Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 09:28:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast 2 (Man Sound) - ITS PIPOU TIME!

Started by dr beat, August 11, 2020, 09:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crabwalk

Fantastic episode. The highlight for me was when the sublime intro to 'What a Waste' drifted in and I knew I was in for some well-deserved rhapsodising over Ian Dury.

What a coda to the episode too. An absolute treat.

edon

Quote from: Crabwalk on November 13, 2020, 04:02:01 PM
The highlight for me was when the sublime intro to 'What a Waste' drifted in and I knew I was in for some well-deserved rhapsodising over Ian Dury.

Absolutely. I remember it was either Neil or Taylor who briefly mentioned him favourably in one of the previous recent episodes, and it's those off the cuff mentions of other acts yet to be covered and praised that get me hoping CMP continue for a long time to come. Al's right to think they've only just begun.

non capisco

If there actually is ever a live episode of Chart Music (which Al appears to be seriously considering post-COVID going by his Twitter) what's the percentage of the audience that will be us lot? It'll be like that Sparks gig that was meant to happen last month that the entirety of Oscillations regulars seemed to be going to.

Rizla

Superb episode, and so great to listen to all the 1978 world cup chat last night after the Scotland game, amazing timing there.

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on November 12, 2020, 11:20:06 PM
I will never tire of the running joke of
Spoiler alert
Al introducing football teams in the same way he introduces pop artists. "Scotland... were very much an albums act."
[close]

Very oddly, the squad's album got to No. 3 in 1974* but the single only made #20. 'We Have A Dream', 1982, was their only Top 10 single, and that only reached #5.

*Track listing

A1   –Scotland World Cup Squad   Scotland, Scotland   
A2   –Junior Campbell   Hallelujah Freedom
Written-By – Junior Campbell
A3   –Scotland World Cup Squad   Lend A Helping Hand   
A4   –Lulu   Shout
Written-By – O'Kelly Isley, Ronald Isley, Rudolph Isley
A5   –Scotland World Cup Squad   Back Home   
B1   –Scotland World Cup Squad   Easy, Easy   
B2   –J.S.D. Band   Ormond's Favourite / World Cup Reel
Written-By – C. Fleming*, D. Coffield*
B3   –Gallagher & Lyle   When I'm Dead And Gone
Written-By – B. Gallagher/G. Lyle*
B4   –Scotland World Cup Squad   Bremner's Volunteers   
B5   –Middle Of The Road   Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep
Written-By – Cassia*, Stott*
B6   –Bay City Rollers   Remember (Sha La La La)   
B7   –Scotland World Cup Squad   Scotland The Brave

non capisco

Quote from: Crabwalk on November 13, 2020, 04:02:01 PM
What a coda to the episode too. An absolute treat.

Ha ha, just got to it! That's me with
Spoiler alert
ROOOOOOCK EXPERT DAVID STUUU-U-UUBBS!
[close]
in my head all weekend, then.

Egyptian Feast

I once worked with a bloke called James Henderson. He was a cunt.

shiftwork2

An absolute cracker, into my top five CMP episodes

non capisco

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Spoiler alert
"James Galway and his flute of V.D."
[close]

SteveDave

I laughed more at Taylor Parkes in the opening 7 minutes of this episode than anything else in the last few months. Him saying his hair was "Series 3 of Monty Python" created the perfect visual image.

Camp Tramp

I loved the
Spoiler alert
Coatdown of Cilla Black, especially the comment about her being a collective punishment for being British.
[close]

boki

On a vaguely CM-adjacent note, Leee John is the guest on the latest episode of Off The Beat & Track

edon

Apparently there's been some issues with the sound editing of the three available parts for the non-Patreon Crazed Youngsters, though according to Al on Twitter its all fixed now.

SteveDave

I hope Neil was reprimanded for claiming that "(I'm Always Touched By Your) Presence Dear" was on "Parallel Lines"

Neomod

Quote from: edon on November 15, 2020, 07:04:36 PM
Apparently there's been some issues with the sound editing of the three available parts for the non-Patreon Crazed Youngsters, though according to Al on Twitter its all fixed now.

nah they were fine. Not like the time great big owl ads would superimpose themselves over the top of the panel talking.

I feel sorry that Patreon bods miss out on the truly terrible ads for that brit-crim wankathon podcast. "Tell me of some of the things you done" "I kicked a nonce in the balls when I was 5"

Edit. On part 3 and there does seem to be an edit jump after the Thin Lizzy discussion.

daf

They all sound bloody awful bargepole material - it's like having Dave Clark pop up during The White album.

SteveDave

It's thanks to this edition that I finally understand what Les McQueen was talking about when he sang "Ah Barney Bee Ah Barney Bear"

daf

Quote from: Neomod on November 16, 2020, 02:14:26 PM
Edit. On part 3 and there does seem to be an edit jump after the Thin Lizzy discussion.

Seems fine on the one I downloaded from the Chart Music website (rather than the patreon page) : fades out during the post Rosalie applause, and then back in again after the adverts for Blackburn's outro - or is the edit jump somewhere else?

Neomod

Quote from: daf on November 16, 2020, 06:56:56 PM
Seems fine on the one I downloaded from the Chart Music website (rather than the patreon page) : fades out during the post Rosalie applause, and then back in again after the adverts for Blackburn's outro - or is the edit jump somewhere else?

Yeah I deleted, downloaded again and it was fine. I think it was where an ad was supposed to be placed but was missing.

That World Cup talk brought back memories and so I checked my archive[nb]the loft[/nb] and found these pertinent documents..

Bottom two are Paninis and a superior product but that Scoop cover is the best. Not so sure about their flag research though.

My mum went to visit my Auntie in L.A. in 78 and bought my sister's the Grease soundtrack. The double LP with all the sha na na stuff as well. I got a Han Solo laser pistol not available in the UK. I think I know who was winning.

dr beat

Yeah probably one of my favourite CMP episodes, helped by an absolutely incredible TOTP line-up. 

I agree with Al, there is loads to like on the Saturday Night Fever album beyond Stayin Alive.  That album got regular play in our house as a kid but Yvonne Ellerman and Tavares got many more spins than the Gibb Bros.

Alongside stuff like Walter Murphy you've also got 'K-Jee' by MFSB which is sublime and the 7:30 full version of Disco Inferno which locks itself stubbornly and relentlessly into the bass groove, building up the tension before finally, right at the end, releasing the chorus.  Great version to DJ with.

grainger

The description of Cilla's "storing food for the winter" face had me laughing for ages.

jamiefairlie

Fantastic episode. This really is the A-team lineup isn't it? Taylor has such a wonderful rhythm and flow to his rants, almost musical and he is so precise with his selection of words and imagery. I could have had a few more hours of this.

grainger

Yeah, I love Taylor's rants. He's always a pleasure to listen to, and I like his world-weary - without being reactionary - dismay at the modern world.

shiftwork2

I completely agree.  He's endearing rather than wearying.  The stuntman career change recommendation had me in bits (despite it being partly based on him supposedly having nothing to live for).

daf

Cottonon

Not finished this yet but Taylors early description of Blackburn as
Spoiler alert
the thinking mans dead air
[close]
got a huge laugh from me. He always delivers something so perfectly economical.

The idea of going to a live episode of CM, ideally where they screen the episode first, is impossibly exciting.

gilbertharding

"Dusty Shelbyville" was a nice throwaway from a few podcasts back.

I'm re-listening to CM#6, and it's amazing how quiet and restrained it all is compared to the chaos of recent episodes. And it's only 2h25m long!