Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:59:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast 2 (Man Sound) - ITS PIPOU TIME!

Started by dr beat, August 11, 2020, 09:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveDave

Quote from: sweeper on February 23, 2021, 10:43:38 AM
It also demonstrated something, I think, about how certain aspects of culture are starting to coalesce - online bullying, Brexityness, 'anti-woke', anti-lockdown and Oasis are being shuffled into the same manilla folder.

I find this enormously heartening. In the near future, Oasis will become widely accepted shorthand for the worst aspects of life.     

It's just another form of racism.

Like from Brasseye. Member? Member? MEMBER!? I fucking hate Simon Price.

Crabwalk

sweeper

Quote from: SteveDave on February 24, 2021, 01:16:42 PM
It's just another form of racism.

Like from Brasseye. Member? Member? MEMBER!? I fucking hate Simon Price.

I have no idea what this means.

Often, on this forum, I read posts like this and feel like I'm slipping into early onset dementia.

And on a related note, I've been thinking about this 'no fast songs' thing, and have come to the conclusion that the pace of their music carries the same sensation as being drunk on beer. Oasis sound like what it feels like to be pissed. The world's only synesthesic band. I think this has lot to do with their success, and continued adoration from a certain kind of beery male.   

SteveDave

Quote from: sweeper on February 25, 2021, 02:21:57 PM
I have no idea what this means.

It means I hate Simon Price and I can't listen to any Chart Music podcast with him on. 

DrGreggles

Not sure how many delve into the YouTube playlists, but they're full of gold.
The latest one includes that OGWT Reggae special from the 1973 Edinburgh Festival, which is fantastic.
https://youtu.be/1gtiqhTL7JM

Nicky Thomas - wow. Many thanks for posting that.

Dusty Substance

Wasn't massively keen on the latest episode. Didn't hate it, but it lacked a certain something that almost all of the previous episodes have had.

It might be that as we're over the 50 episode mark, it's inevitable that some episodes are going to cover familiar ground - A seventh appearance for Slade, fifth for E.L.O, third for Elton John and second for David Cassidy, Quo and Simon Park Orchestra.

I'm also going off Simon Price quite a bit. As much as I admire his passion and enthusiasm, it can sometimes get a bit too much. Did I imagine it, or did he talk a lot more than Neil in this latest episode?

Surprised that they laid into Eye Level so much. Sure, it's not representative of the soul, funk and glam of 1973 but it's not a horrible tune - I bet Taylor would've been more positive about it.

EDIT: Having said that, it was nice to hear Pricey laying into Graham Linehan.

edon

I thought we got a fair bit of Kulkarni, but to be fair he was the youngest out of all of the contributors in 1973 so didn't have much to say in the way of anecdotes, brief memories from the time, etc

Interesting to see how well they're doing in the Apple podcast charts though - #5 out of all of them in the UK is really quite something for something backed by people who aren't a part of the mainstream media in any way.

Simon Price is spending too much time talking about himself rather than the music, I would say. Al needs to cut a lot of it out in the edit because it gets tedious. I don't think he's necessarily arrogant but if you ask him to talk about himself, he'll go on and on. I don't give a fuck about his Twitter wars over Oasis. Indeed, if the podcast has a fault, it's becoming too much about the biographies and current activities of the contributors. The music press reading is also probably rather too long. It's a podcast about TOTP not MM and NME.

bigfatheart

Personally I like the music press reading - it adds a lot of historical context to the episodes, and I like hearing how certain artists, songs, etc were viewed differently at the time to how they are today, now that a critical consensus has formed.
The stuff about their current activities I can take or leave, but it's not exactly like the contributors are crowbarring it in - Al starts off by asking them what they've been up to, presumably to warm them up. It's probably a bit more repetitive than usual at the moment because, well, there's a lot less variety as to what people are getting up to.

Seedsy

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on March 01, 2021, 11:15:46 AM
Simon Price is spending too much time talking about himself rather than the music, I would say. Al needs to cut a lot of it out in the edit because it gets tedious. I don't think he's necessarily arrogant but if you ask him to talk about himself, he'll go on and on. I don't give a fuck about his Twitter wars over Oasis. Indeed, if the podcast has a fault, it's becoming too much about the biographies and current activities of the contributors. The music press reading is also probably rather too long. It's a podcast about TOTP not MM and NME.

I agree with this actually
The last two epsides pricey have been on, have been very bitter. The 1988 one with Sarah Bee was fucking rubbish

Simon, I think is getting away from what this podcast was originally all about, a bunch of mates slagging off a random episode of totp. He gets quite bitter.

Saying all that, I thought he wasn't on bad form at all this episode. Despite the fact I t take it a bit personally the kicking both he and Neil give oasis.

phantom_power

I could listen to any of them talking about music related stuff all day, regardless of whether I agree with them or not. That said, I got quite annoyed at Price's bizarre dissing of Nutbush City Limits because he has never been to Nutbush. Apart from the fact that you can like a song without liking the lyrics, or even knowing them, surely Nutbush is just a placeholder for any shitty town you grew up in and never want to go back to. The specificity helps make it universal. I would have thought Price would be aware of that

I like early Oasis but Oasis fans are the fucking worst

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: phantom_power on March 02, 2021, 10:28:56 AM
I could listen to any of them talking about music related stuff all day, regardless of whether I agree with them or not. That said, I got quite annoyed at Price's bizarre dissing of Nutbush City Limits because he has never been to Nutbush. Apart from the fact that you can like a song without liking the lyrics, or even knowing them, surely Nutbush is just a placeholder for any shitty town you grew up in and never want to go back to. The specificity helps make it universal. I would have thought Price would be aware of that

Yeah, that whole section was complete bollocks for the incredibly obvious reason you stated (bolded above). I thought some of his observations on Kenny Everett's presenting style in the intro to the Michael Ward performance skated perilously close to homophobia too, but thankfully Al stepped in before things got too contentious.

edon

Out of all of the CMP contributors Pricey's undoubtedly the most well-known, and even though he does have some level of self-awareness of his more ridiculous moments like some of Romo, the Twitter checkmark and 20k followers must've gone to his head a bit in recent years. Hopefully after causing the unpleasant shitstorm of Brexity Oasis fans and bots he has the sense to just go work on that Cure book of his for a while.

Neomod

I enjoyed the latest episode. I think the music press round up gives context for listeners who maybe weren't around at the time of the episode as does the contributors own relevant experiences. Not fussed with the Pricey haters.

Only thing I missed was Taylor (probably) using David Cassidy to go down the rabbit hole of the Partridge Family and The Cowsills. I'd love to have heard his take on them and the documentary he would have inevitably found late at night.

phantom_power

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on March 02, 2021, 10:44:40 AM
Yeah, that whole section was complete bollocks for the incredibly obvious reason you stated (bolded above). I thought some of his observations on Kenny Everett's presenting style in the intro to the Michael Ward performance skated perilously close to homophobia too, but thankfully Al stepped in before things got too contentious.

I think Price would be the last person to be homophobic. I think it was more that it was seen now through the prism of Saville, Yewtree etc

They're right about how bad a fit Everett's style was for TOTP. Toe curling awful stuff.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: phantom_power on March 02, 2021, 11:45:50 AM
I think Price would be the last person to be homophobic. I think it was more that it was seen now through the prism of Saville, Yewtree etc

I agree Price is no homophobe, but I was glad for Al's intervention.

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on March 02, 2021, 11:48:44 AM
They're right about how bad a fit Everett's style was for TOTP. Toe curling awful stuff.

Agreed. We watched this episode on YouTube a couple of months back and couldn't bear revisiting it, so just watched some highlights from the playlist. The interview he did with the two kids on the same day was pretty excruciating too.

Pete23

I was a bit taken aback at how serious they got that Kenny Everret wasn't paying TOTP enough respect (or however they worded it). I get that his style didn't fit, but do any of the DJ's actually pay it any respect? Seems to me that actually putting some effort in the links, even though they may not be funny and feel like they are from a different show, is much more than the usual suspects do when they continually get bands and song names wrong and look like they'd rather be anywhere else. I totally get that one of the appeals of the podcast is that they take TOTP seriously, but that bit seemed a bit over earnest to me - just say he was crap and drop the "how dare he sully the good name of all those that came before" bollox.

Pauline Walnuts

I kinda gave up on this when the shows started to vacuolate and the running times went over 4 hours, also I was getting bored of them covering the same ground, oh, Eighventies again.

Tried that last one, I only got as far as the 'Ooh the Daily Mail' bit, I know it was the Mirror fluff piece or something, but it just seemed to take about 3 hours to even get to talking about Top of the Pops.

But then I never used to hang out with Marilyn Mason, so what would I know, Neil?

dr beat

Campbell Soupe

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on March 02, 2021, 05:34:28 PM
But then I never used to hang out with Marilyn Mason, so what would I know, Neil?

#kulkarnikancelled ?

justin_bennett

I am happy to listen to the chat about themselves, in pre-Covid times it would have been what they have been up to that is pop and interesting (ie gigs etc) - now translates to whatever social media pish has been trending which is fine by me, even if it feels a bit old by the time it comes out.  Al certainly seems to have got a bounce off it in terms of dollar-in-the-g-string so fair fucks to 'em.

Still the best podcast out there as far as I'm concerned.

dr beat

While I'm as fed up as anyone about the current situation, I think they've dealt with talking about lockdown pretty well, and its made them more relatable if anything.  It sounds like Simon in particular seems to have taken a bad hit with the situation. 

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on March 02, 2021, 10:44:40 AM

It was extraordinary that Price assumed everyone knew in 1973 that Everett was gay. It wasn't even common knowledge in 1983. Everett was engaging in double entendre much like any Carry On film would have done at the time but was going over the line by doing it with a kid, but nobody would have seen it as paedo behaviour (nor should they) but as exploiting for comic effect the fact that the kid and most kids in the audience would not get the sexual references whereas the adults would. Everett did similar stuff on his subsequent Thames series (interspersed with incredibly erotic dance routines by Hot Gossip) but not using a child as a prop.

His sexual harassment of the young females may have been an attempt to parody ironically the leering that was done non-ironically by other presenters; but clearly the girls would have felt it was harassment so so should we in hindsight. There's an unsettling lack of empathy in the willingness of Everett to use young people as unwitting props, but that was common to almost all hosts in the 70s and 80s, albeit with adults: look at the Generation Game, Noel's House Party, etc.

I think Everett got away with stuff because the clown/Mr. Claypole figure he resembles here is traditionally non-sexual and given a license to say the unsayable, which puts him outside the bounds of sexual threat. Savile, DLT, Stuart Hall and Rolf Harris all exploited that license with predatory and criminal results but there's no evidence of Everett doing so or implying he wanted to do so.

phantom_power

Quote from: dr beat on March 03, 2021, 10:59:21 AM
While I'm as fed up as anyone about the current situation, I think they've dealt with talking about lockdown pretty well, and its made them more relatable if anything.  It sounds like Simon in particular seems to have taken a bad hit with the situation. 

Until he got that sweet, sweet Cure book dollar.

It is always a thrill to hear your name mentioned on a podcast you like, sad though that is*

*Yes, I am Neil Reid

To be fair to him, the deadline for that book seems to be intensely stress-inducing. OTOH if you're trying to hit a deadline, why are you messing with Twitter trolls? Wouldn't that be the first activity you'd ditch?

Simon can sometimes be warmly and endearingly self-aware and open, as when talking about his childhood, but, when challenged on his own turf, he becomes "so how many boooks have you had published, then?" He's a bit of a Maconie in that respect: he wants you treat him as an expert in the field rather than a fellow fan whose opinions can be shit and ill-informed. Hence he'll get very defensive if you point out a gaffe.

buzby

Quote from: buzby on April 14, 2018, 09:46:00 PM
On a related note, the way they were talking about Kenny Everett does make me apprehensive that he's in for a mauling in a future show, possibly one of shows from 1973 during his brief stint as a presenter.
Quote from: buzby on April 16, 2018, 09:16:16 PM
Quote from: non capisco on April 16, 2018, 08:39:26 PM
Is it going to be the episode where Everett is dressed in a sort of bumpkin/yokel costume and blacks more of his teeth out incrementally throughout the show?
This one? Most probably, as it's the only one of his 6 1973 shows that still exists, and it's marvellous. The unedited studio rushes version that was shown on BBC4's Kenny Everett night was even better. Here's the "Meet Kenny Everett' segment that accompanies that episode, with him giving a tour of the studio and answering some children's questions, There's some telling comments from Ev in his answers that highlight why he didn't do more episodes.

Called it 3 years ago.

As mentioned upthread, in 1973 Everett was still firmly in the closet and married to Lee. He only started coming to terms with his sexuality when they divorced in 1979, and only publically came out after Lee's autobigraphy was published in 1987 where she outed him (something he never forgave her for, and they never spoke again after that).

I wish Simon would keep his window shut so we didn't have to listen to Brighton's seagull population in the background.

badaids

This episode did feel a little tiresome, but inevitable with a year of lockdown and fuck all to do.

I think we all knew that the format would tire a bit at some point, and until they can do the live episode  I think it's the right moment to do an episode of The Tube or Revolver of or OGWT, which they've already talked about a fair bit.

Oh, and Taylor has already covered Eye Level and Simon Park. As I recall he hated it and the bbc orchestra in their mustard yellow roll necks. I think they are all wrong - I love Eye Level mainly because it reminds me of that Oranjeboom beer advert in the 80s and the sort oh homage that Gorky's did on their album Bwyd Time.