Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:38:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast 2 (Man Sound) - ITS PIPOU TIME!

Started by dr beat, August 11, 2020, 09:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Natnar

I do hope Sarah does end up being on an episode with a Tango In The Night hit on it as she's quite clearly a fan of the album.

The worst ever track covered so far must be the homophobic one from the mid-70s: If by Yin and Yan 10.4.75

buzby

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on October 15, 2020, 11:50:42 PM
The worst ever track covered so far must be the homophobic one from the mid-70s.
The Lone Ranger by Quantum Jump from 1979?

Yin and Yan was worse because the whole premise was ridiculing gay men.

Egyptian Feast

I'd completely forgotten about Yin and Yan and had to look it up. That is worse than Pump Up The Bitter, agreed. After hearing enough of it to remember, I need to cleanse my ears by listening to that discussion again.

The YouTube video of their TOTP appearance has no sound for most of it, which was the ideal way to experience it. I watched the silhouette mincing in silence for a couple of minutes then switched off immediately when the repressed memory resurfaced after a few seconds of bad Telly.

Quote from: buzby on October 16, 2020, 12:02:44 AM
The Lone Ranger by Quantum Jump from 1979?

I haven't got to that yet, but having watched 20 seconds of it  I need to know...is Taylor on that episode? That video should have a warning. Even if I'd known it was BA Cunterson beforehand, I couldn't have expected that. Jesus fuck.

I must've missed that repeat. Who could forget that? I'll be surprised if a lank haired Japanese girl doesn't climb out of my phone within a week.

Egyptian Feast

I stared back into the abyss for a further few seconds and realised that isn't BA Cunterson but a different foot-faced cunt. They could be brothers though. Eurrgh.

Johnboy

I enjoyed this episode, though I did have to fast forward Sarah a bit towards the end.
I got good mileage out of Simon especially re Prefab Sprout and I was glad he didn't bang on about the Beatles
– I wonder does he realise Electric Guitars is almost certainly based on the Fabs.

edon

I still liked some of the chat of course. The preamble and dissection of an NME issue from that month was interesting as always, the coverage of Prince and Kylie was good, etc. A slightly below average episode of Chart Music is so, so much better than no Chart Music at all.

Bernice

Seedsy

Has there been any tunes that the gang has coated down and you just didn't see it coming?
I couldnt believe the scathe KC got for "give it up". Is it maybe a nostalgia thing from me, as it reminds me of being a littlun, but it's a great tune. I thought it would have been right up CMP street too.

Quote from: Seedsy on October 18, 2020, 06:15:23 PM
Has there been any tunes that the gang has coated down and you just didn't see it coming?
I couldnt believe the scathe KC got for "give it up". Is it maybe a nostalgia thing from me, as it reminds me of being a littlun, but it's a great tune. I thought it would have been right up CMP street too.

That surprised me when I heard it too, it's great and I thought it was the sort of feel good, upbeat tune they would have loved

edon

I was surprised Play To Win by Heaven 17 got slated to the extent it did by Parkes and Price in one of the earlier episodes, it's by no means their best work but never had much of a problem with it.

SteveDave

I'm late to this episode but Simon Price is a proper twat. Never trust a goth.

phantom_power

I think they are unfair to Enfield in two ways. Firstly I don't think Loadsamoney is attacking working class people. It is attacking a specific sort of person that just happens to be mainly working class. Secondly I don't think it is being dismissive of dance or hip hop. I am not sure how they could keep talking about William Orbit being involved and then saying that it was anti-dance. Surely the former suggests the latter isn't true.

Hard agree with what they said about Prefab Sprout though. I have recently just (re)discovered them and was quite scared that they were going to coat them down. I think Paddy McAloon is a bit of a genius and it was good to see that they thought so too.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: edon on October 18, 2020, 09:02:30 PM
I was surprised Play To Win by Heaven 17 got slated to the extent it did by Parkes and Price in one of the earlier episodes, it's by no means their best work but never had much of a problem with it.

Agree TF. It's one of my favourite singles of that era. I don't know how much of that is tinged with nostalgia though. I'll always associate it with watching the girl of my dreams at the local disco dressed in a purple leather jumpsuit and knee-high boots dancing to Play To Win in a fug of dry ice.

SteveDave

HOW CAN YOU HATE "THE ANFIELD RAP"? Fucking idiots. Thank God for Al.

Seedsy

Quote from: SteveDave on October 22, 2020, 09:10:57 AM

Totally to give it a joyless po faced critique is pointless.
Well done Al. This episode really did grind my gears.

edon

Perhaps if it was the only pisstake record on and not one of three, they would've gone more easy on Anfield Rap? Or maybe that would've made it a bigger target. Either way a lot of the criticisms made about it weren't too valid either.

Price and Bee not liking it could be seen coming from a mile away though. Of course they like World In Motion more.

Brundle-Fly

CMP or the music press in general, hardly ever approve of an outright 'played for laughs' comedy record though. Toast by Streetband is the closest but that's more novelty pop as opposed to the Barron Knights/ Morris & The Minors brigades' output. I can't speak for Star Turn On 45 Pints but there seems to be the assumption that parodists are always sneering at their targets but I reckon it's because these comedy acts just enjoy making pop parodies and want to remain current. I can't imagine The Evasions were trying to take down 'this awful new rapping music' in 1981 with The Whicker Rap.

DrGreggles

Quote from: SteveDave on October 22, 2020, 09:10:57 AM

It did pretty much destroy the trad football song forever though.
I know they were all terrible, but... I'm not sure what my point is.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: edon on October 16, 2020, 06:19:37 PM
I still liked some of the chat of course. The preamble and dissection of an NME issue from that month was interesting as always,

Oh, when's that, which episode about how far in? I'm finding it hard work to wade through the full 23 hours episodes of all this these days.

kidsick5000

On Saint & Greavsie, Jimmy Greaves called The Anfield Rap "rap with a capital C" - pretty risque joke for afternoon telly in 88.
After feeling hurt that he was insulting the mighty Reds, I also realised that it was the greatest joke I had heard.

Quote from: phantom_power on October 21, 2020, 02:33:03 PM
I think they are unfair to Enfield in two ways. Firstly I don't think Loadsamoney is attacking working class people. It is attacking a specific sort of person that just happens to be mainly working class. Secondly I don't think it is being dismissive of dance or hip hop. I am not sure how they could keep talking about William Orbit being involved and then saying that it was anti-dance. Surely the former suggests the latter isn't true.

They have a weird tendency on this show to say that the people who made any record they don't like were "anti-pop" or "anti-dance" or "anti-hop-hop." I mean, shit songs on the merits or not, they were hip hop songs that went to top 10 in the charts. Were hordes of anti-hop-hop gammons buying the records just to throw them on a bonfire somewhere?

I just put it down to a Music Critic thing.

edon

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on October 22, 2020, 04:10:01 PM
Oh, when's that, which episode about how far in? I'm finding it hard work to wade through the full 23 hours episodes of all this these days.

Don't remember when they started doing the feature regularly, but during the first hour or so, all of the recent ones have had Al and co briefly picking apart an issue of the music press from the very same week or month as the TOTP episode. The 1988 one in particular covered an NME, although they've also gone over issues of Smash Hits, Record Mirror, and Melody Maker of course.

SteveDave

Quote from: kidsick5000 on October 22, 2020, 04:13:02 PM
On Saint & Greavsie, Jimmy Greaves called The Anfield Rap "rap with a capital C" - pretty risque joke for afternoon telly in 88.
After feeling hurt that he was insulting the mighty Reds, I also realised that it was the greatest joke I had heard.

I remember this too and I said "You're WRONG!" at the telly.

Phil_A

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on October 22, 2020, 04:39:40 PM
They have a weird tendency on this show to say that the people who made any record they don't like were "anti-pop" or "anti-dance" or "anti-hop-hop." I mean, shit songs on the merits or not, they were hip hop songs that went to top 10 in the charts. Were hordes of anti-hop-hop gammons buying the records just to throw them on a bonfire somewhere?

I just put it down to a Music Critic thing.

They even accused Garbage of being anti-pop - regardless of whether you think they're any good or not, Garbage are very definitively a pop group! The reasoning being they acted a bit aloof and thought they were better than normal pop bands, because of course no "real" pop group have ever done that, have they.

phantom_power

I think the criticism was that they wanted to have their cake and eat it; be underground/cool and pop/successful at the same time. This may well be true but is the sort of thing music journalists care about more than punters do

edon

To be fair, a lot of the stuff they were quoting them as saying themselves seemed pretty bleak - stuff like taking pop and making it as awful sounding as possible, hating the Pet Shop Boys and Erasure, etc. And then the whole thing about not wanting to pay one of MM''s photographers for the reuse of his work either.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: edon on October 22, 2020, 04:52:03 PM
Don't remember when they started doing the feature regularly, but during the first hour or so, all of the recent ones have had Al and co briefly picking apart an issue of the music press from the very same week or month as the TOTP episode. The 1988 one in particular covered an NME, although they've also gone over issues of Smash Hits, Record Mirror, and Melody Maker of course.

Found it, I think they're right about giving scores to albums, but the rest seemed to consist of reading out bits from the NME.

It was never the tightest edited show, but the dilution of the material in these multipart shows, it's not for me anymore.

edon

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on October 23, 2020, 12:41:01 PM
Found it, I think they're right about giving scores to albums, but the rest seemed to consist of reading out bits from the NME.

It was never the tightest edited show, but the dilution of the material in these multipart shows, it's not for me anymore.
I thought there was a good bit of insight from Simon on the whole hip hop wars thing that was going on behind the scenes, which in the end pretty much precipitated the MM's demise after IPC conducted research which found black artists on the cover didn't sell as well, and they placed a veto on putting them there.