Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,466
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 03:02:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast 2 (Man Sound) - ITS PIPOU TIME!

Started by dr beat, August 11, 2020, 09:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shiftwork2

Quote from: dr beat on December 10, 2020, 01:17:11 AM
Ok so far I'm calling it for
Spoiler alert
23rd December 1982
[close]

Er...how the fuck did you manage that?  Inside job!

Johnboy

edon

Quote from: shiftwork2 on December 16, 2020, 02:51:09 PM

Christ. The Chart Music Oracle.

I was kind of hoping Kulkarni and Stubbs would get to do a really good 82 episode at some point with the great side of that year shown, but ho-hum. If little else the desecration of the Zoo twats in the Christmas one will be decent to hear.

DrGreggles

One of the best chats about a #1 single on any CM so far.

Stubbs nowhere near as annoying on this episode as he was on his last one.

beanheadmcginty

Tut tut. Al got his onomatopoeic mixed up with his alliterative there.

Also felt that David's "fuck a duck" comment deserved more recognition.

Campbell Soupe

bigfatheart

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on December 16, 2020, 07:46:47 PM

Felt that REDS (as all the cool kids are calling him) was on good form throughout.

Al's
Spoiler alert
Shakey
[close]
introduction had me howling.

shiftwork2

dr beat

QuoteQuote from: dr beat on December 10, 2020, 01:17:11 AM
Ok so far I'm calling it for
Spoiler alert
23rd December 1982
[close]

It may or may not surprise you that I was somewhat 'refreshed' the other night and, as is my wont sometimes, I vanished down a ToTP Youtube rabbit hole.  Stumbled across this episode entirely by chance (or by algorithms).  In the cold light of day, yes now I can see its a tawdry line-up of artistes, but my thinking at the time was that it would nonetheless make for a great CMP discussion.

buzby

Only on part 1 so far, but enjoying it a lot more than the last couple. I agree that Stubbsy is on form in this episode so far (the reading of the last few pages of his comedy book was hilarious).

However - point of order, Al. M&Ms had nothing to do with ET. Although they appeared in the original script and it's novelisation, Mars turned down Spielberg's approach for product placement and so he went to Hersheys, who jumped at the chance to promote their Reeses Pieces.

Even if it had been M&Ms, the analogy of it being Revels for the UK version is off. Mars' Treets were the UK equivalent of M&Ms and were discontinued when M&Ms were launched in the UK in late 1988 (as mentioned in this thread from earlier in the year), long after ET came out.

beanheadmcginty

Yeah but who remembers Mars Treets (apart from you obviously)?

I can't remember ever seeing Pat Sharp present TOTP but apparently he did a few in 1982-83 and a spot on the last ever one.

(It seems that on 2.12.82 Peter Powell "introduced" Sharp, Janice Long (his later girlfriend) and Gary Davies https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0730594/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_i653; the Top of the Pops on BBC Four thread also confirms this.)

DrGreggles

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on December 17, 2020, 04:18:41 PM
I can't remember ever seeing Pat Sharp present TOTP but apparently he did six in 1982-83 and a spot on the last ever one.

He was rotten.
Seemed dead inside every time he wasn't talking.

justin_bennett

I'm up to
Spoiler alert
Imagination
[close]
so far and it's had me howling while walking around the park.  Agree with the above Stubbs comment - he is much more on form so far.  Early Xmas pressie - just what the good doctor ordered...

JohnnyYen

Apparently Pat Sharp's got a book out and it's incredible. Just flat-out barefaced enormous lying throughout.

Epic Bisto

I didn't have high hopes for this episode, but it was wonderful.  The
Spoiler alert
Grandmaster Flash bidet confusion
[close]
and the discussion of
Spoiler alert
Renne & Renato's posse cut
[close]
was exemplary and Stubbs in particular was brilliant (
Spoiler alert
his comedy book epilogue
[close]
in particular)

Has anyone checked out
Spoiler alert
the easter egg
[close]
yet?
Spoiler alert
The Pigwanker General's ET impersonation
[close]
almost made me keel over in hysterics

Epic Bisto

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on December 17, 2020, 04:18:41 PM
I can't remember ever seeing Pat Sharp present TOTP but apparently he did a few in 1982-83 and a spot on the last ever one.

Oh, if only Pat Sharp & Andy Peebles teamed up to host an episode.  One can only imagine the full-on Taylorpocalypse that would ensue if they covered that one.

Crabwalk

What the hell was up with Smash Hits readers in '82? I mean, voting beast-tier banger 'Wot' by Captain Sensible worst song???

famethrowa

Quote from: Crabwalk on December 17, 2020, 11:53:23 PM
What the hell was up with Smash Hits readers in '82? I mean, voting beast-tier banger 'Wot' by Captain Sensible worst song???

Yeah come on. But, I love "the Captain" and I think he's great, but I turned on the car radio the other day and Wot was playing, but from about halfway through. And it got kind of annoying, it was a really long repetitive playout. I was pleased that the CM chaps (sort of) acknowledged Captain as a pioneer of rap though, in a previous episode.

Bobby Treetops

non capisco

ROCK EXPERT DAVID STU-U-UBBS' imaginary letter to his 'son' Renato was the highlight for me. Another great episode. Glad 'Heartache Avenue' got a relatively warm reception, love that record.

gilbertharding

Quote from: DrGreggles on December 17, 2020, 04:21:57 PM
He was rotten.
Seemed dead inside every time he wasn't talking.

If Dafposter was feeling very kind, he could probably link to the CaB TotP thread posts where Shat Parp is discussed. I can remember him being *utterly* useless at it, as you have said.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Another thumbs up for REDS in that episode, he was very funny. And not just because of his scripted material, he was on top form throughout.

daf

Quote from: gilbertharding on December 18, 2020, 01:35:21 PM
If Dafposter was feeling very kind, he could probably link to the CaB TotP thread posts where Shat Parp is discussed. I can remember him being *utterly* useless at it, as you have said.

Think this is the lot -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2 December 1982 : Peter Powell, Gary Davies, Janice Long & Pat Sharp
30 December 1982 : Jimmy Savile, Pat Sharp, Janice Long & Gary Davies (Live)
10 February 1983 : Janice Long & Pat Sharp
26 May 1983 : Peter Powell & Pat Sharp
2 July 1983 : Jimmy Savile & Pat Sharp
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The Pat chat is only in a couple - (following 10 February 1983 & 26 May 1983) - but I thought I'd include all of his appearances anyway.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on December 16, 2020, 07:46:47 PM

I came to this thread to say the very same thing.

edon

Loving the Parappa The Rapper references by Al in the non-Patreon Crazed Youngster parts as well

Been pointed out to them on Twitter that they failed to mention Simon Groom and Peter Duncan lurking in the opening shot of the Shaky performance - amazingly, they are there:

https://twitter.com/ChartMusicTOTP/status/1340284839497445376?s=20

SteveDave

I'm partway through episode 3 and, like Neil says, Al's tainting songs left, right and centre this episode. I'd never put two and two together about Bowie's dislike for "Little Drummer Boy" before. It makes sense though.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: SteveDave on December 22, 2020, 11:23:52 AM
I'm partway through episode 3 and, like Neil says, Al's tainting songs left, right and centre this episode. I'd never put two and two together about Bowie's dislike for "Little Drummer Boy" before. It makes sense though.

I don't really want to look into the Ian Brady Little Drummer Boy business, it sounds too upsetting. Cheers, Al!

Egyptian Feast

I always hated that song. It evokes memories of a fat kid at Christmas doing my head in with their high-pitched pa rum pum pum pums. I can bear this version as soon as Bowie starts singing 'Peace on Earth', but like everyone else, he has no business letting the words pa rum pum pum pum escape his mouth in the first place.