Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:55:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast 2 (Man Sound) - ITS PIPOU TIME!

Started by dr beat, August 11, 2020, 09:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neomod

Quote from: sutin on March 31, 2021, 02:29:20 PM
Just started this from episode 1. The main host's accent is really weird but I like the show!

Just wait until you google what Al looks like. You will be SHOCKED!!

sweeper

The 'Sikh lad out of Shah Waddeh Waddeh' is an early anecdote, isn't it? That remains my favourite CM thing.

I would happily Patreon a spinoff pod of Al describing his most vivid dreams.

non capisco

Quote from: sweeper on April 02, 2021, 10:35:41 AM
The 'Sikh lad out of Shah Waddeh Waddeh' is an early anecdote, isn't it? That remains my favourite CM thing.

I would happily Patreon a spinoff pod of Al describing his most vivid dreams.

Still waiting on that Neil spin off podcast about crisps. I genuinely would listen to that, CMP crew, if you're reading.

famethrowa

Quote from: non capisco on April 02, 2021, 10:40:32 AM
Still waiting on that Neil spin off podcast about crisps. I genuinely would listen to that, CMP crew, if you're reading.

Love our guy Neil, but I also love how he doesn't realise when rock stars are stringing him along in interviews or whatever. Like when he was convinced that some song was about him, had to ask the band years later, and took their jocular response as proof. Also when he was interviewing Slipknot fella on the phone, who "had a car accident" as he was talking to Neil. Yeah sure he did buddy, that's certainly not a wind-up.

Brundle-Fly

Music cue query.

Does anybody know what music is used by Cuddly Ken when he introduces the New Releases section just after The DEEE-troit Spinners number? You only hear a brief snippet of psychedelic sounding rock but it sounds awesome. Probably another library track or maybe even CCS?

Thanks and an inappropriate arm around your shoulder and some innuendo in advance.

boki

Quote from: famethrowa on April 02, 2021, 01:29:19 PM
Like when he was convinced that some song was about him, had to ask the band years later, and took their jocular response as proof.

That wasn't a real band, it was a sketch on Goodness Gracious Me, and I think his case is pretty much rock solid if you go back and listen to it again.

non capisco

Ha, yeah, I'm pretty certain that sketch is referencing Neil. They stopped just short of showing Sanjeev Bhaskar tanning a massive packet of Bobby's BBQ Sauce Snack Mix but otherwise....

Custard

There must be a new one about to bubble to the surface? Seems like aaaaages since the last one!

In reality, it was probably about a month, but still

DrGreggles

#58 was being recorded last week (according to Al's last Patreon update), so hopefully we'll be seeing that HFC gif very soon!

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Shameless Custard on April 06, 2021, 01:22:28 PM
There must be a new one about to bubble to the surface? Seems like aaaaages since the last one!

In reality, it was probably about a month, but still

I'm jonesing for another episode too. Which is selfish and greedy of me, I know, as it must take Al ages to put these together.

Brundle-Fly

It's because they are so long. In reality, we're getting anything up to four average length podcasts an episode.

non capisco

I've started watching the TOTP episode in question before listening in preparation, can thoroughly recommend this method. The deferred gratification is worth it as you get extra yuks imagining what the contributors might have to say about some of the acts.

dr beat

DrGreggles

Quote from: non capisco on April 06, 2021, 06:09:55 PM
I've started watching the TOTP episode in question before listening in preparation, can thoroughly recommend this method.

I've been doing this too and it's definitely worthwhile, but I kind of miss not knowing which acts are covered.

I infer from the badge that Shaky is quite camp in how he plays the heterosexual rocker role to such an exaggerated degree. I can see how he was seen as a throwback antidote to the gender bending Human League et al, but it's pantomime.

Elvis originally was more ambiguous in gender and racial terms. He wore eyeliner (a trick borrowed from Tony Curtis) and bought his clothes from stores that catered mainly to black churchgoers like Lansky's.

bigfatheart

Isn't the badge from his pre-fame days, early 70s? I think it's most likely an ill-advised backlash against glam.

Incidentally, pop-crazed youngsters, I had a very vivid dream about Simon Bates last night. I think[nb]or hope, I'm jonesing for Chart Music[/nb] it's an omen that the Bates-signal could be in the sky very soon...

boki

non capisco

It's just dropped! Get in!

Spoiler alert
Oct 1980 ep, Taylor and ROCK EXPERT DAAAAAAVID STUUUUUUUUUBS!
[close]

Couldn't have come at a better time. I'm in dire need of a scabrous antidote to all this royal arse licking.

Pauline Walnuts

Spoiler alert
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4LXgIcbvME

Wonder if they could get a whole hour of top quality entertainment out of this guy's attire and attitude:

Oh, of course they can!

[close]

non capisco

Oh jeez, it's that episode where
Spoiler alert
Dave Lee Travis turns the studio floor into a car show, which seems to have the effect of making his hairy libido go off the scale and he's sexually inappropriate throughout, manhandling a disgusted looking Elkie Brooks and demanding "kissy-poo"s from audience members.
[close]
Yeah, rich pickings for the gang in this one.

If there's one thing that's guaranteed to cheer me up, it's 5 hours of Al, Taylor and Rock Expert David Stubbs verbally eviscerating the Hairy Cornflake. Surely their most broken in TOTP presenter punchbag or is that Edmonds?

dr beat

3 minutes in and I've already loved
Spoiler alert
David's Robin Askwith anecdote.  'Every morning he does a twitter search for 'Foucault'
[close]

Chicory

Quote from: non capisco on April 10, 2021, 10:08:26 AM
It's just dropped! Get in!

This has saved a very depressing weekend. No TOTPs, no Pick of the Pops, no decent telly or radio, weather appalling, pubs still shut. Was considering putting together a petition to get dear old Greggles out of quiz retirement. Thank you Al, you beautiful bald bastard. The year they're covering seems to be an era they all have a natural affinity for.  Mint and indeed, skill.

boki

Fuck me, this really is peak DLT. Just the audio from these links is making my skin crawl.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Yeah, this is a perfectly timed gift. Cheers, Al!

shiftwork2

A ray of sanity breaks through the clouds.  Hosts and vintage are exquisite, and the motor show bollocks on top oh this is going to be one to savour.

non capisco

Especially enjoyed Taylor's glee about how short the singer of Air Supply is.
Spoiler alert
"I found out his name is Russell, like the noise from the long grass that lets his bandmates know he's approaching."
[close]