Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:32:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast 2 (Man Sound) - ITS PIPOU TIME!

Started by dr beat, August 11, 2020, 09:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr beat

I found the stuff about BANG! very interesting.  I bought the first couple of issues and was glad to see the MM lot back in a Select magazine format, being a reader of both those publications back in the day.  Even allowing for mags coming and going quickly, I was surprised when it disappeared fairly suddenly, as it seemed to have tapped in to a reasonable market.  This episode makes it clear why though.

Looking back 2003 was a fairly decent time, I bought a lot of albums and went to gigs very often then.  It seemed to go downhill quickly soon after though when the likes of Keane, Athlete, Snow Patrol took over.

DrGreggles

I like Crazy In Love, but it's ALL about that Chi-Lites sample.

And Work It Out is better anyway.

famethrowa

Quote from: Jockice on September 05, 2021, 02:13:12 PM
As a former one of them I'd just like to say it's okay. Didn't buy it but don't mind hearing it.

You can see how I ended up with my reputation as the scourge of the music industry now, can't you?

You'll never "make a name for yourself" with that kind of level-headed approach!

Crabwalk

For me '1 Thing' by Amerie is even better than 'Crazy in Love'. It's more creative with its core sample (from The Meters in this case), is funky as hell, has a delirious energy and a more distinctive vocal performance. Plus Jay-Z doesn't roll up and fart on it.

buzby

Quote from: Crabwalk on September 06, 2021, 09:38:19 AM
For me '1 Thing' by Amerie is even better than 'Crazy in Love'. It's more creative with its core sample (from The Meters in this case), is funky as hell, has a delirious energy and a more distinctive vocal performance. Plus Jay-Z doesn't roll up and fart on it.
Agreed.

Does Sarah really think that Tarantino invented the 'Chicks Who Love Guns' thing in Jackie Brown? It was an actual VHS-era video that was featured on Clive James show (and many more) long before QT homaged it in Jackie Brown. Negativland sampled the audio from the original video on Now and The Cramps even wrote a song about it. The Benny Benassi 'Satisfaction' video was very much a parody of it.

DrGreggles

Missing Here Comes Quizm?
Then you may wish to be aware that the September edition of "the nation's favourite pop quiz" is this Saturday night.

There's no prize, but at least the music is mostly terrible.

Details

Dusty Substance

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 05, 2021, 02:32:06 PM
I like Crazy In Love, but it's ALL about that Chi-Lites sample.

Surprised they didn't namecheck the Chi-Lites at all during the discussion of CIL.

Quote from: Crabwalk on September 06, 2021, 09:38:19 AM

Fucking hell- Listening now for the first time and it's a funk monster! How have I never heard this until today?!

gilbertharding

Quote from: Dusty Substance on September 23, 2021, 01:33:20 PM
Surprised they didn't namecheck the Chi-Lites at all during the discussion of CIL.

Quite sure they mentioned the Chi-lites - perhaps only in passing.

I mean, it's a big part of Beyonce's record, but not such a huge part of the other one.

SullySullivan85

Just made this, why not.  Makes, for me, the only podcast worth listening to much easier to navigate.

If you like 1982, you'll love this - _five_ episodes, including two in consecutive weeks!

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5dkHOqhlL35JullG5eRu5o?si=fd6580eaf5da4326

DrGreggles

boki

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 26, 2021, 10:50:09 AM
Happy 5th birthday, Chart Music!
Al's celebrating with an epic Twitter thread of fifty things he's learned along the way.

Cottonon

With each new episode my fantasy of a live episode (where we all watch the TOTP then they do the podcast) is reignited. Dear christ I hope it happens.

blisterman

I enjoyed this episode a lot. Mostly because I remember most of the music from the time, so it's a different feeling.

Al's ignorance/dislike of any music after the early 90s makes me think we might not have many episodes like it. I'm genuinely shocked he doesn't know any other Beyonce song. At least the others seem to have kept somewhat abreast of music since.

DrGreggles

gilbertharding

There's the one about putting a ring on it. So that's two I know. Not out of principle, or because I think she's only done two decent tunes.

DrGreggles

Quote from: gilbertharding on September 29, 2021, 02:56:52 PM
There's the one about putting a ring on it. So that's two I know. Not out of principle, or because I think she's only done two decent tunes.

Work It Out (the Austin Powers one) too.

boki

The only other Beyoncé song I can recall is 'If I Was A Boy', which is okay, but just makes me think of Prince's far superior 'If I Was Your Girlfriend', but maybe that's just me being a typical bloke (or maybe I just enjoy funk more than power ballads).

Dusty Substance

Quote from: gilbertharding on September 24, 2021, 04:16:10 PM
Quite sure they mentioned the Chi-lites - perhaps only in passing.

I mean, it's a big part of Beyonce's record, but not such a huge part of the other one.

You're right. I listened back and Al mentions The Chi-Lites just before handing over to Simon and Sarah.

New ep just arrived on Patreon.
David and Taylor.
Just over 6 hours long.
YUSS.

Looks like a cracker given the year. I think it's the third time they've done this year and the previous two were among the best. 

bigfatheart

Just watched the TOTP episode in preparation and this may well break the record for Al saying "we've covered [artist] ALL THE FUCKING TIME", but yeah, there's some lovely stuff for them to sink their teeth into, should be a cracker!

non capisco

Quote from: bigfatheart on October 29, 2021, 06:58:55 PM
Just watched the TOTP episode in preparation and this may well break the record for Al saying "we've covered [artist] ALL THE FUCKING TIME", but yeah, there's some lovely stuff for them to sink their teeth into, should be a cracker!

Just started watching the TOTP episode and it will break my heart if they coat down
Spoiler alert
'Calling Occupants...'
[close]
. I've become a bit obsessed with that song over the last few months since Todd In The Shadows did a video on its parent album.

Christ, there's a Peter Powell reaction after the first song so off-the-scale naff they could probably get six hours out of that alone.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Oh my.
Spoiler alert
Taylor's dissection of Dave 'Showaddywaddy' Bartram's showgammony memoir. "Protagonists of the decks."
[close]

Cottonon

Quote from: bigfatheart on October 29, 2021, 06:58:55 PM
Where are you all  watching the episode?

Crabwalk

WTF, this episode of TOTP aired on the day I was born! What a lucky bastard I am to have a Chart Music episode about it!