Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:45:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Infantile language 2020

Started by Twit 2, August 09, 2020, 04:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: touchingcloth on August 10, 2020, 01:36:15 PM
I spoke to a client at work on the phone recently who gave me their email address using their own take on a phonetic alphabet, and it was all along the lines of "d for Disney" and "h for Hogwarts".

It took a lot of self control to tell them not to go immediately to Gruffalo Ravenclaw Art Attack Victor & Hugo Earthworm Jim.
GRAAVAHRJ

Chedney Honks

Any adult who likes Disney or Harry Potter instantly kill yourself.

I consider an adult anyone over the age of five.

Dex Sawash

touchingcloth

We have multiple clients who will send examples our way for work they want from us using fake names and addresses from kids stuff. Harry Potter, 1 Hagrid Cottage, Dumbledore St, Hermioneville. The police haven't once arrested me for any of the murders when I showed them what I had to deal with.

bgmnts

I dont get what that means beyond the idea that we've lost an entire generation.

Cerys

Quote from: Twit 2 on August 10, 2020, 11:31:03 AM
"I'm not even joking."

Worse than that?  'I'm not even lying'.

Just remembered that I've spotted that on here - sorry to whoever it was.  I'm not even joking.

Consignia

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 10, 2020, 01:55:04 PM

Jesus fucking christ. That's made me unbelievably annoyed. Even worse is some of the comments following it, which some people kind of agree with it, or do some horse trading to get the correct alignment of evil tech companies. Here's the actual tweet BTW: https://twitter.com/dadiomov/status/1291024699246252033

idunnosomename

they are all stupid and i hate them

The Mollusk

Imagine thinking any of those things is good

Dex Sawash

dissolute ocelot

I know someone (a woman with an adult job bossing about a team of middle-aged men) who regularly refers to dinners/breakfasts/snacks of beans on toast with cheese on top as "cheesy beanos". I hate this more than anything else in the world.

Cuellar

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on August 10, 2020, 03:00:20 PM
I know someone (a woman with an adult job bossing about a team of middle-aged men) who regularly refers to dinners/breakfasts/snacks of beans on toast with cheese on top as "cheesy beanos". I hate this more than anything else in the world.

She must get confused when she sees somebody reading the Beano.

touchingcloth

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 10, 2020, 01:55:04 PM

The worst thing about this is that even as someone familiar with Potter, Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff are without any defining qualities. He's either made up some defining features for them himself, or else he's essentially written Apple is Mark, Facebook is Jez, Google and Amazon are two of the non-speaking extras from Toni's party in series 1.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on August 10, 2020, 03:00:20 PMI know someone (a woman with an adult job bossing about a team of middle-aged men) who regularly refers to dinners/breakfasts/snacks of beans on toast with cheese on top as "cheesy beanos". I hate this more than anything else in the world.

Oh God, one of my ex-s used that term.  I'll be honest, I didn't mind it, but I can see how it might irritate, especially at work.

Not in Cambridge, perchance?

Marner and Me

A lad at work described warm milk mixed with something else (maybe honey) as muppy.

shiftwork2

Cheesy beanos is so good I am reevaluating this thread.

Big plate of cheesy beanos.  Superb.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Marner and Me on August 10, 2020, 06:05:57 PM
A lad at work described warm milk mixed with something else (maybe honey) as muppy.

It's milk mixed with puppies.

Big glass of muppy with the lads.

Chedney Honks

I'd says that this infantile language is is my worst thing about being alive. I miss living in any other country. What a toilet.

Marner and Me

I'm guessing it is the London Luvvies and Home County, Chelsea Tractor brigade that come out with this wank.

Cuellar

More or less, yes.

In the midlands and THE NORTH 'infantile language' is just what they call talking.

paruses

Drinks - I see people talking about having had "7 drinks last night". Maybe it's an American thing but seems infantile unlike being "on the spirits/beer/cocktails"

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on August 10, 2020, 01:41:45 PM
GRAAVAHRJ

Laughed both at reading this before the detail in the quote box and after.

GRAAVAHRJ

Blinder Data

"Mate"

"Grave"

"Dead soon"

I mean, who says this stuff? Grow up, children!!

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on August 10, 2020, 03:00:20 PM

That's what it's called tho. It's a verified Scottish delicacy. Don't diss the mighty CB

flotemysost

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on August 10, 2020, 07:42:00 AM
I think he's referring to the maddening US habit of referring to vegetables as veggies isn't he?

Yep, that's what I meant (I'm a she, by the way :) )- 'veggie' to mean vegetarian doesn't bother me, possibly because I'm sure I referred to myself as such now and then, back when I was one (five syllables is just a bit much to be trotting out every time you go for tea at someone's house or to a restaurant, not that the latter would be such a problem nowadays). But giving 'vegetable' a diminutive just seems icky and cloying, for some reason. 'Veg' is alright.

Speaking of 'maddening' US habits, one that I'm noticing a lot among my (English) friends is using 'mad' to mean disappointed or angry (or 'pissed', as the Yanks would have it, I suppose) rather than insane. "Are you mad at me?" "I didn't hit my targets and now my boss is mad." Not infantile as such, but I guess I associate it with either valley girl type speech or the way American parents would speak to their kids.

I have started saying 'super' to mean 'very' quite often, which I suppose is also quite American, but I think I've picked it up from my Italian mates as it also seems quite a common Continental English thing.

touchingcloth

I catch myself doing that too, and it's super irri'.

Has anyone ever heard someone refer to hell as h-e-double-hockey-sticks in real life?

flotemysost

No but I'd give them a swift double hockey sticks to their gob.

Sebastian Cobb

"Don't know who needs to hear this but"

Icehaven

A lot of these are making me realise I can't remember the last time I spoke to someone under 30.