Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 05:22:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast 2 (Man Sound) - ITS PIPOU TIME!

Started by dr beat, August 11, 2020, 09:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justin_bennett

Wonder what Twitter-hashtag-game-loving dick Quantick said to our Simon Price that he's publicly apologising for: https://twitter.com/quantick/status/1312071611093266434?s=21

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Are Simon seems like a lovely bloke, so God only knows.

dr beat

Quote from: justin_bennett on October 02, 2020, 08:10:45 PM
Wonder what Twitter-hashtag-game-loving dick Quantick said to our Simon Price that he's publicly apologising for: https://twitter.com/quantick/status/1312071611093266434?s=21

I thought they were good mates? Simon said he DJed at Quantick's wedding and enjoyed the NME-MM ribbing by the latter.

dr beat

edon

By previous process of elimination we know it's probably a post-1989 edition, so god knows how they've managed to weed nearly 6 hours of discussion out of it. Unless, perhaps, there's a particularly big act in the lineup - maybe they've got Pricey on a Manics performance, or possibly Prince, as he did one or two studio appearances for TOTP in the 90s.

Only other explanation is if they've took the plunge and decided to tackle Savile, of course.

DrGreggles

The debate could easily have veered on to something off-topic.
They did once talk about flares for 20 minutes.

non capisco

Quote from: edon on October 03, 2020, 04:15:07 PM
Only other explanation is if they've took the plunge and decided to tackle Savile Joy Sarney, of course.

JohnnyYen

Facebook detective work - Al just liked a comment I made several months ago concerning Britpop, specifically The Lightning Seeds; could be a clue as to the episode?

edon

These are the options for a TOTP both featuring Lightning Seeds and from a year they haven't covered yet, thanks to the TOTP Popscene forum's episode guide:

Spoiler alert
17-1-97:   Presenter:  Rhona Cameron

(12) THE LIGHTNING SEEDS – Sugar Coated Iceberg
(3) EAST 17 – Hey Child
(4) LISA STANSFIELD versus DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS – People Hold On (video)  (and charts)
(10) NO MERCY – Where Do You Go
(7) TEXAS – Say What You Want
(5) MADONNA – Don't Cry For Me Argentina  (video)
(2) BACKSTREET BOYS – Quit Playing Games (With My Heart)
(NEW) PLACEBO – Nancy Boy
(1) TORI AMOS – Professional Widow (It's Got To Be Big)  (video)
(TOTP2) ALVIN STARDUST – My Coo-Ca-Choo  (clip of TOTP 15-11-73)  (and credits)
[close]

Spoiler alert
25-4-97:   Presenter:  Dannii Minogue

(2) ROBBIE WILLIAMS – Old Before I Die
(32) DAVID BOWIE – Dead Man Walking
(7) SHOLA AMA – You Might Need Somebody
(17) TEXAS – Halo  (and charts)
(6) BLACKSTREET – Don't Leave Me
(8) THE LIGHTNING SEEDS – You Showed Me
(14) MICHELLE GAYLE – Sensational
(1) R. KELLY – I Believe I Can Fly  (video)  (and credits)
[close]

Spoiler alert
19-6-98:   Presenter:  Jayne Middlemiss

(3) FIVE – Got The Feeling
(22) PULP – A Little Soul
(8) DES'REE – Life
(20) SILVER SUN – Too Much, Too Little, Too Late
(21) IAN BROWN – Can't See Me
(5) DARIO G – Carnaval De Paris
(2) FAT LES – Vindaloo
(1) BADDIEL, SKINNER & THE LIGHTNING SEEDS – Three Lions '98  (and credits)
[close]

Spoiler alert
25-6-98:   Presenter:  Jamie Theakston

(2) FAT LES – Vindaloo
(24) TINA ARENA – Whistle Down The Wind
(23) IMAJIN – Shorty
(11) DANA INTERNATIONAL – Diva
(9) KAREN RAMIREZ – Looking For Love
(6) LIGHTHOUSE FAMILY – Lost In Space
(4) B*WITCHED – C'est La Vie
(26) LIONEL RICHIE – Closest Thing To Heaven
(1) BADDIEL, SKINNER & THE LIGHTNING SEEDS – Three Lions '98  (and credits)
[close]

Spoiler alert
3-7-98:   Presenter:  Kate Thornton

(6) EAGLE-EYE CHERRY – Save Tonight
(23) HANSON – Thinking Of You
(21) SPACE – Begin Again
(10) 911 – How Do You Want Me To Love You?
(16) ULTRA – Say It Once
(18) AARON CARTER – Surfin' U.S.A.
(5) BEASTIE BOYS – Intergalactic  (video)
(1) BADDIEL, SKINNER & THE LIGHTNING SEEDS – Three Lions '98 (and credits)
[close]

Out of that dodgy lot, I hope it's the one with
Spoiler alert
Pulp
[close]
and
Spoiler alert
Ian Brown
[close]
- I assume there'll be some good appreciation from the MM contributors of the former, and a severe ravaging of the latter after recent tweets will be so sweet. Especially if it's by Neil.

Egyptian Feast

If he's only just liked JohnnyYen's post, perhaps he's researching a future episode since #53 is already being edited.

I'm still only up to #31, but it's been a hell of a journey so far. It's had me in tears of laughter on frequent occasions (most recently throughout Al's version of 'Darling Nikki' at the end of #30), which nothing else has managed to do in recent months. It's still getting me into loads of great stuff too. After a late summer binging on Sweet, I'm now addicted to Giorgio Mordoer's utterly wonderful From Here To Eternity album (which has additionally got me back into the similarly wonderful No. 1 In Heaven) and 'C.F. Kane' by Delicatessen (their debut Skin Touching Water is an overlooked gem, well worth a couple of quid on eBay).

I still enjoy hearing Al reading out the Patreons and recognising the odd name; Ballad of Ballard Berkeley popped up in a recent episode and I said "Hello" out loud like a twat.

Seedsy

Please let it be the beastie boys episode. I had outgrown totp by summer 98, but I remember this episode. Aaron Carter er al

boki

I doubt it will be that one if it's nearly six hours long, as there's only two or three songs on there they could really get their teeth into.  It's mostly lesser hits by lesser acts.

Crabwalk

I could see the 19/6/98 one running to 6 hours. Plenty to get into there.

Was 8 tracks per episode the standard throughout the 90s? In the 1985 one they could get through far more with all the Jonathan King ones, etc.

boki

Quote from: Crabwalk on October 06, 2020, 09:49:13 AM
I could see the 19/6/98 one running to 6 hours. Plenty to get into there.

Yeah, that's got a bit of everything, including toast.

I would think that half of any 1997-98 episode is going to be talking about the general culture rather than the acts. The real action, such as Roni Size's great album, is well away from the charts by this time. How was New Labour's honeymoon period reflected in culture? It would make sense for Neil and Sarah to be the guests.

I'm holding on to hope that it is 1972 but I think if they were ever going to do Savile, they'd have already got it out of the way by now. They've managed four years dodging him.

jamiefairlie

They should tackle Savile and get it out of the way. We're adults and can handle the separation of the show from the person presenting it.

daf

It'd be easy to pretend to have always hated him, but to be honest, he was my favourite presenter during the 1976 & 1977 BBC4 shows (before it all came out) - always good value for money with his daft costumes and barmy "Percy" links.

And you can probably guess who my second favourite presenter was!

Ah, well . . .

edon

If he is ever going to be covered, it'll probably either be the Christmas 1967 edition (the oldest TOTP show in full existence), or the 1984 special where he's out of the studio and on a Intercity train, which I think Taylor said was his favourite episode of all time at one point.

You can make a case for both, but the latter one is worth it for the amount of utterly incredible stuff that goes on - Pigwanker General's hapless attempt at interviewing a signalman, Bucks Fizz having their performance interrupted by the train arriving at Bristol, Morrissey ripping open his shirt for the nation, only for Mike Smith to then take the piss out of it and have Richard Skinner kiss his nipple while doing so. Chart Music Gold right there.

Crabwalk

The Roofdog

Oooo, is this the first episode to
Spoiler alert
pair
[close]
Spoiler alert
  Sarah
[close]
and
Spoiler alert
   Simon 
[close]
?

edon

They've definitely done a couple of 90s episodes together previously, however I think this might be their first not from that decade.

Not listened yet but it's
Spoiler alert
May 1988
[close]

edon

Jesus this particular TOTP episode is ghastly. I can see why they've managed to get such a long podcast out of it as
Spoiler alert
Loadsamoney
[close]
is discussed,
Spoiler alert
Pricey
[close]
finally gets a good
Spoiler alert
Prince
[close]
song to talk about, and a decent amount of music is crammed in during the 30 minute runtime of the show, but it is pretty desolate.

Spoiler alert
"Pump Up The Bitter" by Star Turn On 45 Pints, ffs.
[close]

Doesn't make a very good case for that year being an improvement on the preceding one, although I do remember there were better shows around the same time as it during the repeats.

How did this TOTP episode manage to squeeze 12 tracks into 29 minutes (according to the web)?

I was studying for exams at university at this time, with no TV in the student housing, so have no memory of many of these songs even though I was only 21.

edon

I'm looking at clips of it right now and they cut all of the videos very short - the four Breaker clips all barely get 20 seconds each,
Spoiler alert
Alphabet Street
[close]
clocks in at about 2 minutes,
Spoiler alert
Kylie
[close]
on playout is faded out immediately after the credits have finished rolling. All to give such delicacies as
Spoiler alert
The Adventures
[close]
and
Spoiler alert
Wet Wet Wet
[close]
more time to perform, I suppose.

Whereas the 90s episodes are eventually down to just 8 tracks. 50% difference.

Quote from: The Roofdog on October 06, 2020, 06:17:46 PM
Oooo, is this the first episode to
Spoiler alert
pair
[close]
Spoiler alert
  Sarah
[close]
and
Spoiler alert
   Simon 
[close]
?

They are excellent in the first hour of this episode (which is as far as I am in so far) so it's long overdue.

Epic Bisto

Listening right now but already got a big laugh from
Spoiler alert
Priapic Price - he'll knock the cockles straight off your platter
[close]
!

non capisco

Quote from: Epic Bisto on October 06, 2020, 08:56:05 PM
Listening right now but already got a big laugh from
Spoiler alert
Priapic Price - he'll knock the cockles straight off your platter
[close]