Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 07:37:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast 2 (Man Sound) - ITS PIPOU TIME!

Started by dr beat, August 11, 2020, 09:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr beat

QuoteSweet! Have they done a cuddly Ken-fronted ep before? I can't remember.

Yes they have - similar era, think it was Stubbs and Price who covered it.

Edit: Bummer!(Dog) New page.

bigfatheart

Yeah, episode #25. I remember Al making a point of saying 'it's not the one where he's dressed as a country bumpkin' or something on that one.

40 minutes in, it's more Chart Music goodness. Felt like punching the air at Neil's off-handed gripe about the sort of people who say 'cockwomble'.

edon

Chart Music #25: June 22nd 1973 – Peppa Pig Versus The IRA Pub Bombers was one Everett hosted I think. Looking forward to hearing their take on him this time though, as well as the rest of the discussion

justin_bennett

Spoiler alert
Neil had a late night radio show shocker!
[close]

bigfatheart

CaBbers (and anyone of a sound mind) will also love Pricey's dig at
Spoiler alert
Glinner et al
[close]

Rizla

Guess he's not much of a c&w head but I'm still surprised Pricey didn't know who "Nudie" was. My teeth were itching when they didnt go further into the Sparks drummer small ad-I'm assuming that ended up being the ill-fated Dinkie Diamond.

bigfatheart

Having finished it now, that was a great episode.
Spoiler alert
Jesus Price
[close]
surely nailed on for the next Chart Music number one?

At the risk of being That Cunt™ though, I have to correct Neil's assertion that Guy Darrell was a run of the mill singer-songwriter, if only because I was reading up on him the other day and it's the sort of weird story that Chart Music thrives on. In the 60s he was a journeyman singer on the cabaret circuit who'd recorded a few singles without any success, before deciding to jack that in and join a prog band. However, one of his old songs took off on the northern soul scene, got re-released and became a minor hit, so he appeared on Top of the Pops to perform it, looking more like Lemmy's stunt double than the clean-cut crooner he'd been when he cut the actual track. Sadly, the episode only partially exists, so I doubt it'll be showing up on Chart Music anytime soon, but it's an amusing incongruous clip.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: bigfatheart on February 19, 2021, 06:37:17 PM
CaBbers (and anyone of a sound mind) will also love Pricey's dig at
Spoiler alert
Glinner et al
[close]

That was great. I loved the bit afterwards where they talked about falling down rabbit holes reading old music papers. I might take his advice and pick up some back issues from that era. I have some of my brother's NMEs and Sounds from  the eighventies (he moved onto Kerrang! when that came out, but sadly cut every issue to ribbons filling every inch of his bedroom wall with terrifying imagery - the worst for infant me being some NWOBHM compilation sleeve where a fellas head was getting crushed by blaring speakers), but I haven't seen anything from earlier than that. It'd be worth it just for the ads. When I look back at old mags I bought in the 90s (or see old copies of Smash Hits my sister bought again courtesy of daf's TOTP posts), ads I probably flicked past without paying any attention are the things that fascinate me most.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Another CMP drinking game: down a shot whenever Pricey mentions Alan Partridge, Chris Morris, Limmy or any other CaB comedy favourite. Such a lovely moment in the latest episode when he referenced
Spoiler alert
the Millport sketch. You can never go back.
[close]

bigfatheart

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on February 20, 2021, 01:02:43 PM
That was great. I loved the bit afterwards where they talked about falling down rabbit holes reading old music papers. I might take his advice and pick up some back issues from that era. I have some of my brother's NMEs and Sounds from  the eighventies (he moved onto Kerrang! when that came out, but sadly cut every issue to ribbons filling every inch of his bedroom wall with terrifying imagery - the worst for infant me being some NWOBHM compilation sleeve where a fellas head was getting crushed by blaring speakers), but I haven't seen anything from earlier than that. It'd be worth it just for the ads. When I look back at old mags I bought in the 90s (or see old copies of Smash Hits my sister bought again courtesy of daf's TOTP posts), ads I probably flicked past without paying any attention are the things that fascinate me most.

Someone I know's been uploading old copies of Kerrang to a Google Drive, he's up to 1997 so far - it's a fascinating wormhole to fall down. Having just pulled up a random issue, there's a reference to 'the ever fleshy Tina Turn-On', aptly enough considering the
Spoiler alert
Nutbush City Limits
[close]
discussion on the latest ep.

non capisco

Another fantastic episode. The whole Ed Case thing in the preamble section and Al's description of the love song sent in by the wank mag reader rivals the original Bollockdog/Bummerdog stories for CMP belly laughs. Lovely to hear the biggest ever list of Patreon donors as well. Shout out to boki!

Also Al's impassioned rendition has reminded me just what an absolute heater 'Whatcha See Is Watcha Get' by The Dramatics is.

Rizla

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on February 20, 2021, 01:02:43 PM
falling down rabbit holes reading old music papers

One of my favourite wastes of time when I was a teenager in the early 90s was going to the big central library's reference hall and requesting all the NMEs and MM's from the eighventies in their massive binders, captivated as I was with all kinds of new wave/punk/2tone stuff, and sitting there at the big table going through the letters pages and reviews. I was particularly obsessed with LA pop-punk jokers The Dickies at the time, and I found the lead singer's petty and resentful campaign of correspondence against the rock snob critics of the NME (who wrote the band off as fluff for kids, yet clearly took great pleasure in printing his absurdly self-regarding diatribes in full) utterly absorbing.

batwings

Still working my way through the ep and loving it so far. Not sure why, but that young girl's poem, Brown Is All Around, had me crying with laughter. Must be Al's delivery.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Rizla on February 20, 2021, 09:46:19 PM
One of my favourite wastes of time when I was a teenager in the early 90s was going to the big central library's reference hall and requesting all the NMEs and MM's from the eighventies in their massive binders, captivated as I was with all kinds of new wave/punk/2tone stuff, and sitting there at the big table going through the letters pages and reviews. I was particularly obsessed with LA pop-punk jokers The Dickies at the time, and I found the lead singer's petty and resentful campaign of correspondence against the rock snob critics of the NME (who wrote the band off as fluff for kids, yet clearly took great pleasure in printing his absurdly self-regarding diatribes in full) utterly absorbing.

It's the written equivalent of watching old episodes of 70s TV shows and spending more time on the exterior location shots than watching the actors.

Rizla

Quote from: jamiefairlie on February 21, 2021, 05:02:15 PM
It's the written equivalent of watching old episodes of 70s TV shows and spending more time on the exterior location shots than watching the actors.
Ha! I started watching the 1976 second-division british sex-romp "Adventures Of A Taxi Driver" on Amazon Prime recently and spent an absurd amount of time on the pause button - not on Judy Geeson's bits, but on the credits sequence as Barry Evans drives past a Woolworths, trying to clock all the consumer electronics and musical equipment in the window.

Epic Bisto

Quote from: bigfatheart on February 20, 2021, 11:57:21 AM
Having finished it now, that was a great episode.
Spoiler alert
Jesus Price
[close]
surely nailed on for the next Chart Music number one?

Between that,
Spoiler alert
THE SWEET ARE SOFT CUNTS WHO AREN'T FUCKING REAL
[close]
and
Spoiler alert
Al's letter to 1973 Daily Mirror from the future
[close]
I was in fits of hysterics.  Another top episode, lads.

Epic Bisto

Quote from: non capisco on February 20, 2021, 09:31:57 PM
Another fantastic episode. The whole Ed Case thing in the preamble section and Al's description of the love song sent in by the wank mag reader rivals the original Bollockdog/Bummerdog stories for CMP belly laughs.
I would buy a 'East End Tune'/'Tender Heart' 7"

edon

One can only imagine what
Spoiler alert
Jesus Price
[close]
would actually sound like - I'm thinking a Pricey-type goth band except creepily religious (and not just part of their image) like Cliff.
Spoiler alert
In a Bat Cave in Borneo
[close]
, surely another contender for the Top 10 next time, would probably be similar too.

non capisco

MOI NAME'S GRANT MITCHELL
SHARON'S ME LOVAHHHHHH!

shiftwork2

Really terrific episode about my favourite TOTP era, and I'm looking forward to the video playlist.  But I can't have been the only one whose heart sank at both Neil's ongoing axe-grind towards his former boss and Simon's account of tweeting his opinion as to why Oasis were shit (covered elsewhere in Oscillations)?  Thankfully both were put to bed in the first 20 mins.

Needed Taylor to point out Van Der Valk went through several iterations including a Euston Films incarnation, which had all of the grit.  But I suppose that wasn't the 1973 version.

Quote from: non capisco on February 21, 2021, 11:04:50 PM
MOI NAME'S GRANT MITCHELL
SHARON'S ME LOVAHHHHHH!

No wonder Pricey has never forgotten it - an earworm for the ages.

Quote from: shiftwork2 on February 21, 2021, 11:57:15 PM
Really terrific episode about my favourite TOTP era, and I'm looking forward to the video playlist.  But I can't have been the only one whose heart sank at both Neil's ongoing axe-grind towards his former boss and Simon's account of tweeting his opinion as to why Oasis were shit (covered elsewhere in Oscillations)?  Thankfully both were put to bed in the first 20 mins.

I can't get enough of them slagging off Cunterland (he really was/is as egregious as they say), and I liked hearing Pricey's account of The Oasis Incident. He was definitely trolling, he admitted as much, but you can tell that he was slightly shaken and perturbed by the whole thing. Being constantly harangued with angry tweets from Oasis fans can't be much fun.

I suppose you could argue that he only has himself to blame, but the response was disproportionate. He* was trending on Twitter for 24 hours, FFS. Lunacy.

* Well #Oasis were, but it was all based on the stuff he wrote.

non capisco

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 22, 2021, 12:20:29 PM
No wonder Pricey has never forgotten it - an earworm for the ages.

Haven't been able to get it out of my head all weekend!

MOI NAME'S RICHARD.........TRICKY DICKYYYYYYYYYYY!

That fact that TRICKY DICKY was one of the shittest 'stenders villains makes it even funnier. He was no Dirty Den or Wilmott-Brown.

What does the title "A Balloon Full Of Gravy" refer to?

Is the section that BBC4 cut out available online? ("lad off Opportunity Knocks who isn't Neil Reid")

Chriddof

I'd like to see the cut section as well, because the edited BBC4 one seems to edit out a chunk of that fascinatingly odd semi-video for Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. It ends at the clock going backwards and Al described more stuff happening after that, unless I've got confused.

non capisco

Quote from: Chriddof on February 23, 2021, 12:06:05 AM
I'd like to see the cut section as well, because the edited BBC4 one seems to edit out a chunk of that fascinatingly odd semi-video for Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. It ends at the clock going backwards and Al described more stuff happening after that, unless I've got confused.

I think the version of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road on the BBC4 edit is the whole thing. That clock's in it twice, as they speculate Elton John probably fucked off early to dive into a bowl of gak and they had to do some padding.

sweeper

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 22, 2021, 12:31:57 PM
I can't get enough of them slagging off Cunterland (he really was/is as egregious as they say), and I liked hearing Pricey's account of The Oasis Incident. He was definitely trolling, he admitted as much, but you can tell that he was slightly shaken and perturbed by the whole thing. Being constantly harangued with angry tweets from Oasis fans can't be much fun.

I suppose you could argue that he only has himself to blame, but the response was disproportionate. He* was trending on Twitter for 24 hours, FFS. Lunacy.

* Well #Oasis were, but it was all based on the stuff he wrote.

It also demonstrated something, I think, about how certain aspects of culture are starting to coalesce - online bullying, Brexityness, 'anti-woke', anti-lockdown and Oasis are being shuffled into the same manilla folder.

I find this enormously heartening. In the near future, Oasis will become widely accepted shorthand for the worst aspects of life.