Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:56:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Things that brighten up your day slightly

Started by Mister Cairo, May 25, 2005, 03:26:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Cairo

As a counterbalance to the mildly irritating thread.

Being wished a happy birthday by building society workers a few weeks ago. Oh, and by the University computer system.

Peking O

I think these threads should form a series that gently creeps towards some things we actually do care about. Up next: "Things that bother you a little bit more, but aren't necessarily the end of the world."

Suttonpubcrawl

You can't spend all your time worrying about the big things in life. If everyone spent all their time worrying about things like social justice and poverty, there'd be no one to worry about things like whether the 15 bus should stop at Blackwall station or if it should carry on to Canning Town.

Cliche Guevara

It depends on whether that's a big double-decker or not.

The smile that the gorgeous checkout girl at Sainsbury's gives me every time she sees me, even though I know she has no real interest in me.

The fact that I am living an incredibly comfortable life and my "problems" don't really merit the word.

Cerys

Making a casserole from leftover chicken, mixing everything in a saucepan and then having it exactly fit the casserole dish. (This didn't happen today.  Bah.)

zozman

I really don't like children much, but I always tend to make daft faces and stick my tongue out when I see one in the supermarket or somewhere and I know that nobody else can see me.  That cheers me up.

And no, I don't mean stick my tongue out in a sensual manner, and I know I have a daft face anyway.  God, you've always got to watch what you say on here eh?  :)

We had a thread similar to this a bit back which I really enjoyed.  Not to say we shouldn't have this one too, as they're a bit different.

Captain Crunch

Quote from: "zozman"IWe had a thread similar to this a bit back which I really enjoyed.

Didn't someone mention the knocking a urinal cake down the chute with a stream of piss thing on that?

zozman

Des Nilsen

I think just having it be a nice, warm day does it for me. It is today, right now where I am, and it's brilliant. Mind you, when it gets hotter and hotter and a great deal more regular it might be uncomfy, but right now it's great.

Also, a hug from my one and a bit year old niece brightens things right up. We play games pulling faces, stamping our feet and crossing our arms and so on. There's nothing more invigorating than a happy, smiling new life.

-

Saturday Boy

Finishing my last ever exam ever an hour ago.

terminallyrelaxed

Today's my last working day for 5 whole days!

Its sunny!

Its payday!

I made her laugh!

Lee

Finishing not one, but two college projects, and buying a copy of a rare Aphex Twin promo 12" on eBay, all in the space of 60 seconds. Ah, life is good.

Now you see, a month or two ago I'd have been too depressed to say that. Something must be working now.

The little things are important.  Having happy music down my ears as I push my way past ignorant, tall fucks during the rush hour is invaluable to my sanity.

This morning I skipped to Hunting Tigers Out in the Indiah- YA!  E-mails from friends at work cheer me up.   Being smiled at by someone always makes me really happy.  A warm cup of tea made for you without asking is fab.  Gawd, there's loads.

Aaaaah and A Pop Singer's Fear of the Pollen Count has just come on my headphones here.  :-)

Cerys

Quote from: "Des Nilsen"Also, a hug from my one and a bit year old niece brightens things right up. We play games pulling faces, stamping our feet and crossing our arms and so on. There's nothing more invigorating than a happy, smiling new life.

Aw, that's made me feel all warm and snuggly inside.  There goes my mean, callous. heartless reputation.

Captain Crunch

micanio

Quote from: "Des Nilsen"

Also, a hug from my one and a bit year old niece brightens things right up. We play games pulling faces, stamping our feet and crossing our arms and so on. There's nothing more invigorating than a happy, smiling new life.

-

I know exactly what you mean. When ever my 6 month old daughter smiles at me when I come home from work, it brightens me up no matter what kind of day I've had...

Jemble Fred

I'll stop clicking on this thread now, as I'm finding it way too depressing. In 25 minutes I'll go home to my grunting housemate, say 'Good evening', get no reply, and go and smoke myself stupid until bedtime.

Perhaps if I steal a smiling child...

Captain Crunch

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"Perhaps if I steal a smiling child...

or kidnap Dennis Waterman?

Labian Quest

People collecting or volunteering for charity, or just acts of charity in general always cheer me up and impress me no end; just the fact that they're taking time out to help other people for no personal gain is very cool.

Coughlan

I recently compared a charity gig for Make Poverty History, that was nice to see people choosing to particpate and take part without being asked.

Rats

So who won then? Who was poorEST? What page of the kestral book of records do they appear on? Not being funny cheers me up.

Coughlan

Cerys

Things like this, just on BBC Wales News:

QuoteTwenty-one year old Ryan Gamble, who can't be identified for legal reasons....

Heh.

Coming home to The Rutles and Meaning of Life DVDs waiting in your sitting room for you.  Thanks, Darrell! :-)

klaatu!

Watching Wong Kar-Wai films all afternoon tends to brighten your mood. I'm going to try and track down the Chungking Express soundtrack now.

Morrisfan82

Thinking 'bloody hell, I really should cut down on my drinking and smoking'... and then actually doing it, despite having like the worst willpower of all time.

"Like anyone could ever know that, Napoleon."

Coughlan

Why just talking to you guys makes me smile inside and out.

Cerys

Quote from: "Muteki""Like anyone could ever know that, Napoleon."

I just looked that up on Google, to see if it was a Man From U.N.C.L.E. quote.  The one place that had it also had this:

QuoteThe MOST painful [way to die] would be decapitation via a series of papercuts.

Which has brightened up my day a bit.

slim

This place, ladyslim, good food, a great game, lots more. There's loads of things that brighten my day slightly. The secret is to look for them and not the bad things I reckon.