Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 10:48:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

08:08

Started by Norton Canes, August 08, 2020, 12:42:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norton Canes

What better day for some Manc acid

spaghetamine

this one's a belter

BlodwynPig

Bobby Treetops

The Aphex Twin remix of this is great as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SP_OE3qrbk

Am I right in thinking 'A Guy Called Gerald' has some input in the original of this?

buzby

Quote from: Bobby Treetops on August 11, 2020, 09:17:37 AM
The Aphex Twin remix of this is great as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SP_OE3qrbk

Am I right in thinking 'A Guy Called Gerald' has some input in the original of this?
Yes. Simpson left Price & Massey after the recording of Newbuild and the release of Voodoo Ray (which they initially didn't know was him), taking his gear with him. He wasn't happy with Martin Price and felt he was trying to rip him off (Gerald had already been burned by Rham! Records over Voodoo Ray, and had taken legal action to get ownership of the track back) They had already recorded Pacifc State, which was later fisnished and released without his permission on Quadrastate (credited to Massey/Simpson/Price, though Simpson claims he wrote all of it except Massey's clarinet part) on Price's Creed Records label.

It was heard by Gary Davies in Ibiza who started playing it in Radio 1, and they were offered a record deal by ZTT. The track was rerecorded as 'Pacific' in various mixes and released by ZTT credited as written by 808 State, which caused Simpson to sue them as well for unpaid royalties.

Neomod

Coincidentally I'm doing a series of retro synth/gear art prints at the moment and recently did the TR-707.  Soon to be followed by the 808 and 909.[nb]This isn't an advert Barry[/nb]

Always lusted after them but could never afford them at the time.

Non Stop Dancer

Are you selling those? Definitely a market for it I expect.

Bobby Treetops

Quote from: buzby on August 11, 2020, 10:33:12 AM
Yes. Simpson left Price & Massey after the recording of Newbuild and the release of Voodoo Ray (which they initially didn't know was him), taking his gear with him. He wasn't happy with Martin Price and felt he was trying to rip him off (Gerald had already been burned by Rham! Records over Voodoo Ray, and had taken legal action to get ownership of the track back) They had already recorded Pacifc State, which was later fisnished and released without his permission on Quadrastate (credited to Massey/Simpson/Price, though Simpson claims he wrote all of it except Massey's clarinet part) on Price's Creed Records label.

It was heard by Gary Davies in Ibiza who started playing it in Radio 1, and they were offered a record deal by ZTT. The track was rerecorded as 'Pacific' in various mixes and released by ZTT credited as written by 808 State, which caused Simpson to sue them as well for unpaid royalties.

Cheers Buzby! Informative as ever.

Quote from: buzby on August 11, 2020, 10:33:12 AM

I never got on with the versions after Pacific State off of the Quadrastate E.P. - the rerecording seemed too manic and Gerald was on fire back then for simple arrangements and spot on sound design.

Speaking of Gerald, Voodoo Ray and Blow Your House Down on the same EP was an incredible achievement.