Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 09:57:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Infantile language 2020

Started by Twit 2, August 09, 2020, 04:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ornlu

Pink Gregory

Since I always assume that everyone is the same age as me (misplaced narcissism?  Don't know), 'adulting' just makes me think; well fuck, you're 29 and you've taken the bins out.  Here's a fucking medal.

flotemysost

This was covered in the previous thread, but every time I see that Pinch of Nom cookery book cropping up in the bestseller charts, another part of me dies.

Quote from: Pink Gregory on August 09, 2020, 06:11:10 PM
We do use 'Holibob' in this house.

My flatmate is listening to Holiday by Green Day in her room at the moment and now I'm just imagining Billie Joe Armstrong squalling "...ON HOLIBOB!"

Myriad pop hits could be re-imagined with the hateful word.

If we took a holibob
Took some time to celebrate
Just one day out of life
It would be, it would be so nice

or

We're all going on a summer holibob
No more working for a week or two

And I thought that one couldn't get any more sinister.

Cerys

[tag]Dead Kennedys consider rewrite[/tag]

thenoise

Quote from: flotemysost on August 09, 2020, 09:49:10 PM
Anyone who eats veggies or drinks a drinkipoos (the latter being at gin o'clock) also deserves to end.

"Are you veggie?"
Well, I follow a vegetarian diet
"Ooo I could never be veggie"
I wasn't asking you to be...
"Tried it for 2 weeks as a teenager ended up at the doctor"
Did you eat nothing but chips by any chance?

ZoyzaSorris

I think he's referring to the maddening US habit of referring to vegetables as veggies isn't he?

Chedney Honks

Chef Rodney on Masterchef US is always cunting on about 'veggies' but far worse to me, albeit not infantile or in the spirit of the thread, is referring to 'the protein', 'beautiful piece of protein', 'cooking the protein' and it makes me fucking SICK.

It's a chicken
It's a fush
It's a sausage
It's a beef
They are eggs

It's not fucking PROTEIN

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Chedney Honks on August 10, 2020, 08:15:51 AM
Chef Rodney on Masterchef US is always cunting on about 'veggies' but far worse to me, albeit not infantile or in the spirit of the thread, is referring to 'the protein', 'beautiful piece of protein', 'cooking the protein' and it makes me fucking SICK.

It's a chicken
It's a fush
It's a sausage
It's a beef
They are eggs

It's not fucking PROTEIN

Venality. Lifestyle choice. Fushion.

buttgammon

It's a chicken
It's a fush
It's a sausage
It's a beef
They are eggs

It's not fucking PROTEIN

I've seen this on menus before, and it made me feel vaguely sick. Not only is it puerile, it's inaccurate, because protein is only one component of any of those things. If you ever overcook meat and see that white stuff coming out of the flesh, that's protein, but nobody wants a beautiful piece of that.

shiftwork2

This all started from a contestant on 1980s Blockbusters who referred to a telephone as a 'phneletone' and got a massive laugh.  Biggest cunt in history.

rack and peanut

Quote from: thenoise on August 10, 2020, 07:16:19 AM
"Are you veggie?"
Well, I follow a vegetarian diet
"Ooo I could never be veggie"
I wasn't asking you to be...
"Tried it for 2 weeks as a teenager ended up at the doctor"
Did you eat nothing but chips by any chance?

It's "meat free" or "plant based" diet now, apparently vegetarian is too ginger beer to sell soy burgers of summat.

jobotic

Quote from: Jock Macabre on August 09, 2020, 06:28:56 PM
Some people round here say 'hospikul' instead of 'hospital', and being a Scot with a still-very broad accent, I tend not to take issue with regional variations in pronunciation but 'hospikul' has always sounded uniquely infantile to me.
They also have two different ways of pronouncing 'ibuprofen'...both of which are entirely wrong.

Is that like when they say "arst" instead of ask in Eastenders? Is it a real regional variation?

buttgammon

Quote from: jobotic on August 10, 2020, 09:38:44 AM
Is that like when they say "arst" instead of ask in Eastenders? Is it a real regional variation?

A lot of younger Londoners say this or "arks", and it's very similar to the African-American "aks" for "ask" - maybe there's a connection?

touchingcloth

I need protein, spray that hot man fat up my tuppence.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Ornlu on August 09, 2020, 11:05:17 PM
"So, ..."

Every YouTube video starts with this. So, hi guys, sorry I haven't posted in a while. See also every online recipe.

The Mollusk

S'not really infantile though, is it? It's just something people awkwardly say to make the things they're saying feel more natural and less rigid.

See also: "I mean..."

touchingcloth

Quote from: The Mollusk on August 10, 2020, 10:32:11 AM
S'not really infantile though, is it? It's just something people awkwardly say to make the things they're saying feel more natural and less rigid.

I mean

Quote from: touchingcloth on August 09, 2020, 06:24:53 PM
I mean

Sebastian Cobb

It's a chicken
It's a fush
It's a sausage
It's a beef
They are eggs

It's not fucking PROTEIN

If some twat asks for some PROTIEN give the cunt a big pile of chickpeas and see how they like it.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: poodlefaker on August 10, 2020, 10:54:51 AM
Yorkies, roasties
And yet you serve them roast terrier and see how they react.

Kryton

'How old were you when you found out XYZ'....

I WAS TODAY OLD.

--

Grave.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Kryton on August 10, 2020, 11:09:31 AM
'How old were you when you found out XYZ'....

I WAS TODAY OLD.

--

Grave.

I'm 'Hello Nasty is their new one' years old.

Cuellar

'poorly'

'Oooh are you feeling poorly? Feeling a little bit poorly, are you?'

Shut UP! Fuck OFF!!

The Mollusk

Quote from: touchingcloth on August 10, 2020, 10:48:13 AM
Quote from: The Mollusk on August 10, 2020, 10:32:11 AM

I mean

Quote from: touchingcloth on August 09, 2020, 06:24:53 PM
I mean

I mean...

Really though?

Jerzy Bondov

My friend calls scrambled eggs 'scrambies' and sausages 'snorkers' and I can't have breakfast with him now because it turns my stomach.

Twit 2

The Mollusk

"Snack" as a verb.

Fucking throbbing carbuncle wearing a rugby top with the collar popped and a pair of Toms loafers walks up to the bar in Putney while waiting for the boat race to start.

"Hey buddy, what've you got that we can mmmsnack on?"

Ramekin of pistachios and a posh sausage roll, £8. Does he want the sausage roll warmed up and brought to the table outside with a dollop of mustard? Of course he does, the fucking cunt.

seepage

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on August 10, 2020, 07:42:00 AM
maddening US habit of referring to vegetables as veggies

Also Australian e.g. Maeve O'Meara on Food Safari.

touchingcloth

Why do we teach kids stupid words anyway? Like why is the alphabet pronounced differently when we teach it to kids? Why do parents talk about "front bottoms"? I get that you wouldn't want your toddler to start talking about cocks and cunts, but at least let them know that normal people call it a penis when they want to not be coarse and that anyone talking about willies wants theirs lopping off pronto.

touchingcloth

I spoke to a client at work on the phone recently who gave me their email address using their own take on a phonetic alphabet, and it was all along the lines of "d for Disney" and "h for Hogwarts".

It took a lot of self control to tell them not to go immediately to Gruffalo Ravenclaw Art Attack Victor & Hugo Earthworm Jim.