Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:53:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast 2 (Man Sound) - ITS PIPOU TIME!

Started by dr beat, August 11, 2020, 09:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rizla

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on April 17, 2021, 08:16:04 PM
I really hope Taylor is present when a Nicky Campbell episode is finally covered. That unearned smugness is long overdue a DLT-style evisceration.

Didn't Campbell get mentioned at some point, with one of the hosts opining they suspected him to be "on the side of the angels", or am I thinking of another podcast? Either way, and as irksome a presence as he may have been[nb]And always was - "an irritating little shit", according to my Granddad, who was his secondary school art teacher.[/nb], it's a tad harsh lumping him in with the likes of Travis, fair's fair.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Camp Tramp on April 14, 2021, 07:23:08 PM
Taylor doesn't seem to have much of an online presence.

Maybe get in touch with Al on Facebook and Twitter to ask if Taylor is receptive to the idea? Al is normally very approachable. I'd like to see Taylor write something about British television.

I suggested this very thing back in August, funnily enough.

QuoteThe audiobook* I'd like to hear from Taylor would be an analysis of 20th-century terrestrial television during the 50s/60s/70s/80s before satellite dishes came along. There would be individual chapters on drama, comedy, news, science, music etc. It could be called Taylor Parkes' Aerial View. Would you read that?

To be honest, I read books by any of them. Stubbsy's tome is very good.

*I say audiobook because you have to have his dour tones for the full Parkes effect. Like the way, he emphasises any alternative with a pronounced 'OR'

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Rizla on April 17, 2021, 08:38:05 PM
Didn't Campbell get mentioned at some point, with one of the hosts opining they suspected him to be "on the side of the angels", or am I thinking of another podcast? Either way, and as irksome a presence as he may have been[nb]And always was - "an irritating little shit", according to my Granddad, who was his secondary school art teacher.[/nb], it's a tad harsh lumping him in with the likes of Travis, fair's fair.

I refuse to be fair to Nicky Campbell. I'd offer him a cigarette and punch him in the jaw instead of lighting it. I'd push him over while a mate leant down behind him. I'd pay a desperate tattoo artist to kidnap him and turn him Liberal Democrat yellow so everybody could see his true colours. I'd pretend to recognise him in the street and say "I'm thrilled to meet you, Mr. Leslie". I'd write 'CUNT' on a banana and stick it in the exhaust pipe of his poncy car. I'd lock him in a shipping container and play the Bombalurina album at top volume until he confessed to masterminding 9/11 during his mid-morning phone-in stint at 5 Live.

Dusty Substance

Another great episode of CM, even though the episode of TOTP in question was a bit of a stinker. Nothing else to add to DLT's leering and seediness other than how cringingly gross it was, even on an audio medium. And cars can fuck off, too.

Was surprised at the lukewarm response to Enola Gay, a truly brilliant single which still goes down incredibly well all ages whenever I drop it in a DJ set.

D.I.S.C.O is one of my very earliest memories and it's a song that I'll always have a fondness for, even if it's extremely unlikely I'll ever put it on and listen to it out of choice. Never realised there was another Kelly Marie disco tune (and  fucking loooovvveeee Feels Like I'm In Love) so will be sure to keep an eye for that one on 7"/12".

Always great to hear Kate Bush - Army of Dreamers is only two minutes long? Good grief.

Having bought Barbra Streisand's Guilty album last year, I found myself agreeing with Taylor's monologue in defence of Woman In Love.

Now it's the long, long wait until the next episode.

boki

Quote from: Dusty Substance on April 23, 2021, 11:54:00 AMWas surprised at the lukewarm response to Enola Gay, a truly brilliant single which still goes down incredibly well all ages whenever I drop it in a DJ set.

I think it's just a bit of a Marmite song. I've always found it annoying in a way I can't quite quantify.  It's objectively very well done and that, but... 

It's him, isn't it?  Must be.

non capisco

Quote from: boki on April 23, 2021, 03:08:18 PM
It's him, isn't it?  Must be.

He does have the face of Keith Harris.

THE FACE OF KEITH HARRIS!

dr beat

Johnboy

I don't mind Andy mccluskey, he was good in the Synth Pop Britannia doc but the only OMD record I have is Souvenir which the other lad sings.

Army Dreamers is a few seconds under 3 minutes.

Natnar

Quote from: Johnboy on April 28, 2021, 02:35:48 PM

Army Dreamers is a few seconds under 3 minutes.

The single version is even longer than 3 minutes since it fades out early on the album. Taylor didn't do his homework on this occasion.

Brundle-Fly

I'm with Al on Army Dreamers. One of my favourites by KB but then I'm always a sucker for a pop song in waltz time.

BTW, what was the meaning behind the Air Supply/ Patrick Troughton in-joke Taylor mumbles purely for the Whovian loser massive? The other Matthew Waterhouse in-joke he makes sounded a bit iffy. Was this alluding to that old Doctor Who producer come predator?

Camp Tramp

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 28, 2021, 05:25:28 PM
I'm with Al on Army Dreamers. One of my favourites by KB but then I'm always a sucker for a pop song in waltz time.

BTW, what was the meaning behind the Air Supply/ Patrick Troughton in-joke Taylor mumbles purely for the Whovian loser massive? The other Matthew Waterhouse in-joke he makes sounded a bit iffy. Was this alluding to that old Doctor Who producer come predator?

In the "Wheel In Space" there is a flub from Troughton when he mentions turning on the sexual air supply.

With Adric I think he merely had an erection while suspended in a web by The Master.

Brundle-Fly

Pauline Walnuts

Is that a tissue compression eliminator in your pocket are you just pleased to see me?

non capisco

beanheadmcginty

Jockice

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 10, 2021, 10:52:21 PM
It does hit close to home, I agree. As a washed-up middle-aged journalist myself, I relate to Taylor's grimly amusing tales of living alone with a cat while watching episodes of obscure German '70s pop shows in the regrets-fueled dead of night. He always makes me laugh whenever he describes his miserable life; catharsis, I suppose.
Have you been spying on me? Again!

Jockice

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on April 12, 2021, 04:44:43 PM
They're a great singles band at the very least.

Great or crap. Only the Pet Shop Boys have swung so much between singles I've absolutely loved and absolutely hated. Incidentally, I've interviewed McCluskey a couple of times and he reckons his dancing is on the beat and just not random flailing. So now you know.

Jockice

Quote from: Seedsy on April 12, 2021, 08:20:19 PM
I've alway thought dazzle ships was the 80s "kid A" or much discussed CaB band mansuns "six"

Yes! It's always been near the top of my most underrated albums ever list. I think it's great, even though a relation of mine who like me was a fan of their earlier stuff, describes it as 'the beginning of the end.'

phantom_power

Souvenir is a shimming beauty of a song that stands head and shoulders above the rest of their output. I like some of their other songs but that really is the pinnacle of their icy, haunting style of that period

Natnar

Quote from: Jockice on April 30, 2021, 06:54:16 AM
Yes! It's always been near the top of my most underrated albums ever list. I think it's great, even though a relation of mine who like me was a fan of their earlier stuff, describes it as 'the beginning of the end.'

If they had released Telegraph as the first single then i think it would have been a big hit.

Dusty Substance

If live music ever makes a return to Plague Island (proper live music), I highly recommend catching OMD live. I saw them a few years back and they were excellent. They did all the big singles and, as far as I can remember, there was no "Here's one from our latest album" that we all hate to hear from legacy acts.

As for McCluskey's dancing - Yeah, it was somewhere between Vic Reeves and Ian Curtis  but he kept it up for two solid hours which is pretty good going for a 60 year old.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Dusty Substance on April 30, 2021, 07:23:54 PM
there was no "Here's one from our latest album" that we all hate to hear from legacy acts.

Depends on how much one is a fan of the legacy act, I suppose? Personally, I sometimes prefer hearing the new material more than the old hits.

dr beat

CMP people, I'm putting this out here because I feel *you know*.  I'm putting this out here also because the last few CMPs have Quo-heavy.  Y'know, I used to think the greatest thing in Pop was the Quo vs Scooter, and in some ways, I stand by that.  See for yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0DTm_bWEjs

But then, on finding one of my go-to tracks to decompress after a heavy snooker session, I stumbled across Maddy vs Rossi and it lifted my heart with joy.  And I mean that, all around:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVsEJytTP2U

Quo vs...well, who needs the Marvel Comics Universe, when we have the CMP universe! Two Man Sound versus...who? (Not - The Who).

The official Quo Youtube site is blocked in the US for some reason.

QuoteVideo unavailable
The uploader has not made this video available in your country.

Jim_MacLaine

Rubbish TOTP article which fails to mention the CMP.
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/apr/30/chart-music-top-of-the-pops-nostalgia

Two mentions of it in the comments though. Cabbers?

eifion

Quote from: Jim_MacLaine on May 01, 2021, 01:43:21 AM

One of them was me. I've not posted on the Guardian website for years but I'll do it for Chart Music.

Brundle-Fly

Opening line. 'For many of us, it was the soundtrack to our childhood'

God, I hate that expression with a passion.

File alongside: 'It was the decade taste forgot', 'What were we thinking?' ' What's not to fucking like? and 'No, right to be that good'

badaids

Quote from: Jim_MacLaine on May 01, 2021, 01:43:21 AM
Rubbish TOTP article which fails to mention the CMP.
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/apr/30/chart-music-top-of-the-pops-nostalgia

The first thing I did when I saw the article was to search it for 'podcast' (nothing) and then 'needham' (nothing too). Read the article then, it was toss, and straight to the comments and search for chart music. Pleased to see the 6 or so references at least a couple must be cabbers.

Fancy doing an article about TOTP today and not including, or even  knowing about CM.

Pauline Walnuts

They don't even know what year they're repeating.

justin_bennett

For anyone with Al Needham withdrawal symptoms, he is a guest on the latest episode of a podcast called "David Lichfield's Stormers". 

Had never heard of it before and no wonder - it is atrocious.  The host has zero presentation skills and it's essentially a Spotify radio show of tracks from 1988.  Al comes in after a bit and his chat is split into 3 parts.  It's painful though - the mumbling, personality-free host talks over him, and there are loads of moments when Al trips up, pauses, and re-does a bit - presumably so that the host cunt can edit it out only he leaves it all in.

The Al chat is in 3 sections: 

- 1988 number ones (painful, goes on too long but Al is great and tolerates the host)
- Chart Music chat for anyone who hasn't heard what it's about
- Al's 90s career in grot-mags and Channel 5 (well worth a listen)

Anyway, worth a punt for the CMP superfans...