Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,582,207
  • Total Topics: 106,728
  • Online Today: 897
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 04:33:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast 2 (Man Sound) - ITS PIPOU TIME!

Started by dr beat, August 11, 2020, 09:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brundle-Fly

One of favourite CMP moments was in a recent ep when they were discussing the unfitness of old school footballers. Al mentions he met either the Scotland squad manager or a player and asked him if ever thought the team had a chance of getting to the finals. It's the way Al recounts the brutally candid and matter of fact reply.

"No."

DrGreggles

Any CM fans missing Here Comes Quizm may be interested to learn that the latest instalment of my own Saturday night pop quiz* is tomorrow at 7:30pm.

Come and join the 'fun'!

*endorsed with a book with a foreword by Paul Gambaccini

cosmic-hearse

Quote from: rilk on January 09, 2021, 01:13:49 AM
(new page chirpy chirpy cheep cheep by the jay boys)

david stubbs mentioned a reggae version of slade's cum on feel the noize on that last ep - al got as excited as i did at the prospect of it -i've tried googling, no luck, it's not on the video playlist - anyone know what he was talking about or was it misremembered bollocks?

There is a reggae cover of 'Mama We're All Crazee Now' by Denzil Dennis, maybe it was that?

dr beat

Watching BBC coverage of the Super Bowl.  They have something called the 'Romo Report'.

famethrowa

Quote from: dr beat on February 07, 2021, 11:57:10 PM
Watching BBC coverage of the Super Bowl.  They have something called the 'Romo Report'.

So they're just playing a random Pricey episode? ehehehe

justin_bennett

All quiet on the CM front - is this the longest gap between episodes yet?  Hope all is well at Al Towers.

Keep refreshing the Twitter to see if Bates is flying past on his broomstick to no avail.  Maybe this post will tempt fate...

shiftwork2

I think January is usually a fallow month as December contains two.  I was re-listening to the Christmas epic until a couple of weeks ago so it doesn't seem long since we heard from them.

edon

Both Al and Pricey have alluded to it coming soon when asked on Twitter, so I would expect the next one to come in a week or two's time

edon

Al says next week and it's an episode from "The Golden Age" - should be interesting

Seedsy

Quote from: edon on February 13, 2021, 06:03:43 PM
Al says next week and it's an episode from "The Golden Age" - should be interesting

79-81
Bring it

non capisco

Al's linked to the Legs & Co routine to 'Hooked On Classics' on Facebook today so I'm gonna guess that episode from July '81. Which would possibly mean a coatdown for Bill Wyman's 'Si Si, Je Suis Un Rock Star'.

bigfatheart

Also hosted by
Spoiler alert
Steve Wright in the afternoon
[close]
, one of the hosts they've not covered much, comparative to how often they hosted.

Worth noting that episode also has
Spoiler alert
Depeche Mode
[close]
and
Spoiler alert
Comrade Shakey
[close]
, both of whom they've covered a fair few times. Not that I'm complaining with the latter, I don't think the well will ever run dry with him.

matjam13

Quote from: non capisco on February 14, 2021, 11:53:49 PM
Al's linked to the Legs & Co routine to 'Hooked On Classics' on Facebook today so I'm gonna guess that episode from July '81. Which would possibly mean a coatdown for Bill Wyman's 'Si Si, Je Suis Un Rock Star'.
This may be the reason why they posted that.
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/louis-clark-elo-dies/

shiftwork2

July '81. Which would possibly mean a coatdown for Bill Wyman's 'Si Si, Je Suis Un Rock Star'.

I don't have the episode list to hand but that beaster was high in the charts in a recent-ish episode and I was gutted it didn't feature.

edon

Pretty sure that was the episode which Neil chose with Rolling Stones, Soft Cell, Cliff etc on it. Looking at the running order of that episode it's nearly all acts that they've done at least a few times before, including in the previous 81 editions covered, so not as sure about that one

I think Al also referred to the Eighventies era as the "silver age" in one of the other shows, so I was kind of assuming we'd be getting one of the few viable early TOTPs that are available - either are fine though.

non capisco

Ah yes, makes sense. Should be early to mid 70s then, don't think we've had one of those in quite a while.

Brundle-Fly

Coatdown Bill's agenda but not the record. I bloody love it!

shiftwork2

That's it.  There was an allusion to Bill at the start but TOTP had gone with the Start Me Up video instead of Bill and his fingers that were possibly illegally sticky.

The last great Stones single so who can question that judgment.  The video is brilliant and fascinating by the way, but I've tried to work out what's so off about it (lighting, perspective, the direction that allows Wood and Richards to loom in and dominate the shot out of nowhere?) with no satisfactory answer.

edon

The TOTP performance of Je Suis un Rock Star itself is odd - they must've recorded two separate takes, as in some shots Wyman's brandishing a guitar but others have him hunched over at a Moog with completely different lighting. Can't think of any other times they cut two performances together?

It also looks like it was shown a second time on the 13/08/81 show, where Simon Bates is later accidentally recorded getting down to Shaky on the studio projector screen as if he's some sort of Big Brother dictator figure (see below gif). God knows what would be made of that on CMP

non capisco

^ I've always wanted them to cover that, it's one of my favourite TOTP moments. Laughed like a drain when I first saw it on the repeats. He's up on the screen clapping and looking like a dick for what seems like ages.

non capisco

Quote from: edon on February 15, 2021, 10:48:03 PM
The TOTP performance of Je Suis un Rock Star itself is odd - they must've recorded two separate takes, as in some shots Wyman's brandishing a guitar but others have him hunched over at a Moog with completely different lighting. Can't think of any other times they cut two performances together?

They did it a few times in the 70s I think. Hot Chocolate doing 'No Doubt About It', a completely sincere top 10 hit about the band encountering what they believed to be a UFO, is made up of two different takes where the audience keep disappearing and reappearing. There's definitely a Showaddywaddy one where they change costumes in-performance as well.

Phil_A

Quote from: shiftwork2 on February 15, 2021, 09:10:23 PM
That's it.  There was an allusion to Bill at the start but TOTP had gone with the Start Me Up video instead of Bill and his fingers that were possibly illegally sticky.

The last great Stones single so who can question that judgment.  The video is brilliant and fascinating by the way, but I've tried to work out what's so off about it (lighting, perspective, the direction that allows Wood and Richards to loom in and dominate the shot out of nowhere?) with no satisfactory answer.

And of course the St Sanders "shreds" version is legendary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61RtfAqxCbg

dr beat

Quote from: edon on February 15, 2021, 10:48:03 PM

That song is something of a blind spot for me.  Sounds like Joe Cornish doing Songwars.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I dig the fat, squelchy Moog bassline, but yeah, it sounds exactly like what it is: a tossed-off trifle from the most boring member of The Rolling Stones.

batwings

New ep up on Patreon:

Spoiler alert
Chart Music #57: October 11th 1973 – A Balloon Full Of Gravy
[close]

DrGreggles

dr beat

Ooh this sounds good.

Spoiler alert
Cool, Simon and Neil - don't think we've had that combo for a while have we?
[close]

Rizla

Sweet! Have they done a cuddly Ken-fronted ep before? I can't remember.