks well of it.

And Hot Shots! is all right, but the sequel is much better.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on August 05, 2020, 10:32:13 PM
I actually know the guy who wrote the original script for Loaded Weapon I - he still credits himself as "professional screenwriter" on Twitter and such, though his work was extensively rewritten and he has no credits of any kind before or afterwards - and I'm sure he'd be very pleased to hear that somebody still thinks well of it.

tell him from me that i loved it as a kid, gonna chase it down again

THROW ME YOUR GUN

i dont have one

WELL, TAKE THIS THEN

NOW THROW IT HERE!

brilliant

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on August 05, 2020, 10:28:25 PM
Yes to both.

Minobore: A Load of Bull

A decent parody, but does it count if it stars Jen also and im exec producer?

Loaded Weapon 1 is amazing until the last half hour. Then the laughs dry up and you get that awful Wayne's World bit.

"Chicken"

evilcommiedictator

I brought 2001: A Space Travesty on DVD and got about a third of the way in, and.......never watched it it again.

I've got a soft spot for Spy Hard for Weird Al references and the themesong, but the Home Alone jokes are just so bad. Wrongfully Accused is amazing though, and if Patriot Games was actually a decent movie it'd make more sense being one of the main themes of the movie.

I don't mind Mafia! but being an Abrahams only movie it's not the same

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on August 07, 2020, 05:58:18 AM
I brought 2001: A Space Travesty on DVD and got about a third of the way in, and.......never watched it it again.

I was wondering how long it would be before that film got a mention on 'ere. It's a truly terrible film, Leslie Nielsen made some awful dross in the twilight of his career, he was like the Ray Milland of spoof films.

McChesney Duntz

Worst of all was his appearance in the wretched right-wing attempt at spoofery, An American Carol - he appeared in even worse films than this (including two more before he popped his clogs), but the fact that David Zucker was responsible for it is just simply fucking depressing.

And Spy Hard could be worse, but it should still be sent to the cinematic abbatoir for encouraging its screenwriters, the dread Friedberg and Seltzer, to keep doing what they did there. Feh.

Keebleman

If was as if Nielsen didn't understand why the joke of his casting in Airplane worked so well.  He, along with Stack, Graves, Bridges etc, were stolid, boring actors who had spent 30 or 40 years delivering stolid, boring dialogue, and watching them use that same style with insane material was hilarious.  Actually trying to be funny could never work. 

SavageHedgehog

Was Spy Hard the pivot point where parody movies started being built around spoofs\recreations of specific scenes rather than being goofy riffs on a genre? Moments like that had always existed of course (e.g. the Saturday Night Fever scene in Airplane!, the Untouchable Potemikin spoof in 33 1\3) but they became the focus at a certain point. Wrongfully Accused was in that mold and Scary Movie popularised it. Although I guess maybe Airplane was kind of like that, but not many of us had seen Zero Hour!.

Panbaams

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on August 11, 2020, 12:35:38 PM
Was Spy Hard the pivot point where parody movies started being built around spoofs\recreations of specific scenes rather than being goofy riffs on a genre? Moments like that had always existed of course (e.g. the Saturday Night Fever scene in Airplane!, the Untouchable Potemikin spoof in 33 1\3) but they became the focus at a certain point. Wrongfully Accused was in that mold and Scary Movie popularised it. Although I guess maybe Airplane was kind of like that, but not many of us had seen Zero Hour!.

The difference is that you don't need to have seen Zero Hour! to enjoy Airplane!, whereas recreating a specific scene is more of a jab in the ribs ("Do you get it? Do you see what we're doing?") and there's always the thing that the joke will whoosh over your head if you don't know what the reference is. I hadn't seen The Crying Game when I first saw Naked Gun 331/3, so the (spoilery) reference to it was a bit meaningless.

dissolute ocelot

It's definitely possible to parody things people haven't seen in an entertaining fashion, but a lot of filmmakers just don't care and do parodies in a half-assed, pointless, drawn-out, unfunny, soul-destroying way that's totally unenjoyable unless you get the reference. It's good when you enjoy something and then discover it's a parody (as with a lot of classic Simpsons) and get the extra depth. A lot of old Looney Tunes cartoons seem to use incredibly specific parodies of now totally forgotten things, but as long as it's fun and energetic, it doesn't matter.

evilcommiedictator

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on August 11, 2020, 12:35:38 PM

I just watched National Lampoon's Loaded Weapon from recommendations on this thread (or the other one) and like, if you hadn't seen Basic Instinct or Silence of the Lambs you'd be baffled, let alone whichever of the Lethal Weapon films has the helicopter destroy the beach side shack

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on August 12, 2020, 06:05:14 AM
I just watched National Lampoon's Loaded Weapon from recommendations on this thread (or the other one) and like, if you hadn't seen Basic Instinct or Silence of the Lambs you'd be baffled, let alone whichever of the Lethal Weapon films has the helicopter destroy the beach side shack

was it any good tho?

up_the_hampipe

I liked him as the President in Scary Movie 3, which is the best of the Scary Movie franchise.

gilbertharding

The Scary Movie franchise is odd, because it started out (I think) as a parody of Scream, which was itself a meta-horror movie. I think. As in, Scream was already a parody, but in a good, proper sense - an actual horror movie which deliberately used tropes from horror movies. Making the original Scary Movie almost completely redundant.

Perhaps. I mean, tell me that's wrong.

McChesney Duntz

Not wrong at all. People were commenting on that since it came out. Scream's original title was Scary Movie, for feck's shakes. As an admirer of good parody, that always pissed me off a bit.

up_the_hampipe

Well they brought the David Zucker in for the third one, which is why it improved. The Wayans brothers and Friedberg & Seltzer seemed to have little understanding of what parody means.

SavageHedgehog

Yep, I was quite excited for it and at the time it didn't disappoint (much). Enjoyable enough to be worth dealing with "got excited for a second sequel to Scary Movie because it was being whitewashed and watered down (to a PG-13)" on my judgement day.