Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:16:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast 2 (Man Sound) - ITS PIPOU TIME!

Started by dr beat, August 11, 2020, 09:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on August 26, 2020, 11:08:38 PM
I was so surprised by that I just Googled Taylor and Laverne and one of the first results is this very website because it turns out he used to post here. He even threatened to dish the dirt on Moran at one point. Here's all his posts:

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=11311

Blimey. It would be nice if Taylor had stuck around, his hauntology posts were quality CaB contributions, but, err, yeah. Parroting nasty gossip wasn't the best way to draw him out of the lurking shed.

Rizla

Yes, it was interesting (re)reading that hauntology thread - I've been thinking about the subject a fair bit recently, my generation's formative cultural experiences being repackaged in recent years as hacky comedy fodder. That thing of "haha what was going on in the 70s? lol why did people need films to tell them not to put rugs on polished floors and swim in disused quarries lmfao" I think it's a good way to introduce some people to the concept of what neoliberalism and the end of the postwar concensus means in practice in the UK, ie there was probably an uptick in head injuries due to it being fashionable to have polished tile floors in your hall, an increase in traffic accidents due to the introduction of box junctions, etc, so the government swung into action with a PIF to help keep everyone safe, because that was their job. Cut to the 80s and all you got was "plz don't get AIDS cos we can't afford to lose half our workforce". Cut to now and it's just facebook ads saying BACK TO WORK BUY PRET SARNIES U SCUM and WE ARE SENDING THEM ALL BACK DON'T WORRY! Good times.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Rizla on August 29, 2020, 07:11:56 PM
Yes, it was interesting (re)reading that hauntology thread - I've been thinking about the subject a fair bit recently, my generation's formative cultural experiences being repackaged in recent years as hacky comedy fodder. That thing of "haha what was going on in the 70s? lol why did people need films to tell them not to put rugs on polished floors and swim in disused quarries lmfao" I think it's a good way to introduce some people to the concept of what neoliberalism and the end of the postwar concensus means in practice in the UK, ie there was probably an uptick in head injuries due to it being fashionable to have polished tile floors in your hall, an increase in traffic accidents due to the introduction of box junctions, etc, so the government swung into action with a PIF to help keep everyone safe, because that was their job. Cut to the 80s and all you got was "plz don't get AIDS cos we can't afford to lose half our workforce". Cut to now and it's just facebook ads saying BACK TO WORK BUY PRET SARNIES U SCUM and WE ARE SENDING THEM ALL BACK DON'T WORRY! Good times.

Thirty years ago, my father used to get pissed off with The Staggering Stories of Ferdinand de Bargos because he found it patronising to his past. I wonder if he still feels the same about Rhys Thomas and Harry Hill's similar old footage piss-taking clip show fayre?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on August 29, 2020, 04:00:12 PM
Blimey. It would be nice if Taylor had stuck around, his hauntology posts were quality CaB contributions, but, err, yeah. Parroting nasty gossip wasn't the best way to draw him out of the lurking shed.

Pricey also used to post here but jumped ship because of the usual boring antagonism.

Rizla

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 30, 2020, 01:56:34 AM
Thirty years ago, my father used to get pissed off with The Staggering Stories of Ferdinand de Bargos because he found it patronising to his past. I wonder if he still feels the same about Rhys Thomas and Harry Hill's similar old footage piss-taking clip show fayre?
I'd forgotten that show ever existed. I think at the time I found it occasionally funny but watching a bit there, it's humour on a par with those "1950s housewife swearing and drinking gin" greeting cards they have now. Old footage has a power to it, and to use it to make shit half arsed jokes seems a bit sad and wrong, when it can be respectfully used to devastating effect like this.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on August 29, 2020, 04:00:12 PM

Indeed. I actually quoted his post about how our generation were sold one life and got another to many people in conversations. the thing was though that it was just some anonymous CAB poster to me, I wasn't aware of him until I started to listen to the CMPs (I was an NME boy).

Quote from: RickyHamster on August 25, 2020, 01:48:55 PM
Like finding out daddy wasn't away working on the rigs after all.

It's almost like a "before and after" frame. Laverne is the most appealing in those pictures and, although looks can be deceiving, probably has the sounder character and politics, AFAIK. I think Taylor is sufficiently self-aware to know what he lost and shoulder some of the blame, just as any single bloke in his late 40s must be honest with himself if he wants to move on.

Camp Tramp

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on August 31, 2020, 12:17:18 AM
It's almost like a "before and after" frame. Laverne is the most appealing in those pictures and, although looks can be deceiving, probably has the sounder character and politics, AFAIK. I think Taylor is sufficiently self-aware to know what he lost and shoulder some of the blame, just as any single bloke in his late 40s must be honest with himself if he wants to move on.

... and it was almost 25 years ago. I think Taylor only mentioned it because the topic was brought up.

Laverne has Moran as a guest on her show this morning. Wonder if Taylor's ears will be burning when they chat off mic?

famethrowa

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on September 09, 2020, 12:43:20 PM
She ain't no human bean.

\
           well, that is true, I suppose

phantom_power

Has anyone heard the Back to NOW podcast? It is similar to CM but with the NOW albums

justin_bennett

Update from Al:

AAAAAAAAYUUUUP, etc,

You may have noticed that the next episode is long overdue, and that's my fault, alas. A combination of someone in the family being badly (not Coronavirus), being stuck in a house without a computer for a few weeks, and then being badly myself (not Coronavirus) has pissed all over the schedule, and the ship is being righted. So;

* We're aiming to record at some point next week and get it out ASAP (it's from a year we haven't done yet)

* Then we're aiming to pile straight into the next one as soon as we can

* If we can't, I'll get me arse in gear on the long-overdue Q&A, or do a Here Comes Quizm.

Massively soz for keeping you waiting, as I hate to let down the Pop-Crazed Youngsters down, especially as they've had our back throughout this unwiped arse of a year. Sit tight, normal service will be resumed...

Al

edon

I do hope Al and co are staying as well as they can, absolutely understandable if they have a break.

Years they haven't done yet, off the top of my head (at least those with viable episodes):

and 2001-06. 1988 is one they should get round to covering soon, but seeing as they just did a show from the other half of the 80s I'm not sure it'll be that. Early or late 90s, perhaps?

Egyptian Feast

I'm still catching up with older episodes, but I've been really looking forward to catching a new one as it drops for the first time. It was weird going back to the earlier ones after hearing their post-COVID episodes (#52 being my favourite episode so far). The preambles fly past in a matter of minutes and their mics really are shit.

I've recently experienced the joys of Two Man Sound for the first time, heard Simon's 'Careless Whisper' story and have just done my homework for 'Soul Rail Replacement Service', so I still have plenty to catch up with. It's been provoking some fascinating before-my-time memories from my other half, who is Al & Simon's age and experienced some stuff similarly and some very differently. It really is an education.

shiftwork2

Please let it be '72.  Although didn't we collectively (by that I probably mean daf) work out that there were virtually no jingle-jangle-free episodes surviving?

dr beat

Yes there was mention of 1972 a while back. If memory serves there are only 3 surviving episodes - one helmed by jingle-jangle, another featuring Jonathan King, and the other presented by Ed Stewart.

daf

Pretty much, though it's Gary Glitter that features in the two non-Savile editions. #bargepole

Little did the oiks tasked with wiping all the tapes back then realise that they would be creating a huge moral dilemma for a Dave Lee Travis hating podcast many decades later.

edon

Don't think it'll be 1972 either, unfortunately. Having taken a closer look at the state of the archival status of that year, unless they take the plunge and go for a Savile ep, the only viable edition from that year is the 28/12 Christmas special with Gary Glitter on it, which they presumably would only cover in December. Hopefully they will do that one at some point though.

And Ed Stewart's existing show would've also had a GG performance, but the bigger issue at hand with that one is the fact that his performance + the charts/crowd dancing sequence backed by The Sweet's 'Little Willy' seem to be missing from the BBC's copy- it starts midway through an Elvis video instead. God knows what problems the wipers had with that year in particular, both 71 and 73 have more episodes still in existence.

I'm thinking Al might've had a 1990 episode lined up for the second half of the year, as it would've made for some nice synchronization with the BBC4 repeats, but scheduling issues have of course thrown that up in the air (on both ends, by the looks of things).

non capisco

Just do one of the two Joy Sarney episodes, Al, you know you want to.

shiftwork2

The Christmas '72 episode is out I would say as they've traditionally been retained for Christmas podcasts.  I am hoping this lands this year as it appears to be chart music gold.  Glitter was expunged from the Xmas '73 episode so no problems removing artists (or Steve Priest's blurred out swastika); a bit more problematic if it's the host.

Jockice

Quote from: non capisco on September 13, 2020, 11:26:14 PM
Just do one of the two Joy Sarney episodes, Al, you know you want to.

Obligatory mention of meeting Joy Sarney's son.

edon

Joy Sarney is unavoidable, I really do hope they get round to that song before packing in. That, and the Shakin' Stevens Hi-NRG Gary Glitter cover.

Oz Oz Alice

Yes! Shakey, looking as coked up as Pacino at the end of Scarface, doing his infamous Stevens jump before cavorting with go go dancers needs to be described by Al and Taylor. Heterosexual rock'n'roll indeed.

edon

There's so much going on there, it's as if it was made for them. Shaky's own hot dance moves, the "basted torsos" of his backing group (to borrow Sarah Bee's words), the fact he's singing a song written by Gary Glitter with lyrics such as "I'm turning out the light and locking up that door / You might put up a fight". Doubtless one of the few astonishing things to actually get into the charts in 1987.

Egyptian Feast

They've started listing Patreon supporters on the ones I'm up to now and I can't help but wonder how many are CaBbers. When Al listed Golden E Pump and Bobby Treetops in #23 and #24 respectively, I admit I did a little cheer like a twat.

Bobby Treetops

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on September 17, 2020, 02:20:33 PM
They've started listing Patreon supporters on the ones I'm up to now and I can't help but wonder how many are CaBbers. When Al listed Golden E Pump and Bobby Treetops in #23 and #24 respectively, I admit I did a little cheer like a twat.

It did make my day when I got a mention from Al and I excitedly told Ms Treetops of my new found fame, but she was unimpressed. I've tried to get her into the podcast, but she says she can't be arsed to listen to middle aged men swearing and moaning for four hours  (and she gets enough of that at home...boom, boom). Still she's always up for watching a random episode of Top Of The Pops (thanks to Daf for the link) so she's a keeper.