Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:57:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Working with the Government

Started by BlodwynPig, August 06, 2020, 05:17:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Relatively few of you will know that I submitted a funding application for a project to work on a more rigorous method to estimate virus prevalence in the population from wastewater / excreta data.

On Monday it was rejected without review because UKRI have changed their funding strategy since I submitted and won't fund in areas already covered by grants. This was meant to buy me a year of time to find a more permanent position in academia.

They did recommend contacting the Joint Biosecurity Centre but didn't give a name, so I reached to a certain Dr. Funk who has contacts in JBC/ONS and he referred me to a man who referred me to a man who referred me to a man called Jazz, who works in the cabinet office. They are very interested in speaking with me to look at ways we can collaborate.

I'm quite excited. I always did love Jazz Funk.

If this comes off, I could be working with the Government. This may mean you observe more rational and sensible posts from me moving forward.

Who else works With the Government?

Blumf

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 06, 2020, 05:17:15 PM
a more rigorous method to estimate virus prevalence in the population from wastewater / excreta data.

Sounds like a load of shite, mate.

Hand Solo

Blodwyn awaits his long leisurely Dr David Kelly walk in the woods.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: His Name Is Death on August 06, 2020, 05:23:30 PM
Woman, surely?

In any case, congratulations!

who sang that Spaceman song? or Killing Joke guy.

Anyway, you were right...

and thanks, still very early days, but surprisingly fast, all done in 1 day from first meeting with my boss to response from the cabinet office.

BlodwynPig

Coincidentally this popped up in Discogs just now, released tomorrow

Synchronicity

Shit Good Nose

I started my working life in central government, dipped my toes into the private sector for a couple of years and absolutely hated it (more the specific job I was doing rather than the private sector itself), before ending up in local government, which is where I've been for getting on for 21 years now.  (I don't want to go into too much detail about where I work or what I actually do, not because it's some sexy top secret spy stuff, but because [as I've mentioned lots of times before] I'm 99.99recurring% sure one of the senior managers is also an active member here, and I have in the past been very critical about my employers AND told some stories about a few colleagues...).

If you'd have told me less than a year ago that by the summer of 2020 a local government job would be about as safe and secure as you could get in this country, I'd have laughed in your face and then sunk to my knees and cried.

BlodwynPig

Shit Good Nose

Just make sure you use vaseline this time.

shiftwork2

Blods loves the BBC posts incoming.

Actually no that's not possible.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: shiftwork2 on August 06, 2020, 06:42:53 PM

I think the main thing we've learnt from this thread is that Blods loves shit in all its viscosities.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: bgmnts on August 06, 2020, 06:34:04 PM
How do you sleep at night?

I don't know how to answer this because 1) I don't know who it's aimed at and 2) I don't know what it's in response or relation to...

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on August 06, 2020, 06:46:22 PM
I think the main thing we've learnt from this thread is that Blods loves shit in all its viscosities.

My Master's project involved high rate composting of pig manure, where I would have to periodically empty and "turn" a pile of pig compost in the middle of the night in some fucking haunted warehouse owned by the University. It's been all slurry since.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on August 06, 2020, 06:49:20 PM
I don't know how to answer this because 1) I don't know who it's aimed at and 2) I don't know what it's in response or relation to...

He is referring to Matt Baker's question to David Cameron on the One Show.

In answer BGMNTS, I will let you know as the news just came today

Thomas

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on August 06, 2020, 06:00:22 PM
I'm 99.99recurring% sure one of the senior managers is also an active member here

Do you get the sense from them that they're a Cabber, or from a Cabber that they're your senior manager?

seepage

mate works in insurance but reckons he's secretly been working for the government, defending the NHS against ransomware and fending off hackers after are meds

bgmnts

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on August 06, 2020, 06:49:20 PM

It's aimed at Blodwyn working with the govt the fucking sellout.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Thomas on August 06, 2020, 06:56:06 PM
Do you get the sense from them that they're a Cabber, or from a Cabber that they're your senior manager?

The little desk ornament with "I BAMLEM SHIT GOOD NSOE" on it is probably a big clue.

Given how we know roughly where SGN lives, and the way he keeps calling attention to his boss situation (not to mention other distinct events in his posts), I expect his boss knows as well as he does, and is just keeping schtumm so as to be professional and not stress him out any further.

Danger Man

Quote from: shiftwork2 on August 06, 2020, 06:42:53 PM

It's either going to be "I'm going to destroy the Government from within" or he'll just stop posting on here.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 06, 2020, 06:52:05 PM
He is referring to Matt Baker's question to David Cameron on the One Show.

Ohhhhh, of course.  Soz.

Quote from: Thomas on August 06, 2020, 06:56:06 PM

What little personal history he's given on here and a pic from university in the what do you look like thread totally matches up with this senior manager (not my senior manager - different department, but we say hello to each other as we have been in the same meetings a few times).  He mostly (and not very frequently) posts in Oscillations and rarely strays into other sub-forums.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: bgmnts on August 06, 2020, 07:01:46 PM
It's aimed at Blodwyn working with the govt the fucking sellout.

Yep, ignore me - I'm just being a dumbass.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Danger Man on August 06, 2020, 07:06:32 PM
It's either going to be "I'm going to destroy the Government from within" or he'll just stop posting on here.

Look, a job's a job. It may not come off. I won't be working directly with Cabinet ministers. The tories are not that bad. Hail Rishi, Hail Rishi

Sebastian Cobb

I wouldn't. They once sent me a letter to inform me they were in fact suckers.

chveik

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 06, 2020, 07:16:51 PM
I wouldn't. They once sent me a letter to inform me they were in fact suckers.

Picture me giving a damn? I say, sure we can discuss terms.

bgmnts

I bet Blodwyn is currently drafting some post-covid Madagascar Plan to submit to his tory masters. 

BlodwynPig

I shouldn't tell you this, but I've named it the "Cwmbran Plan"

Tony Tony Tony

I hereby out myself as SGN's boss and announce he is to be sacked in the morning... but I'm not saying which morning

Tony Tony Tony

And BTW I've found Blodders in the BBC news, he seems about to attack a co-worker with a scaffolding pole, though it may also be him in the video wearing his smart new work suit.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-53635692