Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:53:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast 2 (Man Sound) - ITS PIPOU TIME!

Started by dr beat, August 11, 2020, 09:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnboy

Levi

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on December 22, 2020, 11:32:31 AM
I don't really want to look into the Ian Brady Little Drummer Boy business, it sounds too upsetting. Cheers, Al!

I Googled it.

Wish I hadn't.

SteveDave

A wonderful episode but I still really like "Save Your Love" for some reason.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: SteveDave on December 24, 2020, 02:30:34 PM
A wonderful episode but I still really like "Save Your Love" for some reason.

I've always been quite fond of it too. Harmless kitsch.

edon

If they do end up covering Savile, I imagine Pricey will be counted out of it - just seen his tweets about not being able to stomach him on the Boxing Day TOTP from 1967 even after psyching himself up. If there's any contributors who'd manage it I think it'd be Parkes with either Bee or Kulkarni.

https://twitter.com/simon_price01/status/1343009441235537920?s=20

Incidentally he also mentions he did a binge watch of several Xmas editions from 72, 73, 79, 82, 83, 85, 86, and 93 - barring 73 which has been done already, potential candidates for the next episode?

Bernice

79 has Cunterson doing Bang Bang but TWO Blondie tunes.

Edit: See Simon Price covered that in his tweet - it is a great ep and I had the same observation about fidget spinner backgrounds.

Blue Jam

Please could someone confirm or deny this for me: In the 1990's I put a load of stickers on my bedroom door with slogans like "WHERE'S ME WASHBOARD?" and "Anyone fancy a pint?" and "Niiiiice". I swear they came from a free sheet of stickers given away with Melody Maker in the late 90's which included a fuckload of Fast Show quotes- anyone else remember this?

I remember the Christmas issue where Brilliant and Rubbish did their summaries of Christmas:

QuoteBRILLIANT: Christmas crackers are BRILLIANT! Posh people's crackers really are BRILLIANT, they've got Rolls Royces and things in them! BRILLIANT!

QuoteRUBBISH: Nativity plays are RUBBISH! It's the same story every year, and the acting is very amateurish. They're RUBBISH!

I'm not sure about the stickers but BRILLIANT and RUBBISH in the Christmas issue definitely happened.

non capisco

Quote from: Blue Jam on December 28, 2020, 11:50:44 PM
Please could someone confirm or deny this for me: In the 1990's I put a load of stickers on my bedroom door with slogans like "WHERE'S ME WASHBOARD?" and "Anyone fancy a pint?" and "Niiiiice". I swear they came from a free sheet of stickers given away with Melody Maker in the late 90's which included a fuckload of Fast Show quotes- anyone else remember this?
I'm not sure about the stickers but BRILLIANT and RUBBISH in the Christmas issue definitely happened.

Yeah, definitely happened in the shite reformatted 'Craig David lookalike on the toilet' years. 'I love Liam' with a shamrock was one of the other stickers, as if Oasis were The Dubliners or something.

SteveDave

Quote from: Bernice on December 28, 2020, 09:05:03 PM
79 has Cunterson doing Bang Bang but TWO Blondie tunes.

As a long-faced man, I feel some affinity with BA Cunterson. "Bang Bang" is a tune.

Brundle-Fly

I forgot about all that horrible stuff about Bing Crosby. I remembered that he had a reputation of being a crotchety lush but he appears to have been a proper icy sadist to his kids. This South Bank Show on him is worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY_l91ex-X8

Blue Jam

Quote from: non capisco on December 29, 2020, 12:07:34 AM
Yeah, definitely happened in the shite reformatted 'Craig David lookalike on the toilet' years. 'I love Liam' with a shamrock was one of the other stickers, as if Oasis were The Dubliners or something.

I suspect that was nothing to do with Plastic Paddiness and was a reference to the design Patsy Kensit had tattooed on her ankle at the time.

She's since had it lasered off.

SteveDave

Quote from: Blue Jam on December 29, 2020, 06:09:52 PM
I suspect that was nothing to do with Plastic Paddiness and was a reference to the design Patsy Kensit had tattooed on her ankle at the time.

She's since had it lasered off.

She's had her ankle lasered off? That's a bit drastic.

Crabwalk

HOLY F'ING CUNT, Al has dropped a sweet surprise on us

Egyptian Feast

Hooray! Just in time to save New Year's Eve.
Spoiler alert
Seven hours!
[close]

Christ, this was a pleasant surprise.  Absolute heroes. 
SEVEN BLOODY HOURS!  Get in there. 

non capisco

Campbell Soupe

Wonderful new year surprise. A bottle and a half of cheap red already under the belt, and my evening is now complete... gawd bless you mr needham, and fuck you 2020

justin_bennett

shiftwork2

Quote from: justin_bennett on December 31, 2020, 09:53:49 PM
FINALLY
Spoiler alert
THEY ARE ALL THERE
[close]

I am nearly three hours in and it's great except that
Spoiler alert
it's confusingly Al and Taylor with the others flown individually into certain segments and then disappearing without explanation
[close]

dr beat

I'll get round to hearing the new one ASAP but for now I just want to wish everyone at CMP all the very best for 2021 and thank you so, so much for the joy and the pop-crazed brilliance.  A tonic, in fact much, much more so in what has been some particularly weird and insomniac times.  Thanks, many thanks to you all, and take care.

edon

Hate the label national treasures but these lovely lovely people are pretty much exactly that. Bless them

Happiest of new years to all of the CMP team and cannot wait to listen to the new one later on today.

LOL at the
Spoiler alert
Saddam Hussein
[close]
and
Spoiler alert
Thora Hurd
[close]
jokes (just after the 5 hours mark).

non capisco

Only partway in to the mammoth running time of this epic beast but I laughed more than is necessary at this classic bit of immaturity from Taylor. "The Fraggles Are Coming." "Ugh."

Let out a little "Yes!" when it became evident that
Spoiler alert
all the team are going to be showing up in this one
[close]

Quote from: non capisco on January 01, 2021, 04:43:43 PM
Let out a little "Yes!" when it became evident that
Spoiler alert
all the team are going to be showing up in this one
[close]

Me too.
Spoiler alert
I love the whole knowingly fabricated "a Chart Music Christmas at Al's house" vibe. I hope they do this every year from now on.
[close]

non capisco

Spoiler alert
"This must be the first time that sex has reared its head in the Michael Jackson catalogue. Although I don't want to look too deeply into Ben."

"That's not what he said."
[close]

Fucking hell, that just made me roar the house down. I love you, Chart Music.

Likewise! We must be listening to this episode in sync.

Also, I love the fact that
Spoiler alert
Comrade Shaky has - I think? - been covered more frequently than any other artist on CM. And they've never run out of things to say about him. "Quizzlin' Stevens".
[close]

Spoiler alert
Sarah's 'slam poetry' dissection of the Total Eclipse of the Heart video has been one of the highlights so far.
[close]