Author Topic: Chart Music Podcast 2 (Man Sound) - ITS PIPOU TIME!  (Read 48139 times)

Brundle-Fly

• "Why don't you do something to help me?"
Re: Chart Music Podcast 2 (Man Sound) - ITS PIPOU TIME!
« Reply #540 on: January 23, 2021, 06:05:16 PM »
One of favourite CMP moments was in a recent ep when they were discussing the unfitness of old school footballers. Al mentions he met either the Scotland squad manager or a player and asked him if ever thought the team had a chance of getting to the finals. It’s the way Al recounts the brutally candid and matter of fact reply.

“No.”

« Reply #542 on: February 06, 2021, 11:52:41 AM »
Any CM fans missing Here Comes Quizm may be interested to learn that the latest instalment of my own Saturday night pop quiz* is tomorrow at 7:30pm.

Come and join the 'fun'!

*endorsed with a book with a foreword by Paul Gambaccini

« Reply #543 on: February 06, 2021, 07:44:43 PM »
(new page chirpy chirpy cheep cheep by the jay boys)

david stubbs mentioned a reggae version of slade's cum on feel the noize on that last ep - al got as excited as i did at the prospect of it -i've tried googling, no luck, it's not on the video playlist - anyone know what he was talking about or was it misremembered bollocks?

There is a reggae cover of 'Mama We're All Crazee Now' by Denzil Dennis, maybe it was that?

dr beat

• #TeamColourfield
« Reply #544 on: February 07, 2021, 11:57:10 PM »
Watching BBC coverage of the Super Bowl.  They have something called the 'Romo Report'.

famethrowa

• mere rhetorical frippery
« Reply #545 on: February 08, 2021, 01:44:37 AM »
Watching BBC coverage of the Super Bowl.  They have something called the 'Romo Report'.

So they're just playing a random Pricey episode? ehehehe

« Reply #546 on: February 08, 2021, 03:29:20 AM »

« Reply #547 on: February 10, 2021, 05:59:40 PM »
All quiet on the CM front - is this the longest gap between episodes yet?  Hope all is well at Al Towers.

Keep refreshing the Twitter to see if Bates is flying past on his broomstick to no avail.  Maybe this post will tempt fate...

shiftwork2

• pies this is your time
« Reply #548 on: February 10, 2021, 07:15:33 PM »
I think January is usually a fallow month as December contains two.  I was re-listening to the Christmas epic until a couple of weeks ago so it doesn't seem long since we heard from them.

« Reply #549 on: February 10, 2021, 09:10:32 PM »
Both Al and Pricey have alluded to it coming soon when asked on Twitter, so I would expect the next one to come in a week or two's time

« Reply #550 on: February 13, 2021, 06:03:43 PM »
Al says next week and it's an episode from "The Golden Age" - should be interesting

« Reply #551 on: February 14, 2021, 11:32:59 PM »
Al says next week and it's an episode from "The Golden Age" - should be interesting

79-81
Bring it

non capisco

• Don't wanna hear those vile trumpets anymore
« Reply #552 on: February 14, 2021, 11:53:49 PM »
Al's linked to the Legs & Co routine to 'Hooked On Classics' on Facebook today so I'm gonna guess that episode from July '81. Which would possibly mean a coatdown for Bill Wyman's 'Si Si, Je Suis Un Rock Star'.

bigfatheart

• Breakdancing Detergent
« Reply #553 on: February 15, 2021, 10:25:37 AM »
Also hosted by Steve Wright in the afternoon, one of the hosts they've not covered much, comparative to how often they hosted.

Worth noting that episode also has Depeche Mode and Comrade Shakey, both of whom they've covered a fair few times. Not that I'm complaining with the latter, I don't think the well will ever run dry with him.

« Reply #554 on: February 15, 2021, 04:54:50 PM »
Al's linked to the Legs & Co routine to 'Hooked On Classics' on Facebook today so I'm gonna guess that episode from July '81. Which would possibly mean a coatdown for Bill Wyman's 'Si Si, Je Suis Un Rock Star'.
This may be the reason why they posted that.
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/louis-clark-elo-dies/

shiftwork2

• pies this is your time
« Reply #555 on: February 15, 2021, 05:52:26 PM »
July '81. Which would possibly mean a coatdown for Bill Wyman's 'Si Si, Je Suis Un Rock Star'.

I don't have the episode list to hand but that beaster was high in the charts in a recent-ish episode and I was gutted it didn't feature.

« Reply #556 on: February 15, 2021, 07:35:50 PM »
Pretty sure that was the episode which Neil chose with Rolling Stones, Soft Cell, Cliff etc on it. Looking at the running order of that episode it's nearly all acts that they've done at least a few times before, including in the previous 81 editions covered, so not as sure about that one

I think Al also referred to the Eighventies era as the "silver age" in one of the other shows, so I was kind of assuming we'd be getting one of the few viable early TOTPs that are available - either are fine though.

non capisco

« Reply #557 on: February 15, 2021, 08:05:52 PM »
Ah yes, makes sense. Should be early to mid 70s then, don't think we've had one of those in quite a while.

Brundle-Fly

• "Why don't you do something to help me?"
« Reply #558 on: February 15, 2021, 08:57:36 PM »

Coatdown Bill's agenda but not the record. I bloody love it!

shiftwork2

• pies this is your time
« Reply #559 on: February 15, 2021, 09:10:23 PM »
That's it.  There was an allusion to Bill at the start but TOTP had gone with the Start Me Up video instead of Bill and his fingers that were possibly illegally sticky.

The last great Stones single so who can question that judgment.  The video is brilliant and fascinating by the way, but I've tried to work out what's so off about it (lighting, perspective, the direction that allows Wood and Richards to loom in and dominate the shot out of nowhere?) with no satisfactory answer.

« Reply #560 on: February 15, 2021, 10:48:03 PM »
The TOTP performance of Je Suis un Rock Star itself is odd - they must've recorded two separate takes, as in some shots Wyman's brandishing a guitar but others have him hunched over at a Moog with completely different lighting. Can't think of any other times they cut two performances together?

It also looks like it was shown a second time on the 13/08/81 show, where Simon Bates is later accidentally recorded getting down to Shaky on the studio projector screen as if he's some sort of Big Brother dictator figure (see below gif). God knows what would be made of that on CMP

non capisco

« Reply #561 on: February 16, 2021, 12:35:07 AM »
^ I've always wanted them to cover that, it's one of my favourite TOTP moments. Laughed like a drain when I first saw it on the repeats. He's up on the screen clapping and looking like a dick for what seems like ages.

non capisco

« Reply #562 on: February 16, 2021, 12:39:34 AM »
The TOTP performance of Je Suis un Rock Star itself is odd - they must've recorded two separate takes, as in some shots Wyman's brandishing a guitar but others have him hunched over at a Moog with completely different lighting. Can't think of any other times they cut two performances together?

They did it a few times in the 70s I think. Hot Chocolate doing 'No Doubt About It', a completely sincere top 10 hit about the band encountering what they believed to be a UFO, is made up of two different takes where the audience keep disappearing and reappearing. There's definitely a Showaddywaddy one where they change costumes in-performance as well.

« Reply #563 on: February 16, 2021, 11:19:19 AM »
That's it.  There was an allusion to Bill at the start but TOTP had gone with the Start Me Up video instead of Bill and his fingers that were possibly illegally sticky.

The last great Stones single so who can question that judgment.  The video is brilliant and fascinating by the way, but I've tried to work out what's so off about it (lighting, perspective, the direction that allows Wood and Richards to loom in and dominate the shot out of nowhere?) with no satisfactory answer.

And of course the St Sanders "shreds" version is legendary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61RtfAqxCbg

dr beat

• #TeamColourfield
« Reply #564 on: February 16, 2021, 11:30:14 AM »

That song is something of a blind spot for me.  Sounds like Joe Cornish doing Songwars.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

• a hopeless vanity... a stupefyingly futile conceit
« Reply #565 on: February 16, 2021, 11:51:26 AM »
I dig the fat, squelchy Moog bassline, but yeah, it sounds exactly like what it is: a tossed-off trifle from the most boring member of The Rolling Stones.

batwings

• Timewaster seeks same. No timewasters please.
« Reply #566 on: February 19, 2021, 04:25:24 PM »
New ep up on Patreon:

Chart Music #57: October 11th 1973 – A Balloon Full Of Gravy

« Reply #567 on: February 19, 2021, 05:15:41 PM »
That's 5 hours of tomorrow sorted!

dr beat

• #TeamColourfield
« Reply #568 on: February 19, 2021, 05:19:09 PM »
Ooh this sounds good.

Cool, Simon and Neil - don't think we've had that combo for a while have we?

Rizla

• That's not another knife - THIS is another knife!
« Reply #569 on: February 19, 2021, 05:23:19 PM »
Sweet! Have they done a cuddly Ken-fronted ep before? I can't remember.

Tags: