Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,472
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 03:17:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast 2 (Man Sound) - ITS PIPOU TIME!

Started by dr beat, August 11, 2020, 09:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rilk

(new page chirpy chirpy cheep cheep by the jay boys)

david stubbs mentioned a reggae version of slade's cum on feel the noize on that last ep - al got as excited as i did at the prospect of it -i've tried googling, no luck, it's not on the video playlist - anyone know what he was talking about or was it misremembered bollocks?

shiftwork2

I had only vague recollections of the video for Total Eclipse of the Heart but fuck me every frame delivers.

easytarget

Quote from: JohnnyYen on January 08, 2021, 03:18:35 PM
Chart Music drinking game.

TP: flat (as a description)
TP: flat (referring to his flat)

Loved the 7+hour monstercast, I'm glad they kept Taylor as the permanent guest - he's my favorite one. AND it was great to hear from every contributor in this episode, they're all superb.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: shiftwork2 on January 09, 2021, 01:32:21 AM
I had only vague recollections of the video for Total Eclipse of the Heart but fuck me every frame delivers.

It's a work of art. There's a video in the playlist with some American singing a literal description of the onscreen action, which is very funny and well done, but kinda unnecessary. Every time I watch it I've forgotten how dense with absurdity it is and am astonished anew.

Sarah's slam poetry description was great. I love how Al barely had the time to edit the episode, compile the playlist and write the blurb before 2020 ran out, but he still ensured that bit was given the soundtrack of ridiculous sound effects it deserved.

Dusty Substance

What a stupendous episode! I loved every single second of it. I usually find Stubbs a bit of a bore but I enjoyed his review of TOTP 2020 Christmas spesh and the story of Stockhausen prank.

What with it being an end of year TOTP, there was oodles of great music for them to discuss. I turned five in 1983 and I have pretty vivid memories of hearing songs for the first time in that year, especially Eurythmics, Billy Joel and Bonnie Tyler (the video for the latter might as well have been a full length film as far as I was concerned at the time).

I love Chart Music so very much. Their ability to coin phrases astounds me. I particularly liked Al's use of "Huxtable disco" to describe Lionel Richie's music.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on January 08, 2021, 07:49:29 PM
Here's a CM drinking game I've just thought of:

Line up shots and cue a DLT or Noel Edmonds episode. You must down one for every insult or slur directed their way.

Dead before the first song even starts.

I wonder if they'll ever run out of funny and inventive ways of slagging that pair off? It seems unlikely.

bigfatheart

I watched the 1974 Christmas special hosted by those two cunts earlier, and which hasn't been covered yet - there's plenty of fuel for that particular fire in that episode.

EOLAN

Great episode. Full of nostalgia for me covering the year I was born. Mainly because one of our main taped off the TV VHS tapes was of MTV USA on Irish TV around end of 83/ early 84 which had so many of these songs.

Was really caught off guard with Janice Long little joke about All Night Long (All Night); and also loved what Al reasonably explained as a misread line apart Tina Turner.

boki

Anyone else get halfway through their second listen before realising that the doorbell was playing the Whole Lotta Love riff?

Dusty Substance

Quote from: boki on January 12, 2021, 12:26:55 PM
Anyone else get halfway through their second listen before realising that the doorbell was playing the Whole Lotta Love riff?

Fuck my hat, I didn't realise that.

gilbertharding

Sharp intake of breath hearing Sarah Bee's Corbyn misgivings in the final part.

Seedsy

Absolutely fantastic episode. Al Needham you are a wonderful human being
Totally agree with Neil at the end, that was a great episode of totp, the year very well represented with hit after hit. Most of them I love.
I'm glad he put right the wrong, the pasting KC and the Sunshine band got on a previous CM

Do we all hope that will be Taylor now in every show? A sort of promotion to be Als right hand man, or should he not mess with any molecules, keep it as is

I still find Sarah Bee to be quite flat, and David stubbs to be rather tedious, a drinking game could be all the cool bands he name drops he was into as a youth, amd how he flat out seems to hate nearly all pop. He can be quite joyless. Sorry for the negative last paragraphs folks. On a whole I loved it, and will make it a Xmas tradition going forward to listen to this particular episode.

Seedsy

Quote from: gilbertharding on January 18, 2021, 11:14:44 AM

I must have missed this. What did she say.

phantom_power

Quote from: Seedsy on January 18, 2021, 11:55:49 AM

I still find Sarah Bee to be quite flat, and David stubbs to be rather tedious, a drinking game could be all the cool bands he name drops he was into as a youth, amd how he flat out seems to hate nearly all pop. He can be quite joyless. Sorry for the negative last paragraphs folks. On a whole I loved it, and will make it a Xmas tradition going forward to listen to this particular episode.

He is very aware of this though I think, at is pretty self-deprecating about it

non capisco

I've thought that before about Rock Expert David Stubbs (mainly during that one uncharacteristically flat 90s-covering episode when he went on and on about Young Gods) but his last three appearances have all been great, particularly the Ugly Duckling anecdote and the letter to his 'son' Renato. I've really warmed to him. He's especially good when he's paired with Taylor and they both get crazily in depth. Just keep him away from the 90s, I reckon. And the only weakest two episodes are him and Sarah, they don't seem to gel as guests together as well as the other combos.

JohnnyYen

Quote from: gilbertharding on January 18, 2021, 11:14:44 AM

Probably best you don't read TP's feature on him in the Quietus then...

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: non capisco on January 18, 2021, 03:24:54 PM
I've thought that before about Rock Expert David Stubbs (mainly during that one uncharacteristically flat 90s-covering episode when he went on and on about Young Gods) but his last three appearances have all been great, particularly the Ugly Duckling anecdote and the letter to his 'son' Renato. I've really warmed to him. He's especially good when he's paired with Taylor and they both get crazily in depth. Just keep him away from the 90s, I reckon. And the only weakest two episodes are him and Sarah, they don't seem to gel as guests together as well as the other combos.

Stubbs is very self-deprecating about his younger snobby self. There's a lot of humility with him.

I also admire Price's honesty about owning No Parlez by Paul Young and UB40's Labour Of Love. That took courage,

Johnboy

What a great episode.

I know it's relatively long but it's surely the perfect Chart Show primer.

JohnnyYen

Bit late to the party but if anyone needs a Taylor fix while we wait for the next one, he's on this doing his usual forensic and sweary demolition on an episode of the One Show:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/5eJH6DpgqvvEF0nllwDj4P?si=oEXqINgFQfOr8Ojxnzs18g

DrGreggles

Any CM fans missing Here Comes Quizm may be interested to learn that the latest instalment of my own Saturday night pop quiz* is tomorrow at 7:30pm.

Come and join the 'fun'!

*endorsed with a book with a foreword by Paul Gambaccini

hummingofevil

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 22, 2021, 08:53:45 PM
Any CM fans missing Here Comes Quizm may be interested to learn that the latest instalment of my own Saturday night pop quiz* is tomorrow at 7:30pm.

Come and join the 'fun'!

*endorsed with a book with a foreword by Paul Gambaccini

I am really missing being shamed to fuck by getting 3/100 on pop quiz on podcast that I have spent +100 hours investing in. How do I sign up?*

*Seriously I want in if possible. :)

hummingofevil

Oh I am sorry I can't be arsed reading the whole thread but did you all discuss how funny as fuck David Stubbs was on the last podcast proper? And how it was such a joy listening to Neil giggling throughout at his craic? I know Taylor is supposed to be the funny one but I find the Rock Expert himself so amusing.  A comedy muscadet to Taylor's Reisling.

DrGreggles

Quote from: hummingofevil on January 23, 2021, 01:21:13 AM
I am really missing being shamed to fuck by getting 3/100 on pop quiz on podcast that I have spent +100 hours investing in. How do I sign up?*

*Seriously I want in if possible. :)

I'll post the exciting details in the 'Saturday Night Pop Quiz LIVE!' thread.

non capisco

Quote from: hummingofevil on January 23, 2021, 01:24:52 AM
Oh I am sorry I can't be arsed reading the whole thread but did you all discuss how funny as fuck David Stubbs was on the last podcast proper? And how it was such a joy listening to Neil giggling throughout at his craic? I know Taylor is supposed to be the funny one but I find the Rock Expert himself so amusing.  A comedy muscadet to Taylor's Reisling.

Yep, agreed. His last thee appearances have all been great. I also find it endearing how much he clearly enjoys the whole "Rock expert...David Stu-u-ubbs!" bit.

"Fuck a duck!"

DrGreggles

I've always been on #TeamStubbs.
Glad so many of you have agreed that I was right all along.

DrGreggles

Pop quiz link for tonight:
https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,83394.msg4442717.html#msg4442717

hummingofevil will be pleased to know that it's much easier (and, lets face it, better) than Here Comes Quizm.

Whilst on the plop just now reading Viz, I noticed that podcasts have started advertising in it (no Aqua Velvas advert this month thankfully) I reckon Al should fetch a few quid from out of his G-string and use it to spread the word. The Viz readership is an ideal breeding ground for potential CM fans.

Neomod

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 23, 2021, 09:52:59 AM
I've always been on #TeamStubbs.
Glad so many of you have agreed that I was right all along.

Nah. He's not a natural wit. Which is not to say I don't enjoy his contributions but he's definitely the most stilted panel member.

Camp Tramp

Quote from: Neomod on January 23, 2021, 02:26:54 PM
Nah. He's not a natural wit. Which is not to say I don't enjoy his contributions but he's definitely the most stilted panel member.

One of the many things I like about the pod is that it achieves a nice balance between humour and being informative. Taylor is a good example of this. he has a fantastic turn of phrase, but also knows so much about the subject. The other contributors are the same to a varying degree. I like that each contributor is very different from the others.

Neomod

Quote from: Camp Tramp on January 23, 2021, 03:29:45 PM
One of the many things I like about the pod is that it achieves a nice balance between humour and being informative. Taylor is a good example of this. he has a fantastic turn of phrase, but also knows so much about the subject. The other contributors are the same to a varying degree. I like that each contributor is very different from the others.

Indeed.