Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:36:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Other people SLAMMING the music you like

Started by The Mollusk, August 10, 2020, 10:28:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Quote from: non capisco on August 31, 2020, 09:58:37 PM
We'll always have Nick Cave singing about Johnny Macaque, Ferris.

Days Are Gone.

New page esoteric HS Art in-joke.

sutin

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 31, 2020, 09:40:15 PM
A mate in 1986 commenting on my love of The Residents. "You're being taken for a ride. Unlistenable charlatans."

I mean, they largely were. That's why they were great.

idunnosomename

Peter Warlock (Brian Sewell's dad, fact fans) on Ralph Vaughan Williams:

"it is all just a little too much like a cow looking over a gate".

mid 20th century slam equal to skeleton wanking in a biscuit tin, that I reject and embrace in equal measure

Lordofthefiles

Quote from: sutin on August 31, 2020, 09:37:19 PM
Incredible String Band have been my dad's favourite band since he was a teenager.

He's a man of taste, they're a really good band.

Wee Tam being particularly great.

That's why my Dad's capsule review narked me.
...and obviously it's now forever cursed and recontextualised by his heathen utterances!!

Sin Agog

I adore ISB, but 'dicks on a pond' would have been a good Wee Tam slam.

Lordofthefiles

Quote from: non capisco on August 31, 2020, 09:49:58 PM
Pa Lordofthefiles isn't exactly a long jog from the truth with that one.

Yeah, it's pretty near the mark in actual fact.
They've definitely got a shtick/style/sound.

The amount of effort Johnny Marr put in though; I felt bad for him that my old man had dismissed his greatest artistic output in one fell swoop.

non capisco

It's mostly old racist chops bleating away with that one melody he had. Marr did his best but look what he was working with.

Lordofthefiles

Quote from: Sin Agog on August 31, 2020, 11:25:32 PM
I adore ISB, but 'dicks on a pond' would have been a good Wee Tam slam.

Genuine chuckle at that.

Bravo!

sutin

Quote from: Lordofthefiles on August 31, 2020, 11:18:10 PM
He's a man of taste, they're a really good band.

Wee Tam being particularly great.

That's why my Dad's capsule review narked me.
...and obviously it's now forever cursed and recontextualised by his heathen utterances!!

He went off them for a little while in the '70s when he learned of Robin Williamson's interest in scientology. He's a smart man.

Brundle-Fly

Coming home from Hammersmith, I once got chatting with a cab driver in 2005 about music. He told me he used to be in a band back in the sixties but I wouldn't have heard of them. I said 'Try me' and he revealed he was in The Incredible String Band. I immediately said I loved 'The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter' and he nearly crashed the cab. Ah, the days when you could impress old rock stars/ actors/ sports persons without access to a smartphone.

Sin Agog

Quote from: sutin on September 01, 2020, 12:41:02 AM
He went off them for a little while in the '70s when he learned of Robin Williamson's interest in scientology. He's a smart man.

Rumour has it that the reason why Licorice disappeared off the face of the Earth is because she was terrified of facing the wrath of Elron's myrmidons after she left the church.

Also there's a good bit in Joe Boyd's book where he's spotting the band for a meal out in L.A. (he produced Onion and Hangman after all), when some creepy, rictus-grinned waiter comes along and tips them all onto Scientology for the first time right in front of him.

I've met Williamson and Heron once each, but fuck knows what they think of it all now.  There's an interview with Robin from the late '70s where he says he was still into them- recommending Scientology as a great artistic lubricant for musicians in particular- but I can't find anything about him ever going clear, though he kinda had to at some point, right?  Heron's now basically a boozy old bloke's bloke so I reckon he ditched that shit at the same time as the kaftans.

McFlymo

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 01, 2020, 12:51:27 AM
Coming home from Hammersmith, I once got chatting with a cab driver in 2005 about music. He told me he used to be in a band back in the sixties but I wouldn't have heard of them. I said 'Try me' and he revealed he was in The Incredible String Band. I immediately said I loved 'The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter' and he nearly crashed the cab. Ah, the days when you could impress old rock stars/ actors/ sports persons without access to a smartphone.

that's a lovely story, I bet that made his week!

Ferris

Once bought frozen turkey from the original bass player for Anvil.

Rizla

I wonder who that was? Graham Forbes perhaps? I've a book by him about climbing mountains, he seems the type to have done a stint as a cabbie.

I spent a year in my early 20s living in a sort of gulag/commune operated by the scientologist partner of another ISB B-lister who got a bit put out when I played "painting box" round the campfire one night - "that was before I joined, actually"... but he used to be bezzies with Barry Smith, the original Marvel Conan artist, and he had a load of original artwork of his that I had the opportunity to half-inch but didn't (to my regret, as they probably ended up on the fire). I met his mum once, she used to live in the Chelsea hotel and tugged off Jimi Hendrix once or something. Sorry I'm rambling.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: JaDanketies on August 31, 2020, 02:05:25 PM
He was talking about The Clash and I said "Rancid suck and the Clash suck too," which is an Anal Cunt song title. He then challenged me to name three Clash songs, which I did in a matter of seconds. He then said that he would have punched me if we didn't get along so well, and on the walk home later he was still going on about it.

Why didn't you tell him you were quoting a song title?

It's like the stupid plot of a TV show where a massive misunderstanding could have been curtailed if one of them had just said the obvious thing.

JaDanketies

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on September 01, 2020, 04:32:00 PM
Why didn't you tell him you were quoting a song title?

It's like the stupid plot of a TV show where a massive misunderstanding could have been curtailed if one of them had just said the obvious thing.

I think I agreed with Anal Cunt back then. Nowadays I do not think that Rancid or The Clash suck but back then I was trve kvlt and only listened to the extremest music.

machotrouts

I was just listening to a Residents album while my cat loudly threw up in 3 different places on the floor within a metre of me, and I didn't realise it was her making that sound until I got off my sofa and stood in it.

My own assumptions SLAMMING the music I'm not sure I like but was listening to

SteveDave

No-one I know likes the Arctic Monkeys (or even thinks they're alright) but it doesn't bother me because I know they're great.

The Mollusk

Quote from: SteveDave on September 02, 2020, 10:42:21 AM
No-one I know likes the Arctic Monkeys (or even thinks they're alright) but it doesn't bother me because I know they're great.

It drives my partner mental that I'm not just a passing admirer of Arctic Monkeys, I'm a fucking MASSIVE FAN. She hates them in a way that I think might be a bit irrational based on some sort of past personal experience, but I don't question it. I have thought about just putting on some of their non-hits sometimes to see if she unknowingly gels with them, but I think if you start veering into that territory it won't be long until you're effectively Ivan fucking Pavlov. So instead I just listen to them in secret, like some shameful fetish I'm only allowed to exorcise out in the garden shed to stop me from getting blue balls and committing a mass shooting.

buttgammon

Around the start of the year I was listening to SOPHIE. My girlfriend came in the room and didn't say anything - she just winced.

Often I'll be listening to something and she'll say "that's just noise" in an Alan Partridge voice; I don't really like noise music so it's not even accurate! On the plus side, she likes my impression of Damo Suzuki in 'Peking O'.

SteveDave

Quote from: The Mollusk on September 02, 2020, 11:22:11 AM
It drives my partner mental that I'm not just a passing admirer of Arctic Monkeys, I'm a fucking MASSIVE FAN. She hates them in a way that I think might be a bit irrational based on some sort of past personal experience, but I don't question it. I have thought about just putting on some of their non-hits sometimes to see if she unknowingly gels with them, but I think if you start veering into that territory it won't be long until you're effectively Ivan fucking Pavlov. So instead I just listen to them in secret, like some shameful fetish I'm only allowed to exorcise out in the garden shed to stop me from getting blue balls and committing a mass shooting.

It feels good to know there's another like me out there. When they first became known I hated them. My girlfriend at the time had the demos and things burnt from the Internet and would play it constantly. When the LP came out someone told me that all the songs were written by Carter USM. I believed that. Then, when "Favourite Worst Nightmare" came out I suddenly got it and went mental over them.

I took my current wife to see them at the O2 on our second wedding anniversary despite the fact she's not bothered by them. We were meant to be standing but she somehow got us in the seats on the side and then just went on her phone whilst I stood and danced like a madman.

RenegadeScrew

Quote from: buttgammon on September 02, 2020, 01:10:16 PM
Around the start of the year I was listening to SOPHIE. My girlfriend came in the room and didn't say anything - she just winced.

Often I'll be listening to something and she'll say "that's just noise" in an Alan Partridge voice; I don't really like noise music so it's not even accurate! On the plus side, she likes my impression of Damo Suzuki in 'Peking O'.

I also find your Damo Suzuki impression infinitely more preferable than the music of SOPHIE.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 31, 2020, 09:40:15 PM
A mate in 1986 commenting on my love of The Residents. "You're being taken for a ride. Unlistenable charlatans."

This person wasn't called Chris, was he?