Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 03:48:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast 2 (Man Sound) - ITS PIPOU TIME!

Started by dr beat, August 11, 2020, 09:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

non capisco

Relistened to the preamble section of 'Soul Rail Replacement Service' earlier today so bang up for another Taylor and Neil episode. Forgot just how funny the Bollockdog story is. "By the LOOK on its FACE?!!"

Epic Bisto

"He was smiling...he was one of those happy dogs..." - relistening to that episode recently, I did a proper guffaw in public when Bollockdog waddles into view wearing a pair of Y-fronts.

Bring on another 70s episode.  It may be Sarney Time!

non capisco

Just landed on Patreon, Taylor and Neil, 1978, six hours and eleven minutes! Get the fuck in!

The Roofdog

How come the file's only 298MB? IS AL COMPROMISING ON AUDIO QUALITY

DrGreggles

DrGreggles

Quote from: The Roofdog on November 11, 2020, 07:17:30 PM
How come the file's only 298MB? IS AL COMPROMISING ON AUDIO QUALITY

Al:
QuoteRight then, this has taken me a day and a half to sort out, due to its massiveness - have had to try all sorts of things to get it to fit, and I've just noticed how low the bitrate is - have accidentally exported a lower version than usual. So consider this as a flexidisc preview for now, and I'll try to sort out a better version... 

Epic Bisto

Neil? Tay-Tay? Al? The dawn of the Eighventies? GET IN!!!

dr beat

Spoiler alert
Everett True and Simon Price fighting over who is the bigger Dexys fan
[close]

dr beat

I want a Rocky final fight sequence superimposed with the heads of the relevant parties on my Teams calendar by 10am tomorrow pls.

Ta
Mark Sutherland

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

non capisco

I'm going to savour this one over the week but the preamble already had me laughing like a drain. One of Al's brilliant off the cuff similes has already been quoted. Love the combination of these three. 

edon

Fucking yes. Saving a proper listen until the weekend but Taylor and Neil always pull the most interesting episodes out of their arses. Looking at that show's running order there's at least one act in there I'd been hoping one of them would get to cover at some point, so that should be particularly good.
Spoiler alert
Joy Sarney, sadly, is not in the vicinity. One day we will get there.
[close]

Quote from: Epic Bisto on November 11, 2020, 06:22:25 PM
"He was smiling...he was one of those happy dogs..." - relistening to that episode recently, I did a proper guffaw in public when Bollockdog waddles into view wearing a pair of Y-fronts.

It was Taylor's description of the "my computing teacher shags his dog in his spare room" incident that got me in that one. Almost sounded too good to be true, but the level of detail he told it in was incredible.

Tony Blackburn:
Spoiler alert
"The thinking man's dead air."
[close]

I love how, even after all this time, they can still come up with pithy descriptions of hosts they've discussed so many times before.

Their analysis of
Spoiler alert
disco-era Bee Gees
[close]
is yet another great Chart Music moment. Passionate, insightful, funny, all the adjectives.

Already one of my favourite episodes. Al, Neil and Taylor at their bestest.

HAVANAGILA

Neil, Taylor and Al have such a great dynamic - listening to them crack each other up provides so many warm and funny moments. Only a couple of hours in but I was surprised to find the gig listings readout absolutely destroyed me - the
Spoiler alert
Panties
[close]
discussion was funny enough, but the corpsing at
Spoiler alert
Fred Rickshaw's Hot Goolies
[close]
straight after had me roaring, with
Spoiler alert
David Price And The Galactic Symposium at The Packhorse in Leeds
[close]
providing the knockout punch.

So grateful to have finally stumped up for the full five dollars too - nice to have my name read out, and those extra two days of waiting for the three dollar episode drop were proving tortuous!

JohnnyYen

Neil and Taylor, the Dream Team! Might save it for the weekend and do the CM drinking game - shot every time NK says "in a sense", swig every time TP tells someone to Get Fucked, down a pint for every mention of Nottingham.

edon

When Team ATVland are on form they really do make for some of the best moments of CM. Don't know if it's cause of that Midlands kinship or the combination of both Taylor and Neil's particularly exemplary knowledge of culture and Al's brilliance in commandeering the podcast, but they're bloody great.

JohnnyYen

What date is this one? My Patreon fucked up again so I won't be getting it for a day or two

rilk

Quote from: dr beat on November 11, 2020, 10:51:52 PM
Spoiler alert
Everett True and Simon Price fighting over who is the bigger Dexys fan
[close]

Here's Everett True's account of said incident https://www.thestranger.com/seattle/dexys-midnight-runners/Content?oid=962 

dr beat

Quote from: JohnnyYen on November 12, 2020, 10:49:00 AM
What date is this one? My Patreon fucked up again so I won't be getting it for a day or two

Spoiler alert
May 25th 1978
[close]

Also...

Spoiler alert
'Gammon and Spinach'
[close]

non capisco

Quote from: rilk on November 12, 2020, 12:24:08 PM
Here's Everett True's account of said incident https://www.thestranger.com/seattle/dexys-midnight-runners/Content?oid=962 

Ha ha, "I punched out a fellow music critic" is hardly how it's remembered by the CM crew.

There was no episode the week after this due to it clashing with the World Cup opening game. I wonder how often a week was missed in the show's history (excluding Xmas/New Year) and if acts on the 1.6.78 chart missed out on their only chance of appearing on the programme.

boki

I was exactly four years and one week old when this episode aired.  It's unlikely that I watched it.

Natnar

I thought Al might be doing 1978 for the xmas episode this year since he did 76 in 2018 and 77 last year but i guess he won't be now.

I will never tire of the running joke of
Spoiler alert
Al introducing football teams in the same way he introduces pop artists. "Scotland... were very much an albums act."
[close]

DrGreggles

Quote from: DrGreggles on November 12, 2020, 11:53:10 PM
Cracking episode.

And the episode they were reviewing was pretty great too*, which tends to make a difference. As much fun as it is to hear them coating down shite, the best episodes are those in which they're also given the opportunity to enthuse about stuff. This episode struck the ideal balance.

Spoiler alert
Black Sabbath
Blondie
Boney M
Ian Dury & The Blockheads
Yvonne Elliman
Heatwave
Rod Stewart
Tavares
Thin Lizzy

That's quite a line-up.
[close]

Epic Bisto

Agreed.  It was a top notch TOTP and it was lovely to hear the praise for Lizzy and The Sabs, but even a fool would admit the Eurovision 1978 capsule reviews and James Gulloway pasting were fucking hilarious.  Also they were right, A Ba Na Bi will get stuck in your head.