Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:28:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Infantile language 2020

Started by Twit 2, August 09, 2020, 04:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

the email scheduling thing I use has this as the example filler text

Bacon ipsum dolor sit amet
Leberkas jowl pig shank beef pastrami chuck short ribs swine bacon. Prosciutto ham cow venison. Frankfurter tail leberkas tongue t-bone. Turkey ball tip biltong, prosciutto ham andouille pork belly. Tri-tip salami chicken, tenderloin kielbasa swine spare ribs filet mignon sausage.
List item 1
List item 2
List item 3
Subheading
Corned beef beef ribs pastrami swine pork belly shoulder pork loin ham hock hamburger t-bone bacon. Beef chuck hamburger, bacon cow venison fatback shoulder jowl prosciutto jerky ham hock spare ribs salami flank.

LOL MEAT

dissolute ocelot

Has anyone mentioned Loaf sofas yet? Their TV adverts are annoying but nothing next to the website:

QuoteGet deep, down and squishy with these laid-back loafing machines

Handmade in Blighty, our sofas are the comfiest, snuggliest in town.

Come and have a play in our slowrooms where our lovely Loafers are on hand to help. And if you decide you're not 100% happy, we'll be sad, but we'll refund you in full and take back the sofa for free as long as you let us know within the first 14 days. Easy.

I think that means their staff are called "Loafers". Their sofas have many horrendous names including the "Squishmeister", "Squisharoo" and "Sugar Bum", which is what nearly got Homer Simpson in jail. I'd rather sit on nails.

idunnosomename

the Squishmeister sounds like a sofa Homer designed for the average man that has like a duff beer fridge built into it and a horn that plays la cucaracha and costs $80,000

Retinend

Maybe we need a "LOL RANDOM" thread to distinguish from true "infantile" language. Also, we need to distinguish those two from pure faddishness, e.g. "on it like a car bonnet" or "jesus fuck" or "you hate to see it" as taxons within the field of annoyingology.

Pink Gregory

The use of 'grown-up' as an adjective/adverb by supposed adults, usually a scold to any kind of friction, is irrititating in the extreme.  Intentionally patronising in so many ways.

Retinend

In what context is it patronising? In an increasingly infantilised world, I find myself using it as an adjective in the spirit of surprise: "that was very grown-up of you!" [a friend did something brave or sensible], though I would never literally say "it's a grown-up film", rather I might compliment it as "a film for grownups". Hm 🤔

Kankurette

If you're on Facebook, the Live Love Laugh Legends group is full of this crap.

Also, just a reminder that Innocent smoothies can fuck right off.

Kankurette

Quote from: Marner and Me on August 16, 2020, 09:06:25 PM
Wholesome
It's really caught on in social justice/queer circles and I hate it and it makes me want to stab myself in the eyes.

The Bumlord

Quote from: Kankurette on September 28, 2020, 07:08:56 PM
Also, just a reminder that Innocent smoothies can fuck right off.

Correct. But they're tasty and currently on offer in Waitrose so what can a boy do?

chveik

idunnosomename

Quote from: Utterdrivel on September 29, 2020, 12:33:44 AM
Correct. But they're tasty and currently on offer in Waitrose so what can a boy do?
wholesome smoothies all over my face, baby

Kankurette

Quote from: jamiefairlie on August 24, 2020, 07:50:14 PM
Everything that attempts to be cute about drinking booze is just shit. It's just a way to obfuscate the fact that the person is an alcoholic - see 'wine o'clock' or anything referencing Prosecco.
Prosecco isn't even that great. And whoever came up with the idea of Prosecco potato snacks needs shooting.

Kankurette

Quote from: Marner and Me on August 25, 2020, 01:07:36 PM
Magic and Sparkle it's called now, we had a night club called Destiny and Elite, aka Desperate and Easy.
I remember that place. Never went there myself, due to not looking 21, but I knew girls in my year who did. Wasn't it in Ellesmere Port or somewhere equally depressing?

seepage

Quote from: Kankurette on September 29, 2020, 03:21:18 PM
Prosecco isn't even that great.

The Spanish must wonder why they bother keep turning the heavy Cava bottles when you can get away with just chucking some CO2 in a big tank. Also the producers of decent Italian fizz like Franciacorta & Ferrari.

touchingcloth

Ornlu

Quote from: Kankurette on September 28, 2020, 09:31:54 PM
It's really caught on in social justice/queer circles

Frustratingly, hotbeds of the absolute worst infantile, cutesy language for some reason.

idunnosomename

when did things stop being "unacceptable" and start being "not ok" anyway

Icehaven

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 30, 2020, 11:51:11 AM

I thought this was relatively recent (last decade or so) but I was watching something from the mid-90s a few days ago and someone said it.

pcsjwgm

I'm trying to consume fewer animal products, so I've been visiting several vegan blogs and YouTube channels. Although they are often helpful and interesting, I've come across some awful terms: "tofurkey" for tofu turkey; a dessert made from blended frozen bananas is called "nice cream"; and granola made using raw ingredients is called "rawnola".

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: pcsjwgm on September 30, 2020, 01:38:24 PM
I'm trying to consume fewer animal products, so I've been visiting several vegan blogs and YouTube channels. Although they are often helpful and interesting, I've come across some awful terms: "tofurkey" for tofu turkey; a dessert made from blended frozen bananas is called "nice cream"; and granola made using raw ingredients is called "rawnola".
"oat-gurt" is another wonderfully appetising one (oatmilk yogurt).

Retinend

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 30, 2020, 11:51:11 AM

file under "talking to people you disagree with as you scold toddlers"

touchingcloth

Dude. Not OK, dude, don't be that guy, man.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on September 30, 2020, 01:42:34 PM
"oat-gurt" is another wonderfully appetising one (oatmilk yogurt).

On American shows I've heard mentions of frogurt which I assume is frozen yogurt (wouldn't that be like ice cream?) rather than being made from blended frogs.  (And after a quick google I just get cartoon references so perhaps it's just a gag and not a real thing anyway?)

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Ornlu on September 30, 2020, 10:23:05 AM
Frustratingly, hotbeds of the absolute worst infantile, cutesy language for some reason.

With cutesy fucking anime as it's visual partner.

Rizla

Just came across this whilst watching a video about Beatle releases on open reel tape. Surprisingly naked smoothie-esque for 1957.

jamiefairlie

Grown adults still having nicknames. I refuse to call anyone anything other than their first name.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: jamiefairlie on September 30, 2020, 05:07:09 PM
Grown adults still having nicknames. I refuse to call anyone anything other than their first name.

Sounds overly formal, do you permit contractions or would you be calling 'Des' Desmond every single time?

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 30, 2020, 05:31:53 PM
Sounds overly formal, do you permit contractions or would you be calling 'Des' Desmond every single time?

No that's fine it's shit like the funkmeister or bloggo or giggsy that I won't indulge in.

bgmnts

Can we call you jamo or jamesy?