Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,489
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 04:38:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast 2 (Man Sound) - ITS PIPOU TIME!

Started by dr beat, August 11, 2020, 09:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on October 22, 2020, 04:39:40 PM
They have a weird tendency on this show to say that the people who made any record they don't like were "anti-hop-hop."

I thought they liked that Prefab Sprout song though?

famethrowa

A Pipou sighting in the wild! Some herbert on my facebook has been posting "funny" album covers for the last 6 months, today's offering served up old friends Lou DePrick and his mate, and PIPOU looking rather restrained on the congas, keeping them upright at least.

grainger

Quote from: edon on October 23, 2020, 12:30:49 PM
To be fair, a lot of the stuff they were quoting them as saying themselves seemed pretty bleak - stuff like taking pop and making it as awful sounding as possible,

If that was their aim, then they succeeded admirably.

grainger

I remember them dissing a Howard Jones performance, partially on the grounds that he had multiple synths on stage (!?). Again, no matter what you think of him or his song, this criticism was pure bollocks. First of all, it was his live setup. He was (basically) a one-man show and he brought with him what he had when he played live. True, he didn't have to do that to mime, but then you might as well say that of pretty much any band that comes on.

Secondly, one of the panellists said that you didn't need multiple synths by this point - you could do it all on one synth. Factually, that reasoning was such utter bollocks that it's laughable.

It was all some anti-prog bollocks basically - one synth = new wave, more than one = prog. Whatever. They basically didn't like Jones (rightly or wrongly) and manufactured an argument to justify it, and in doing so exposed their lack of technical knowledge.

We all essentially manufacture arguments to justify our opinions, but the CM crew normally sound a lot more convincing than this. This just made me doubt all their other opinions.

I didn't get the same feelings with the latest episode that some of you did, but I can see how it's the same thing going on, really: spotting some utter bollocks and feeling that the curtain's been pulled back.

grainger

Re. Two Man Sound.

I really like the America track, but their other stuff I found was horrible novelty bollocks. Sadly, because I was hoping for some more stuff in that vein to enjoy.

grainger

I should add that I really like CM crew. They're some of the good guys, as it were, and I usually enjoy hearing their opinions even if I don't agree with them.

Camp Tramp

Quote from: grainger on October 23, 2020, 08:29:22 PM
I should add that I really like CM crew. They're some of the good guys, as it were, and I usually enjoy hearing their opinions even if I don't agree with them.

I sometimes disagree with them as well. For example, I like Head Over Heels by Tears For Fears and they coated it down.
Unlike many other shows, I get the impression that it is OK to disagree with them though. They don't claim to be the ultimate arbiters of taste (With a few exceptions like Oasis)

Quote from: Camp Tramp on October 23, 2020, 10:54:47 PM
I sometimes disagree with them as well. For example, I like Head Over Heels by Tears For Fears and they coated it down.
Unlike many other shows, I get the impression that it is OK to disagree with them though. They don't claim to be the ultimate arbiters of taste (With a few exceptions like Oasis)

Yeah Head Over Heels is fucking great. Tears For Fears may well have been "Lemon sucking cunts" as Taylor says but it does not mean they did not some fantastic tunes of which HOH is the best of them IMO.

grainger

Quite a lot of Songs from the Big Chair is good. All of The Hurting is good.

non capisco

Head Over Heels is a ridiculously good song. Chorus the size of Bollockdog's swingers.

grainger

I prefer the verses. But then I often do.

Don't bore me, just use verses in your songs, thanks.

jamiefairlie

TFF are not cool enough to be immune to their criticism. I'm a huge fan of The Hurting era but found their other stuff to be a tad MOR bland for my tastes. Inoffensive though and not deserving of the abuse they got.

Something that bugs me about this lot is the received wisdom that indie guitar music is something you should grow out of and leave behind after you take drugs and see the light that dance music is the true art of pop music. Stubbs might be the exception there but the others seem to share that. I often wonder what kind of Goth Price was/is, he certainly doesn't seem to like any of the music I associate with the genre.

Crabwalk

He might not love all of this, but probably a pretty fair reflection.

Seedsy

Quote from: jamiefairlie on October 24, 2020, 12:23:35 AM
TFF are not cool enough to be immune to their criticism. I'm a huge fan of The Hurting era but found their other stuff to be a tad MOR bland for my tastes. Inoffensive though and not deserving of the abuse they got.

Something that bugs me about this lot is the received wisdom that indie guitar music is something you should grow out of and leave behind after you take drugs and see the light that dance music is the true art of pop music. Stubbs might be the exception there but the others seem to share that. I often wonder what kind of Goth Price was/is, he certainly doesn't seem to like any of the music I associate with the genre.

Yeah, indie guitar music does get kicking from the gang.  I quite like it myself. Alot of dross, but it's my go to favourite genre of music if I'm being honest with myself.

edon

Quote from: Seedsy on October 25, 2020, 10:06:01 AM
Yeah, indie guitar music does get kicking from the gang.  I quite like it myself. Alot of dross, but it's my go to favourite genre of music if I'm being honest with myself.
I don't get the feeling that they all believe you should grow out of 'indie' music - lots of it probably doesn't hold up well in their minds, but I think at least some of the MM lot probably could give you many examples of it that they absolutely love. I know Neil adored stuff like Throwing Muses, Disco Inferno and Come in the 90s at the same time as your Wu-Tang Clans and Mobb Deeps, as he's always written about them very favourably.

Pauline Walnuts

Wouldn't say Disco Inferno were a typical Indie guitar group.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7Mzd0XwaLU

edon

Fair point, but before DI started using samples they pretty much were that, or post punk at the very least.

Brundle-Fly

In the last episode, both Al and Simon were pretty candid that they were quite green when it came to house music in the eighties. I could dine out that I was taking E and attending Boy's Own raves near my hometown back then but truth be told, I was mainly listening to sixties psychedelia compilations and drowning in cheap lager.

This pretty much sums up my 1988

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14tCjZzQ7ow

edon

Simon I think said he did like some examples of it, particularly the 808 State and Guy Called Gerald side of things in 1988-89, but just listened to it all at home alongside all the goth stuff. Al meanwhile seems to have been fully immersed in hip hop from about 1986 to the next decade with little attention to much else.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: edon on October 26, 2020, 03:44:52 PM
Fair point, but before DI started using samples they pretty much were that, or post punk at the very least.

Just dug out the first album, it is a bit The Durutti Column but even by '92 Summer's Last Stand they'd got a lot more interesting, texturally that is, I guess in someway the actual songs are similar, it's all about the beats and sounds by 92 innit?

re. Belinda Carlisle: I saw the reformed Go-Gos play at Disney in Orlando (their pension tour, as it were) a few years ago, and Belinda Carlisle was the only one whose heart seemed to be in it. I think she still enjoyed performing those songs in a way the others had stopped doing.

DrGreggles

Not being in a coke-fuelled haze these days might help her appreciate it more.

DrGreggles

dr beat

Watch the skies High Flying Cats, Al's just sent a message on Patreon.

CMP54 'soon'...

DrGreggles

Al:

QuoteFuck it, I AM saying it's the longest ever

edon

Fingers crossed for a 70s episode after two post-84 ones in a row now.

Johnboy

dr beat