Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,187
  • Total Topics: 106,349
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:45:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast 2 (Man Sound) - ITS PIPOU TIME!

Started by dr beat, August 11, 2020, 09:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr beat

QuoteYes, I find the over analysis of the presenters' links a bit wearing and this has been going on since 2011 on blogs and so forth

These were links that were given no thought and weren't designed to be analysed 40-50 years later, it just doesn't fit.

Perhaps its the nature of my line of work (interactional sociology), but I find that all quite fascinating, like analyzing an actor's delivery of lines or something.

edon

Overanalysing the presenters is what has sometimes creates the best moments of the podcast though - Taylor's description of Noel Edmonds' hair, the examination of DLT's ego, Simon Bates' High-Flying Cats, etc, and they still haven't had a go at Nicky Campbell or some of the more outlandish choices of the mid 90s guest presenter era either. I'm all for that continuing as long as there's something to be said, which there usually is.

Camp Tramp

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on March 04, 2021, 02:10:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7_SKjAe3oc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6-zrh66XjQ

Preston was dire in that second episode. He also said that Corinne Bailey Rae was too happy and he wanted something to wipe the smile off her face.

...and the monkey paw curls...

DrGreggles

Anyone missing Here Comes Quizm may be interested to learn that the glorious return of Saturday Night Pop Quiz LIVE is tonight.
Or may not...

The Nicky Campbell episode just shown on BBC4 would easily justify five hours of CM.

Seedsy

Went down a rabbit hole after watching those 2006 episodes posted here.
Now I am not giving any merit to any of the music on display from those episodes or the ones I watched.

But I think the chart music gang are missing a trick.
At the very least it's a varied selection. Just watched a performance from electric 6 doing high voltage. Very entertaining. Richard bacon presenting. Again, loads of ammo for the gang.
They should maybe step out of their comfort zone.

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on March 03, 2021, 11:50:37 PM
I think Pricey's great, not really sure why he seems to be disliked by a few on here.

His writing in Melody Maker often had quite a bullying style. I think he was actually going for a Chris Morris-ish bite, but often it seemed to fall the wrong side into spite. This sort of thing (below), where he's having a go at the band but in ways that for me are problematic - the band get a lot of joyful stick, but in the process so do the non-neurotypical, people who write about music but don't get paid for it, and women who want to choose the way they express their sexuality.

http://sarahrecords.org.uk/le-jardin-de-heavenly/

phantom_power

He does that thing of judging them on terms that are not what the band are operating from as well. Why criticise a Sarah Records band for not rocking out? That isn't the purpose they serve. Not everything has to rock and I am sure there are examples that Price likes that don't. It is that music critic thing of having a visceral reaction to something and then trying to justify it intellectually or from some sort of ideological standpoint. Why even review something you were never going to like anyway? (I know the answer to this, obv)

dr beat

QuoteHis writing in Melody Maker often had quite a bullying style.

You really don't want to read what Neil had to say about Neds Atomic Dustbin ;)

Team Pricey here.  Team all of them in fact.

dr beat

Quote from: phantom_power on March 18, 2021, 10:35:08 AM
He does that thing of judging them on terms that are not what the band are operating from as well. Why criticise a Sarah Records band for not rocking out? That isn't the purpose they serve. Not everything has to rock and I am sure there are examples that Price likes that don't. It is that music critic thing of having a visceral reaction to something and then trying to justify it intellectually or from some sort of ideological standpoint. Why even review something you were never going to like anyway? (I know the answer to this, obv)

I was an avid MM reader around 94-97 and I found Price, Parkes and Kulkarni infuriating and entertaining in equal measure.  They often slagged off things I liked and it made me think very deeply about what I liked and why I did.  And I owe them for that.

Or its like what Sarah said in one episode about people like Steven Wells.  You saw a writer's byline and you knew what to expect, and you used their reaction as a measure for what your own preferences might be. 

Much like CaB in some ways.

Quote from: dr beat on March 18, 2021, 10:56:46 AM
I was an avid MM reader around 94-97 and I found Price, Parkes and Kulkarni infuriating and entertaining in equal measure.  They often slagged off things I liked and it made me think very deeply about what I liked and why I did.  And I owe them for that.

Or its like what Sarah said in one episode about people like Steven Wells.  You saw a writer's byline and you knew what to expect, and you used their reaction as a measure for what your own preferences might be. 

Much like CaB in some ways.

Oh yeah, agree totally with all of that. Just ideally without pops at the autistic...

sweeper

Is it entirely fair to criticise this kind of thing at a distance of 30 years, using today's measures?

I agree it looks pretty grim now, but something this old probably should. In terms of humour of the time, this would be considered fairly mild.

Everyone bullied everyone in the 90s, if they were capable of it. It was horrendous. I think that's partly why Sarah bands etc. tended to avoid the press. I remember finding out about such music from means other than the papers. I remember that Belle and Sebastian completely ignored the whole thing, much to anger of the press, which was of course hilarious.

Anyway, being a cock and sort of owning it and being proud of it was kind of the flavour of 90s music journalism. For what it's worth, when Neil or someone pats themselves on the back for the Neds review they wrote back in the day, in find myself cringing. If I'd had writing that shit published I'd want it buried at sea.

dr beat

From what they say quality control didn't really exist at the MM, but then again that allowed the honesty of their opinions to come through warts and all, in contrast to what seems to be a too close and very controlled relationship between artists and writers these days.  Neil sounded like he couldn't believe he'd gotten away with it. 

Quote from: sweeper on March 18, 2021, 04:26:59 PM
Is it entirely fair to criticise this kind of thing at a distance of 30 years, using today's measures?

I agree it looks pretty grim now, but something this old probably should. In terms of humour of the time, this would be considered fairly mild.

Everyone bullied everyone in the 90s, if they were capable of it. It was horrendous. I think that's partly why Sarah bands etc. tended to avoid the press. I remember finding out about such music from means other than the papers. I remember that Belle and Sebastian completely ignored the whole thing, much to anger of the press, which was of course hilarious.

Anyway, being a cock and sort of owning it and being proud of it was kind of the flavour of 90s music journalism. For what it's worth, when Neil or someone pats themselves on the back for the Neds review they wrote back in the day, in find myself cringing. If I'd had writing that shit published I'd want it buried at sea.

Yeah, I think your last point relates to the first - I'd be happier about cutting them some slack for that sort of thing if they weren't so proud of it all! It is a fun podcast tho.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Last night I listened again to episode #36, towards the end of which Taylor mentions Wikipedia's hypnotically dry and detailed synopses of every single Terry and June episode.

"Sometimes when it's really cold in my flat, I read through it all while listening to a recording of a distant church bell tolling."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Terry_and_June_episodes

That episode was also recorded around the time when Taylor's toilet exploded. I hope his life isn't actually as miserable as it sounds, he's presumably exaggerating for comic effect, but I can relate to his very funny descriptions of a lonely, despondent middle-aged man pointlessly watching old episodes of World in Action on YouTube at 3am.

dr beat

I'd buy an audiobook of Taylor reading out all those.

dr beat

Listening again to the most recent one again and got to the bit where they talk about Michael Ward, the child star from Workington, Cumbria, and I think Pricey is great there.

non capisco

How many weeks ago was the last one? I'm still finding myself stomping around my quarters singing East End Tune of an evening.

MY NAME IS PHIL
I LOVE KATHY
I'M A MOTOR MECHANIC
SHE WORKS IN THE CAFFY

shiftwork2

We are due.  9 months pregnant-due.

I've been well served recently so braced for a post-1986 episode that, while still delightful, I don't listen to four times immediately.

Camp Tramp

Quote from: shiftwork2 on March 19, 2021, 11:52:59 PM
We are due.  9 months pregnant-due.

I've been well served recently so braced for a post-1986 episode that, while still delightful, I don't listen to four times immediately.

I think some of the recent 1990 episodes on BBC4 have been well worthy of coverage and have had a good mix of bad and great songs.

boki

Apologies for forgetting who, but someone on here recommended the Back To Now podcast, which I've dipped in and out of. Anyway, the latest one has Alexis Petridis guesting, so has plenty of crossover appeal with our favourite pop crazed pod.

non capisco

Alexis Petridis independently had exactly the same idea as me for a club that only plays songs you hear at 3 in the morning in mini cabs. Only he had the sense to actually put it into practice rather than just 'do a thread on Cookd and Bombd'.

Camp Tramp

Quote from: non capisco on March 20, 2021, 01:37:00 PM
Alexis Petridis independently had exactly the same idea as me for a club that only plays songs you hear at 3 in the morning in mini cabs. Only he had the sense to actually put it into practice rather than just 'do a thread on Cookd and Bombd'.

Isn't that the event that Simon DJ'd on?

dr beat

Quote from: non capisco on March 19, 2021, 10:48:41 PM
How many weeks ago was the last one? I'm still finding myself stomping around my quarters singing East End Tune of an evening.

MY NAME IS PHIL
I LOVE KATHY
I'M A MOTOR MECHANIC
SHE WORKS IN THE CAFFY

Last one was Feb 19th.  Average seems to be about 5-6 weeks between episodes so hopefully we'll get a new one end of this month/early next.

boki

boki

Quote from: dr beat on March 20, 2021, 04:44:31 PM
Last one was Feb 19th.  Average seems to be about 5-6 weeks between episodes so hopefully we'll get a new one end of this month/early next.

Patreon update just landed - recording next week and Al's also going to start uploading previous episodes without ads to the Patreon

Chicory

Quote from: boki on March 20, 2021, 07:20:04 PM
Patreon update just landed - recording next week and Al's also going to start uploading previous episodes without ads to the Patreon

Excellent. As a fully paid up HFC, it hacks me right off when I go to listen to an old full length episode and Great Big Bowel have retro-inserted adverts left right and centre.

bigfatheart

Al also says:

QuoteRest assured that you will get the next episode soon (spoiler: it's a fucking batshit TOTP)

so let's all get speculating which particular batshit episodes we'd love to see covered!

First one that comes to mind for me is Garth Crooks introducing Killing Joke, sans Jaz Coleman. Just a perfect storm of weirdness in that moment alone.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Wacky Homemade Badges on March 18, 2021, 10:08:36 AM
His writing in Melody Maker often had quite a bullying style. I think he was actually going for a Chris Morris-ish bite, but often it seemed to fall the wrong side into spite. This sort of thing (below), where he's having a go at the band but in ways that for me are problematic - the band get a lot of joyful stick, but in the process so do the non-neurotypical, people who write about music but don't get paid for it, and women who want to choose the way they express their sexuality.

http://sarahrecords.org.uk/le-jardin-de-heavenly/

Can anyone remember if Melody Maker stopped censoring swear words?

David Stubbs' Wiki entry mentions that Mr. Agreeable's swear words were asterisked out to comply with IPC Media regulations [citation needed], but I have a memory of seeing full uncensored 'fucks' in MM in the last few years of its existence. Or have I muddled it up with NME?