Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:45:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Billy Nomates

Started by Sebastian Cobb, August 08, 2020, 07:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

This came out yesterday, it ended up getting retweeted by Dan Le Sac and I decided to whack it on. It's phenomenal, feels like a cross between a modern Patti Smith and Sleaford Mods, who I don't really rate but I really like this. It's produced by some geezer from Portishead as well.

Really good, quite bleak in places, really captures being disenfranchised and the ennui that comes with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-62zhrOTgaI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn6iJC_YZK8

https://open.spotify.com/album/7duCIMjQ9LE5UjybZ0ZqoI?si=Bcp7uUghStC8wzIOcvO3fQ

Non Stop Dancer

I see Geoff tweet about her constantly in between trying to sell his caravan but for some reason I never clicked on anything of hers until this thread. Cool story eh.

Custard

Did he manage to sell the caravan?

Non Stop Dancer

Nah, still tweeting about it as of yesterday. Yours for £19k.

spaghetamine

Hand Solo

Should have called it `Billy Namaste'.

DrGreggles

Yep, pleasantly soundtracked my Sunday morn.

ArtParrott

Quote from: Non Stop Dancer on August 08, 2020, 08:45:21 PM
I see Geoff tweet about her constantly in between trying to sell his caravan but for some reason I never clicked on anything of hers until this thread. Cool story eh.

Geoff Barrow should have his own thread here, in between the beak> and invada work he also ploughs a nice misanthropic furrow on Twitter.

Non Stop Dancer

Aye, he's a miserable fucker alright.

The Mollusk

I really wanted to enjoy this. Instrumentally it's very good, and the production is of course solid, but her voice is irritating. Normally I don't mind a bit of accent crossover as people find their singing voice in many different ways but the strange melding of American soulfulness and British spoken-word style is jarring. I don't feel the cool nonchalance you'd get from Ari Up and I don't feel the heart or soul behind it either, it just feels undercooked and, at times, boring.

There's every possible chance I would have been able to excuse this and find the overall experience pleasant enough, however, if it weren't for the relentlessly dire lyricism. Stacking shelves, that's a tedious job isn't it? Ooh, the environment, metal straws, some people just don't care do they? Think about it! Bloody awful. I had to turn it off when that turkey from Sleaford Mods turned up and delivered these unfathomably deep lines: "I really hate myself / I really hate this job / I really hate this coffee / I really hate my boss." Cringeworthy dreck.

Oz Oz Alice

I gave it a go despite my better judgement: John Robb has been boosting her while taking a break from promoting himself using the deaths of more talented people and I should've paid heed to that warning. She'd be alright if she'd drop the fake American accent, but people with expensive PR companies talking about the little people always has and always will continue to make me sick. I wanted to like her though, I really did.

Chriddof

Same here. Wanted to like this, but the vocal performance and lyrics just kill it stone dead. I think it needs some genuine strangeness, some extra spark that lifts it out of its odd transatlantic humdrum Britishness. And hearing John Robb's involved further turns me off.