Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,357
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 05:43:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Other people SLAMMING the music you like

Started by The Mollusk, August 10, 2020, 10:28:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickyHamster

Quote from: Bently Sheds on August 13, 2020, 05:19:46 PM
I've shared this here before, but I was playing Livonia by His Name Is Alive one time; all reverb drenched ethereal gossamer sonic cathedrals and female vocals. Mrs Sheds offered the opinion it sounded like Sarah Brightman.

I never played that CD again.

pussy.

jobotic

Quote from: The Mollusk on August 13, 2020, 05:11:35 PM
https://www.nme.com/reviews/reviews-nme-1392-339214

What an abysmal piece of writing. I really like that album!

Stupid posturing wank. Suppose we should have been listening to SMASH or whatever bollocks the NME was hyping at the time.

I mean they were losing me a bit by then, but the last two tracks alone make that album more than worthwhile.

Neomod

Me too. I got the expanded edition last year and it's a delight.

turnstyle

That is one hell of an opening sentence though:

QuoteWell, you have to admit they're good at what they do. But then so was Hitler.

Brundle-Fly

A disparaging NME or MM review like that often ticked all the boxes of what I wanted from an album. SOLD. Thank you.

I don't mind people saying they don't like 'Pet Sounds' but it boils my piss when they then generalize from their own feelings that it must be crap or over-rated. Just fuck off. Accept that something might still be great even though you don't feel it when you hear it. It's binary and lazy to think that you have to like something in order for its critical artistic status to be valid.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on August 13, 2020, 06:36:57 PM
I don't mind people saying they don't like 'Pet Sounds' but it boils my piss when they then generalize from their own feelings that it must be crap or over-rated. Just fuck off. Accept that something might still be great even though you don't feel it when you hear it. It's binary and lazy to think that you have to like something in order for its critical artistic status to be valid.

Funnily enough I was watching a Captain Beefheart SNL performance earlier and there were disparaging comments saying it was awful and calling it a "performance" in inverted commas (to posit that it somehow does not qualify as a performance? It certainly looked like one to me).

Puddle of Mudd covering "About a Girl" is a bad performance. That Beefheart track was a good performance of something you don't like. I know there are less distinct parameters *coughphilmintoncough* but I don't see why it's that hard to discern. Because it isn't hard to discern. It's just a show of insecurity from the person criticising it.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on August 13, 2020, 06:36:57 PM

What makes for a valid artistic status though? All art is surely subjective, so all anyone can say for certain is that they like it or not.

spaghetamine

Me mam likes to call Boards of Canada Borings of Canada

Quote from: spaghetamine on August 13, 2020, 07:19:47 PM

My mum's mum referred to Charles Aznavour as Charles Aznovoice apparently.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Better Midlands on August 13, 2020, 08:10:26 PM
My mum's mum referred to Charles Aznavour as Charles Aznovoice apparently.

My friend's Dad always referred to Roxy Music's singer as Slimy Bryan Ferry. When said singer released an album of 30s and 40s standards, my friend's Dad bought gave her the CD with the cover crudely doctored to read "As Slime Goes By".

daf

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on August 10, 2020, 05:07:51 PM
"The sound of a harpsichord – two skeletons copulating on a tin roof in a thunderstorm. "
― Sir Thomas Beecham

Reminds me of :

Quote from: PG Wodehouse ('The Story of Cedric' from 'Mr Mulliner Speaking', 1929)"The drowsy stillness of the afternoon was shattered by what sounded to his strained senses like GK Chesterton falling on a sheet of tin."

(Funnily enough, I'd missremembered the 'sheet of tin' as 'tin roof' - which, to me, is a slightly more pleasing image - so nice one, Beecham-la!)

Goldentony

I was playing music between bands at a gig I was playing ages ago, and during I think Mindflayer the drummer comes up to me and goes ERE MATE FUCKS THIS SOUNDS LIKE SOMEONE HOOVERING

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on August 13, 2020, 03:23:15 PM
Said it was a load of wank basically, and gave it 0 out of 10. The album was that " Milky Cobras, and That" album, the one that had that single  what sounded like a wonky version of " Dancing Queen" by Abba on it. It really wasnae one of their strongest albums, to be fair.
Johnny Cigarettes went on to shag Emma Anderson from Lush at least once, as she had his baby. Not bad for a humble little music journalist from Hull.
His name is / was the shittest thing ever, though. It's like me calling myself Billy Pie And Chips.

Jockice

I once went to the pub with a couple of mates and gave them a lift home. They were both pissed and objected strongly to the Microdisney compilation I had in the CD player. Apparently it was 'shit' and sounds 'like Hall And Oates.'

1) It isn't.
2) It doesn't. And
3) What's wrong with Hall And Oates? I quite like Hall And Oates.

Had a similar thing once with another two friends and The Fire Engines. They 'can't even play' apparently.

No taste at all some people.

spaghetamine

Was just reminded of the time my housemate walked in on me listening to William Basinski and declared that it sounded like his tinnitus

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Jockice on August 27, 2020, 01:08:49 PM
I once went to the pub with a couple of mates and gave them a lift home. They were both pissed and objected strongly to the Microdisney compilation I had in the CD player. Apparently it was 'shit' and sounds 'like Hall And Oates.'

1) It isn't.
2) It doesn't. And
3) What's wrong with Hall And Oates? I quite like Hall And Oates.

Had a similar thing once with another two friends and The Fire Engines. They 'can't even play' apparently.

No taste at all some people.

I can see what your pals were getting at, but Microdisney in their prime sounded more like Supertramp than Hall and Oates. Bad call on Fire Engines, too.

Doomy Dwyer

I came home from a hard days graft one evening many years ago, all set to celebrate the occasion of my then girlfriends twenty-fourth birthday, only to find one her closest friends standing in the front room brandishing a cd case at me like a crucifix and aggressively screaming the phrase "Do you really think that this is appropriate music for a birthday party?" while the rest of her friends looked on with expressions on their faces that you seldom see outside of news reports of people being released from Belgian sex dungeons after many years involuntary service. It was a question that was at once rhetorical, accusatory and nonsensical as I had never once recommended any particular type of music that I considered appropriate for a birthday, or any other, type of party to her, or to anyone else for that matter.  I'm much more of a spontaneous, go with the vibe kind of guy. The cd in question was Hits by The Birthday Party which opens with the song The Friend Catcher and with what has been fairly accurately described as the "diseased scrawl" of Rowland S. Howard's guitar before descending further into "a malignant sense of unnameable dread", then into "paranoid menace" before the "deranged chaos" of a young Nick Cave's vocal stylings even begins to insinuate itself into the mix.

"Well, do you? Do you? Do you?"

It went on and on, with every repetition the case was thrust into my face, Norman Bates style. The reason for this unwarranted grilling was that my (then) girlfriend and her guests all worked in marketing and therefore had hopelessly prosaic imaginations, so upon seeing the spine of the cd clearly marked Birthday Party - Hits had, perhaps understandably - I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt here - concluded that this was just the thing to "really get the party pumping" - their words. It had only taken a matter of seconds before their error became violently apparent. It was the vehemence of the musical rejection that perturbed me, that and the inference that I had somehow orchestrated the mistake purposefully, perhaps even having gone so far as to record the cacophony myself specifically to piss them off and ruin their soiree. I hadn't, of course. It was a completely unfair inference. Little did I know that the evening was to take a far darker turn when they located a copy of Big Calm by Morcheeba, one of the two cds my then spouse owned (the other was Vanishing Point by Primal Scream) and bunged that into the cd player. They must have played that about a dozen times that evening. It was hellish.

Ultimately, however, I was to have the last laugh when my girlfriend left me for a marketing executive who worked in the Cologne branch of her company's offices and I was forced to move back to Kent, live with my parents for eight months and drink myself into insanity. Actually, that wasn't funny at all, come to think of it, and it took me years to get over the complete and utter collapse of my life and mind. I can laugh about it all now, though. Anyway - bigger picture and the benefit of hindsight and all that: Hits by the Birthday Party pisses all over Big Calm by Morcheeba so fuck you, bitch, and fuck your boring yuppie mates and fuck the entire country of Germany.     

non capisco

Quote from: Doomy Dwyer on August 27, 2020, 06:36:29 PM
Big Calm by Morcheeba

Oh god, that thing. Euuuchhh. I remember that musical mogodon only too well from my first post-university job when it was, funnily enough, one of only two CDs that were ever played in the office during my first month there  The other one was by a slow jam band called NeXt that featured a song called 'Cybersex' with the lyrics "Let me download all over you" and that was infinitely preferable to Morcheeba, The Brand New Heavies with M.E. I looked like Edwyn Collins viewed through the back of a spoon at the time and was too callow and timid to object to the fourth play in a row of 'Big Clam' by Morcheeba so I can just about remember every weary nanosecond of it. A record that would instill ennui in even Timmy Mallett.

phes

I played AFX's masterpiece VBS.redlof.b when youtubing with a companion after the pub one night and she said it was awful.

We don't do music anymore

flotemysost

Quote from: Doomy Dwyer on August 27, 2020, 06:36:29 PM
I came home from a hard days graft one evening many years ago, all set to celebrate the occasion of my then girlfriends twenty-fourth birthday, only to find one her closest friends standing in the front room brandishing a cd case at me like a crucifix and aggressively screaming the phrase "Do you really think that this is appropriate music for a birthday party?" while the rest of her friends looked on with expressions on their faces that you seldom see outside of news reports of people being released from Belgian sex dungeons after many years involuntary service. It was a question that was at once rhetorical, accusatory and nonsensical as I had never once recommended any particular type of music that I considered appropriate for a birthday, or any other, type of party to her, or to anyone else for that matter.  I'm much more of a spontaneous, go with the vibe kind of guy. The cd in question was Hits by The Birthday Party which opens with the song The Friend Catcher and with what has been fairly accurately described as the "diseased scrawl" of Rowland S. Howard's guitar before descending further into "a malignant sense of unnameable dread", then into "paranoid menace" before the "deranged chaos" of a young Nick Cave's vocal stylings even begins to insinuate itself into the mix.

"Well, do you? Do you? Do you?"

Amazing.

Incidentally, I used to make both of my parents a birthday mix CD every year, and I'd included tracks by The Birthday Party on my mum's mixes for at least a couple of consecutive years before she mentioned offhand one day that she can't stand Nick Cave. Cheers Mum.

Sorry, that doesn't even touch the majesty of Doomy's anecdote.

McFlymo

Quote from: spaghetamine on August 13, 2020, 07:19:47 PM

An ex (several exes ago) used to call them Bored Stiff of Canada, but it was the only music we even vaguely agreed on.

I attempted to get my last proper ex into the most important music I love by giving him about 5 CDs that were albums I really wanted him to at least give a listen to on the long drives from him to me (about 4 hours), he said he would, but never listened to a fucking second of any of them, the cunt.

And to top it off he forced me to listen to Of Monsters And Men on more than one occasion!
Rancid hure ran off with some wanker in Birmingham and lives there now, so who has had the last laugh, huh? WHO!?

McFlymo

Quote from: Blinder Data on August 10, 2020, 10:34:42 PM
While tripping on acid with a friend, I put on Electric Ladyland for the first time which sounded amazing. Big old drums slopping about the place, phat guitar, sexy lyrics, it was perfect.

Then my friend said in an exaggerated American accent "it's grooooooovy baaaby!".

Ruined.

Me and a mate did this once!

Although we ruined our experience only by completing the album and following it up with Sgt. Peppers, which in comparison was incredibly try hard and cringey. I've never felt the same way about the Beatles since!

phes

Another Boards of Canada anecdote with an ex who in contrast to previous tales of boredom called Music has the Right to Children 'mentally ill' and banned me from playing any BOC

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: McFlymo on August 28, 2020, 01:43:32 AM
Me and a mate did this once!

Although we ruined our experience only by completing the album and following it up with Sgt. Peppers, which in comparison was incredibly try hard and cringey. I've never felt the same way about the Beatles since!

I had the Rolling Stones kinda ruined for me the same way, except the album we'd just listened to was We're Only In It For The Money. The Stones just sounded a bit lame and untrippy, so they got binned off after one song and we just played that album again. I kinda wish we'd given Electric Ladyland a try, I had the CD but can't recall ever listening to it tripping.

That was a lovely day. A little while earlier I had to be convinced not to return to the tobacconist and complain about the rubber fags he'd just sold me.

Custard

Mid 90s, me loving Pulp. In comes dad, "Oh, you're listening to that wanker singing about his wallpaper again"

Ferris

My dad listening to Nick Drake, middle of Bryter Layter: "does it get any better?"

I've banged on about it on here before but he just doesn't enjoy music and I've sort of given up trying to play him stuff.