Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:56:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast 2 (Man Sound) - ITS PIPOU TIME!

Started by dr beat, August 11, 2020, 09:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr beat

And so a glorious new chapter begins in our discussion of quite frankly, the greatest podcast ever.  Possibly the greatest thing ever.

Tell all them folks over in General Bullshit with their Labours and their Glinners there's a new Sheriff in town - Sheriff Bummerdog.  We got a nice quiet little beach community here and he aims to keep it that way...

daf

EEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY UP!!!!!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
link to the old thread

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

No one would have believed, in the early-ish years of the 21st century, that a lengthy podcast preoccupied with David Van Day, Simon Bates, B.A. Robertson, Zoo wankers, murky chart rundown publicity stills and a priapic '70s hound would provide bounteous succour for the pop-crazed youngsters of CaB.

Long may it continue.

Brundle-Fly

non capisco

I'm honestly bloody glad there's a small community here that's as outright obsessed and in love with this podcast as I am. I relistened to the Neil and Sarah Q&A recently and half the questions are from usernames off here. In all sincerity the first post-lockdown episode where they all go nuts for the Meatloaf and Cher video lifted me out of a serious 'fuck this, the world is ending' slump. If I ever met Al I think I'd melt with gratitude, all power to the man for holding this all together.

Fozzie Bear motherfucker welcomes this new dawn in typically wry Manhattanite style.

Quote from: non capisco on August 11, 2020, 10:21:34 PM
I'm honestly bloody glad there's a small community here that's as outright obsessed with this podcast as I am. I relistened to the Neil and Sarah Q&A recently and half the questions are from usernames off here. In all sincerity the first post-lockdown episode where they all go nuts for the Meatloaf and Cher video lifted me out of a serious 'fuck this, the world is ending' slump. If I ever met Al I think I'd melt with gratitude, all power to the man for holding this all together.

Absolutely, couldn't agree more. It's a much-needed source of respite and joy. The arrival of a new CM episode genuinely lifts my spirits.

I'd love to send a tweet to Al expressing how much his podcast means to me, and to all of us, but I'm too shy (shy, hush-hush, eye to eye) and it would just be plain embarrassing. I hope he knows, though.

Neomod

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on August 11, 2020, 10:32:50 PM
I'd love to send a tweet to Al expressing how much his podcast means to me, and to all of us, but I'm too shy (shy, hush-hush, eye to eye) and it would just be plain embarrassing. I hope he knows, though.

I'm guessing as the CAB Chart Music thread is on the first page of results for 'Chart Music Podcast' Al and the panel are probably aware of the affection. 

dr beat

Absolutely, couldn't agree more. It's a much-needed source of respite and joy. The arrival of a new CM episode genuinely lifts my spirits.

I can only echo this.  CMP is an absolute tonic, and has been particularly so over the last few months.

non capisco

Do it. I've blown plenty of smoke up his arse via social media and he's always gracious about it and happy to engage, as is Simon.

Seedsy

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on August 11, 2020, 10:11:51 PM
No one would have believed, in the early-ish years of the 21st century, that a lengthy podcast preoccupied with David Van Day, Simon Bates, B.A. Robertson, Zoo wankers, murky chart rundown publicity stills and a priapic '70s hound would provide bounteous succour for the pop-crazed youngsters of CaB.

Long may it continue.

It's the reason I joined this forum. Started listening to the podcasts, and thought there has to be some like minded individuals
The greatest podcast ever.  I Dont have the most glamorous of jobs, but it's a driving job. Im a pharmaceutical delivery driver, for a well known chemists. Plenty of time to listen, and relisten to CM.

Quote from: Neomod on August 11, 2020, 10:39:31 PM
I'm guessing as the CAB Chart Music thread is on the first page of results for 'Chart Music Podcast' Al and the panel are probably aware of the affection.

Ah, that's good to know. Plus they presumably have a few thousand regular listeners? It's a copper-bottomed success.

Quote from: dr beat on August 11, 2020, 10:41:48 PM
I can only echo this.  CMP is an absolute tonic, and has been particularly so over the last few months.

Relistening to old eps of CM in the insomniac dead of anxious lockdown night has been so comforting. They've kept me going. Laughing out loud, in the dark, at a brilliant Taylor quip about Noel Edmonds or whoever has served as a distraction. I know we all feel the same way.

Quote from: non capisco on August 11, 2020, 10:44:38 PM
Do it. I've blown plenty of smoke up his arse via social media and he's always gracious about it and happy to engage, as is Simon.

I sent him a nice tweet a couple of years ago. Anything more than that and I'll feel like Rupert Pupkin.

Quote from: Seedsy on August 11, 2020, 10:59:20 PM

It's the reason I joined this forum. Started listening to the podcasts, and thought there has to be some like minded individuals
The greatest podcast ever.  I Dont have the most glamorous of jobs, but it's a driving job. Im a pharmaceutical delivery driver, for a well known chemists. Plenty of time to listen, and relisten to CM.

That's lovely. Welcome aboard!

Brundle-Fly

Only another 1,707 TOTP episodes to go. Come on Al, pull your finger out.

non capisco

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 11, 2020, 11:05:31 PM
Only another 1,707 TOTP episodes to go. Come on Al, pull your finger out.

I think I've now seen all the surviving ones from '67-'89 and they can definitely keep it going without the well running dry and the format bumping up against itself for a long while yet without even having to address the obvious elephant in the room.

buzby

Quote from: Neomod on August 11, 2020, 05:17:18 PM
My god, she was as ubiquitous as Afrodiziak back in the day.
She was, usually as a duo act with Linda Taylor, as she was on Sharpe's Famous People album. He husband Richard Niles did the brass and string arrangements on the album too.

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 11, 2020, 05:01:53 PM
Can that Smash Hits 'Bits' story be verified about Gaz Numan happening to be booked in the studio next door to Bill Sharpe
Not quite true, I'm afraid  Sharpe was recording his solo album at Numan's Rock City Studios in Shepperton (where Shakatak had recorded 3 albums). He had written Change Your Mind and had a go at singing it himself, when the house engineer Nick Smith suggested it might suit Gary's voice. Smith gave a tape of the track to Gary's dad, and Gary said he was interested in doing it.

Quote from: Rizla on August 11, 2020, 05:32:52 PM
It was more an "obvious thing I've just realised" than a "fuck my hat I never knew that". I was aware it was Benny and Bjorn and thus all sounded quite ABBAesque, I was 9 and everyone's mum seemed to have the album then. Just never occured that it might actually be a leftover ABBA number. ONIB was surely written from scratch for the show though, I'm guessing.
Again, not quite. It bears some similarity to the full length version of ABBA's Summer Night City, including having an orchestral overture before the main part of the song starts (the full length version was unreleased until it was included on 1994's Thank You For The Music rarities compilation).

As was pointed out in the podcast, only the chorus melody of I know Him So Well was recycled from I Am An A. The rest of the song was new (or previously unused) material.

buzby

Quote from: Neomod on August 11, 2020, 10:39:31 PM
And at least one of them has joined the site, but has not posted (hello, KaptainKulk - he has the same handle on twitter).

Out of interest, are there any Major Artists they haven't covered yet? They covered The Smiths in the latest episode, the first time they've ever talked about them at length, but who's left? U2? Bowie? They've not had an opportunity to talk about Prince in any depth, have they?

Not that yakking about the big guns is the point of this podcast; 15 minutes devoted to the obscure likes of Two Man Sound is what makes the show so special. But it's always so interesting whenever they talk about artists who frequently appear on the cover of Mojo et al.

Neil being a massive fan of the Stones, for instance, or Pricey being an ELO devotee; you just never know which way they're going to go. And I always love that moment of tension whenever Al hands over to Taylor following one of those spirited celebrations. Will he agree, or won't he?

Now THAT'S drama.

Seedsy

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on August 11, 2020, 11:32:53 PM
Out of interest, are there any Major Artist they haven't covered yet? They covered The Smiths in the latest episode, the first time they've ever talked about them at length, but who's left? U2? Bowie? They've not had an opportunity to talk about Prince in any depth, have they?

Not that yakking about the big guns is the point of this podcast; 15 minutes devoted to the obscure likes of Two Man Sound is what makes the show so special. But it's always so interesting whenever they talk about artists who frequently appear on the cover of Mojo et al.

Neil being a massive fan of the Stones, for instance, or Pricey being an ELO devotee; you just never know which way they're going to go. And I always love that moment of tension whenever Al hands over to Taylor following one of those spirited celebrations. Will he agree, or won't he?

Now THAT'S drama.

Taylor im sure ripped "ask" by the smiths to shreds. I actually really like that single. He thought it was throaway pap

beastie boys? I'd love to hear their thoughts on them. But alot of the big hitters have been covered I'm sure

dr beat

Going from memory Bowie featured with Ashes to Ashes in the infamous Roger Daltrey "mind yer backs" episode. Smiths have featured a couple of times, but no U2 as far as I recall.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on August 11, 2020, 11:32:53 PM
Out of interest, are there any Major Artists they haven't covered yet? They covered The Smiths in the latest episode, the first time they've ever talked about them at length, but who's left? U2? Bowie? They've not had an opportunity to talk about Prince in any depth, have they?

Kate Bush been covered yet?  I'd love to hear them cover more sixties episodes. Those idiots who wiped those early tapes of TOTPs can now be doubly ashamed because of what we've been deprived of.

buzby

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 12, 2020, 12:11:57 AM
Kate Bush been covered yet?
Yes, twice I think Wow was featured all the way back in Episode 4, where I think Simon mentioned about being terrified of her as a kid due to her ability to make her eyes very wide. Running Up That Hill was then featured in Episode 7.

Even if more of the Sixties episodes still existed they would most likely feature Jim'll, and they have steadfastly refused to go near any of his episodes yet.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: buzby on August 12, 2020, 12:34:27 AM
Yes, twice I think Wow was featured all the way back in Episode 4, where I think Simon mentioned about being terrified of her as a kid due to her ability to make her eyes very wide. Running Up That Hill was then featured in Episode 7.

It was Neil who was scared of Kate Bush as a child and his older sister (who sounds cool) used to do the face to freak him out.

hummingofevil

This worth a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoxEcD4PCco

I too like most of you didn't get this song but it's made me listen to A King At Night a dozen times tonight. x

This is the best version I found. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQzK1rbgOJo

The Roofdog

Quote from: Seedsy on August 11, 2020, 11:42:40 PM
Taylor im sure ripped "ask" by the smiths to shreds. I actually really like that single. He thought it was throaway pap

A highlight of the last episode was the incredulity in his voice with "They released Shakespeare's Sister as a single. What do you think you're doing? Do you think this is going to be number one? - No!"

(I like Ask too. Shakespeare's Sister is utter dogshit though.)

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: buzby on August 12, 2020, 12:34:27 AM

Even if more of the Sixties episodes still existed they would most likely feature Jim'll, and they have steadfastly refused to go near any of his episodes yet.

Ah yes, that's right. Unless, I've forgotten their inclusion over all the episodes, I'm waiting for the coat downs/ celebrations of XTC, Bad Manners, Squeeze, Busta Rhymes, Lene Lovich, Ian Dury & The Blockheads, Thomas Dolby, The Divine Comedy, Landscape, Sugar Minnot, Telex, Morris & The Minors, Pikketywitch, White Town, Milli Vanilli, The Piranhas, Blue Rondo a la Turk, Tonight, Def Leppard, The Exploited, Kissing The Pink, Mirage, Divine, Colour Me Badd, Flash & The Pan, Crazy Frog, Big Fun, And Why Not? and Gimme Dat Ding by The Pipkins,