Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 08:51:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast 2 (Man Sound) - ITS PIPOU TIME!

Started by dr beat, August 11, 2020, 09:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
So many reasons to be thankful for this absolute diamond of a podcast - today, it's that Al's voice never fails to make me think of MC Pitman

Crabwalk

Quote from: phantom_power on September 10, 2020, 08:10:08 AM
Has anyone heard the Back to NOW podcast? It is similar to CM but with the NOW albums

I've started listening to it this week and am really enjoying them. Not as funny, in-depth or broad in scope as CM, but a knowledgable host and insightful guest who on the whole seem really passionate about chart music (lower case) and compilation albums. I just wish the episodes were longer as not many tracks get more than a minute or two's analysis. It really suffers next to CM on that front, where we're spoiled.

dr beat

Been thinking about acts who still haven't yet featured on CMP now that Wham! and Dexys have been done.  Has Tom Jones been on yet? I can't recall he has, which is surprising given the longevity of his career and that he always seemed like one of those go-to singers along the lines of Cliff, Lulu, Cilla etc.

DrGreggles

dr beat

Yes, good one - can't recall them featuring yet. 

Also - Hot Chocolate, who seem a peak CMP-era act.

DrGreggles

dr beat

You could well be right, I've been doing a re-listen of the early ones but haven't got round to that one yet. 

HAVANAGILA

*consults CM Wiki* Hot Chocolate have appeared twice, performing So You Win Again on both occasions, in Episodes 1 and 47 (July 77 and Xmas 77 respectively).

bigfatheart

Quote from: dr beat on July 26, 2021, 02:29:36 PM
Has Tom Jones been on yet? I can't recall he has, which is surprising given the longevity of his career and that he always seemed like one of those go-to singers along the lines of Cliff, Lulu, Cilla etc.

He hasn't, but looking at his Top of the Pops appearances he made a remarkable 0 (ZERO) appearances between 1973 and 1987, so he's completely absent from a lot of CM's go-to eras. Obviously there's a few from later years, but they're never too keen to go there, and most of his earlier performances would be wiped or Savile'd.

Quote from: dr beat on July 26, 2021, 02:29:36 PM
Been thinking about acts who still haven't yet featured on CMP now that Wham! and Dexys have been done.  Has Tom Jones been on yet? I can't recall he has, which is surprising given the longevity of his career and that he always seemed like one of those go-to singers along the lines of Cliff, Lulu, Cilla etc.

Off the top of my head: The Cure, U2, Roxy Music, Elvis and T-Rex all stand out as big acts yet to be featured. It's probably impossible to do T-Rex or early Roxy Music without resorting to a Christmas/Saville episode though.

Brundle-Fly

They haven't done a few of my New Wave era faves yet.  Pulp, Beck, Trip hop bands will be interesting discussion if they ever get round to visiting the nineties again anytime soon. The later eps always shifts the tone though because they have more invested and baggage to factor in. Interesting though.

matjam13

Quote from: Bellalunaesme2 on July 26, 2021, 03:24:36 PMIt's probably impossible to do T-Rex or early Roxy Music without resorting to a Christmas/Saville episode though.
Appearances of T-Rex on TOTP:
12/11/70 : Ride A White Swan (Wiped)
26/11/70 : Ride A White Swan (Wiped)
11/03/71 : Hot Love (Show wiped, Performance survives)
25/03/71 : Hot Love (Wiped)
08/07/71 : Get It On (rpt 22/07/71 & 29/07/71) (Shows wiped, Performance survives)
05/08/71 : Get It On (Wiped)
25/12/71 :  Hot Love (Wiped)
27/12/71 : Get It On
20/01/72 : Telegram Sam (rpt 27/01/72 & 03/02/72) (Shows wiped, Performance survives)
11/05/72 : Metal Guru (rpt 18/05/72) (Shows Wiped, Performance survives)
25/05/72 : Metal Guru (Wiped)
14/09/72 : Children Of The Revolution (rpt 28/09/72) (Shows wiped, Performance survives)
07/12/72 : Solid Gold Easy Action (rpt 14/12/72 & 04/01/73) (Shows wiped, Performance survives)
25/12/72 : Telegram Sam (Wiped)
28/12/72 : Metal Guru
01/03/73 : 20th Century Boy (rpt 08/03/73) (Shows wiped, Performance survives)
01/06/73 : The Groover (rpt 15/06/73) (Wiped)
07/02/74 : Teenage Dream (Show wiped, Performance survives)
03/07/75 : New York City (rpt 31/07/75) (Shows wiped, Performance survives)
17/07/75 : New York City (Show wiped, Performance survives)
23/10/75 : Dreamy Lady (Wiped)
11/03/76 : London Boys (Wiped)
17/06/76 : I Love To Boogie
01/07/76 : I Love To Boogie (Wiped)
07/10/76 : Laser Love
24/03/77 : The Soul Of My Suit

Quote from: matjam13 on July 26, 2021, 04:07:01 PM
Appearances of T-Rex on TOTP:
12/11/70 : Ride A White Swan (Wiped)
26/11/70 : Ride A White Swan (Wiped)
11/03/71 : Hot Love (Show wiped, Performance survives)
25/03/71 : Hot Love (Wiped)
08/07/71 : Get It On (rpt 22/07/71 & 29/07/71) (Shows wiped, Performance survives)
05/08/71 : Get It On (Wiped)
25/12/71 :  Hot Love (Wiped)
27/12/71 : Get It On
20/01/72 : Telegram Sam (rpt 27/01/72 & 03/02/72) (Shows wiped, Performance survives)
11/05/72 : Metal Guru (rpt 18/05/72) (Shows Wiped, Performance survives)
25/05/72 : Metal Guru (Wiped)
14/09/72 : Children Of The Revolution (rpt 28/09/72) (Shows wiped, Performance survives)
07/12/72 : Solid Gold Easy Action (rpt 14/12/72 & 04/01/73) (Shows wiped, Performance survives)
25/12/72 : Telegram Sam (Wiped)
28/12/72 : Metal Guru
01/03/73 : 20th Century Boy (rpt 08/03/73) (Shows wiped, Performance survives)
01/06/73 : The Groover (rpt 15/06/73) (Wiped)
07/02/74 : Teenage Dream (Show wiped, Performance survives)
03/07/75 : New York City (rpt 31/07/75) (Shows wiped, Performance survives)
17/07/75 : New York City (Show wiped, Performance survives)
23/10/75 : Dreamy Lady (Wiped)
11/03/76 : London Boys (Wiped)
17/06/76 : I Love To Boogie
01/07/76 : I Love To Boogie (Wiped)
07/10/76 : Laser Love
24/03/77 : The Soul Of My Suit
Thanks. From those the I Love to Boogie/Soul of My Suit performances are both non Saville and Metal Guru/Get It On performances are both on non Saville Christmas episodes. The Christmas episodes are both non Christmas Day ones, so may be unlikely to be discussed. It's still possible though.

Johnboy

Great CM episode - very apt to be listening to a discussion of 1983 during a heatwave.

buzby

New Order haven't been on yet either, which I'm quite glad about as Al as already stated numerous time he absolutely hates them.

boki

Today's edition of the Riot Act podcast may be of interest to some of you PCYs - it's a crossover with Pop, Collaborate and Listen on their favourite one-hit wonders of the 90s[nb]Quite a few of which aren't technically one-hit wonders, but hey[/nb] (and got very close to being especially relevant when one of the lads called one effort a "shit song for arseholes").  I'm only halfway through it so far, and this is the first I've heard of the latter 'cast, but I'll definitely be checking out some more of their stuff.

Get it here: https://www.podchaser.com/podcasts/riot-act-708163/episodes/s35-riot-act-vs-pop-collaborat-95386911

non capisco

I'll give 'em a go, quite enjoying Riot Act's 'Broken Records' offshoot at the moment, particularly that episode where one of them completely loses their shit and laughs for ages because there's a bonus track on a Richard Ashcroft album called 'Captain Rock'.

Nothing quite scratches that inbetween Chart Music episode itch though, does it? I do really enjoy Back To Now, though. And Giddy Carousel Of Pop is very likable, I'm hoping they'll have Al on as a guest for one episode.

Crabwalk

Quote from: boki on July 27, 2021, 04:43:50 PM
Today's edition of the Riot Act podcast may be of interest to some of you PCYs - it's a crossover with Pop, Collaborate and Listen on their favourite one-hit wonders of the 90s[nb]Quite a few of which aren't technically one-hit wonders, but hey[/nb] (and got very close to being especially relevant when one of the lads called one effort a "shit song for arseholes").  I'm only halfway through it so far, and this is the first I've heard of the latter 'cast, but I'll definitely be checking out some more of their stuff.

Get it here: https://www.podchaser.com/podcasts/riot-act-708163/episodes/s35-riot-act-vs-pop-collaborat-95386911

I'm halfway through this podcast and I've told it to fuck off about 20 times so far. The guy going on about his Twitter beef with Cornershop received most of them. Also all the lol paedo jokes. Is this episode broadly representative, or would I be better off starting elsewhere? I'm guessing they're more knowledgable about rock than pop.

Neomod

Listening to Al's talk of the Radio 1 DJ's I couldn't help but think that someone missed a trick back in the day (70's/80's) by not writing a Trevor Griffiths style Play For Today two-hander about two 'national' dj's meeting in a motorway service station somewhere in the midlands. The young upstart on his way up and the old guard on his way down, both metaphorically and literally.

Gary Holton for the youth?

SteveDave

Quote from: non capisco on July 27, 2021, 11:13:08 PM
I'll give 'em a go, quite enjoying Riot Act's 'Broken Records' offshoot at the moment, particularly that episode where one of them completely loses their shit and laughs for ages because there's a bonus track on a Richard Ashcroft album called 'Captain Rock'.

I'm listening to this episode on your advice. The intro's already got my goat. How is "Lucy In Sky With Diamonds" by William Shatner a bad record?

non capisco

It's a guarded recommendation at best, really. Definitely don't expect anything close to the analysis and wit of the CM gang. And one of them pronounces David Bowie wrong which is probably enough of a warning for some not to bother. I'm just filling my hours with podcasts at the moment, tbh. My fortnightly work from home shift is a colossal doss.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: SteveDave on July 28, 2021, 10:45:32 AM
I'm listening to this episode on your advice. The intro's already got my goat. How is "Lucy In Sky With Diamonds" by William Shatner a bad record?

Same reason Millie Jackson's Back to the S**t! always comes up as a bad album artwork, when it's perfect for a comedy R&B album.

Stupidity, laziness and nothing else.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: boki on July 27, 2021, 04:43:50 PM

They're disrespecting 2 Unlimited, I don't know if I can cope with this...

boki

Quote from: non capisco on July 28, 2021, 10:52:08 AM
It's a guarded recommendation at best, really. Definitely don't expect anything close to the analysis and wit of the CM gang.

Absolutely.  I've only recommended this one as it's a one-off crossover.  Still haven't got to an episode of SCL yet, but the concept of it sounds closer to Chart Music's brief.

QuoteI'm listening to this episode on your advice. The intro's already got my goat. How is "Lucy In Sky With Diamonds" by William Shatner a bad record?
Oh, that album's a long way down the list of the worst they've encountered so far, dont recall them hating it at all.  I think the pool of records was drawn partially from those awful clickbait articles that abound and partially from listener suggestions - when you get something like The Transformed Man, or even the Fischerspooner album they've just done, it lightens the load of having to constantly listen to genuinely terrible records week after week, and offers some crumb of redemption for the maligned.

Stubbs and Parkes are both in the latest When Saturday Comes (I imagine the pay is very low, however)

Price on the 'Life Goals' podcast: https://play.acast.com/s/lifegoals/b52f4089-170f-4566-b559-3bd2711eedd5

Other episodes include (scroll down on the above link): Simon Day, Jim White, Philippe Auclair, Jah Wobble, Mark Steel, Danny Kelly, Stuart Cosgrove, Derek Rae, Ian Darke, Bob Mills, Alex Lowe (Barry From Watford), Nick Hancock, Paul Hawksbee, Kevin Day

DrGreggles

Any CM fans missing Here Comes Quizm may be interested to learn that my own Saturday night pop quiz* returns tonight at 7:30pm.

Better quiz, worse host.

Come and join the 'fun'!**

*endorsed by a book with a foreword written by Paul Gambaccini

**fun not guaranteed

dr beat

Even non-football fans may well find much to enjoy from Taylor's review of ITV's Euros coverage in When Saturday Comes.  Many thanks to holyzombiejesus

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,87513.570.html

DenzilHolles

I'd love to see them cover Pet Shops Boys - Al and Neil aren't huge fans but would love to hear , say, Simon or Sarah's take on them.

DenzilHolles

Quote from: buzby on July 27, 2021, 11:41:08 AM
New Order haven't been on yet either, which I'm quite glad about as Al as already stated numerous time he absolutely hates them.

I might very well be wrong here, but I don't think he out and out hates them, it's just a reaction as to how loved they were by pretty much all the music press at the time, so there might be an element of contrariansism about it ( despite Al being probably the least contrarian out of all the gang). I think he mentioned a similar issue with Radiohead.