Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:00:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast 2 (Man Sound) - ITS PIPOU TIME!

Started by dr beat, August 11, 2020, 09:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DenzilHolles

Taylor is astonishing. He comes up with about a dozen lines per episode that absolutely floor me and are right up there with the best of all my comic heroes.

badaids

Quote from: DenzilHolles on May 31, 2021, 10:17:35 PM
Taylor is astonishing. He comes up with about a dozen lines per episode that absolutely floor me and are right up there with the best of all my comic heroes.

I can remember the precise moment that I got hooked on Chart Music.  It was when Taylor, almost apologetically, not unkindly, blurts that Ian Hunter is what Robert Plant looks like to a dog.  There are hundreds of lines now like that of his that kill me, not to mention his rants on the likes of Geldof, Hynde, Toyah, and his amazing cultural verbal-essays.  I often wonder why out of all the contributors he is the one that doesn't have any projects going on.  Maybe it's the mental health issues he references that are blocking, or perhaps it's just that the podcast format is the one best suited to his talents.  Feels mean to say this, but without Taylor Chart Music wouldn't behalf the podcast it is.

Auntie Beryl

It's not reflection on the rest of the gang, but if it's a Taylor episode then I'm looking forward to it just that little bit more.

famethrowa

His Charlie Brown routine was a properly formed comedy bit, perfectly framed and placed as funny darkness. "Your so-called cry for help..."

DenzilHolles

I just got a bit carried away and told Taylor on Facebook that he was ace. I'm a bit embarrassed! I don't remember laughing as much as anything as I did about what he said about Paul Heaton. They're all national treasures.

DenzilHolles

Does anyone know of any previous episodes where Taylor talks about being adopted?

He said something in the latest episode about it, about being self-reflective - it was deeply profound, and I'd love to hear more.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I loved their discussion about which Monkee should play each character in Monkey.

Spoiler alert
Dolenz as Monkey
Nesmith (with his 'diagnoburns') as Sandy
Tork as Pigsy
Jones as Tripitaka
[close]

Perfect.

famethrowa

I can't believe how wrong you all are. Dolenz is an obvious Pigsy, Nez as Monkey, Tork /Sandy and Davy as TT. Their nature was ..... irrepressible!

Nooooooo!! Let's not fall out over this, but Dolenz - despite his undeniable resemblance to Pigsy - embodies the anarchic spirit of Monkey. It's a role he was born to play. Sandy was rather acerbic and deadpan, so that's the perfect role for Nez. Tork - the daft one - is a shoe-in for Pigsy. At least we can agree that pretty boy Davy would look rather fetching as Tripitaka.

jamiefairlie

No, you're quite wrong! Dolenz is obviously Pigsy. Nesmith is Monkey, Jones tripeywhatsit and Tork the horse or Sandy.

jamiefairlie

Indeed! I must clarify though that when I say Pigsy, I do of course refer to the proper one and not that awful counterfeit they brought in later.

badaids

Quote from: DenzilHolles on June 01, 2021, 01:59:55 AM
Does anyone know of any previous episodes where Taylor talks about being adopted?

He said something in the latest episode about it, about being self-reflective - it was deeply profound, and I'd love to hear more.

There's one from about 1973 where he talks about it being a good year as the UK avoided a military coup and he was adopted thus saving him from the horror of growing up in a 1970s UK institution.

boki

Quote from: Dusty Substance on May 31, 2021, 06:39:35 PM
Can not believe there's a band calling themselves "Sly And The Family Drone". The fucking audacity.
They're great live, but I think Al's probably wise to give them a wide berth.  I reckon Neil and David might get something out of their mix of skronky sax, noisy electronics and pounding drums, though.

I'm only a couple of hours in but the discussion concerning the correct material to tighten around the base of the penis when doing a spot of male stripping is quite something. What a podcast.

Jockice

Quote from: DenzilHolles on June 01, 2021, 01:54:53 AM
I don't remember laughing as much as anything as I did about what he said about Paul Heaton.

What Shaun Ryder looks like to a dog?

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on June 01, 2021, 04:59:43 PM
I'm only a couple of hours in but the discussion concerning the correct material to tighten around the base of the penis when doing a spot of male stripping is quite something. What a podcast.

Had to skip that bit, made me feel a bit faint <shudder>

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 31, 2021, 12:24:39 AM
Yeah, Sarah disagreeing with Taylor is always great. They obviously all get on, but she's the only one who ever says, "No, that's bollocks."

Taylor's misanthropy and forthright opinions are very funny, and I know it's comedically performative to a certain extent, but Sarah is the only member of the gang who challenges him.

I think Al stands up to all of them too. He's quite vocal if he still likes things that they're all coating down with the benefit of hindsight or looking through the prism of today's values. He definitely the grit in the oyster.

Fair point, yes. Al is always happy to go against the grain if he likes something.

Brundle-Fly

Although, 'grit in the oyster' is probably the wrong term for an already quite gritty oyster. I dunno, 'the common touch'? meant in the most complimentary way ever.

Johnboy

Great episode. The combination of Neil and Taylor who are the same age doing a year they would remember well is dynamite. And Al is consistently hilarious.

Another up vote for max headroom  played that video a fair bit.

non capisco

I've spent so many hours in their audio company now that I laugh out loud fondly at little things like Al sounding genuinely disappointed that Neil doesn't grunt when he plays tennis.

buzby

Point of order Al - Force 8, who recorded the original verison of New Beginning, were not a Dooleys spinoff group. Jim Dooley was involved, as were a load of session musicians an a Liverpool band called Spooky. I got the full SP straight from the producer's mouth when this episode cropped up in the TOTP repeats.

I was glad they didn't give Sly Fox a coating down, but can't believe CaptainKulk hadn't noticed Let's Go All The Way was 'heavily influenced' by I Am The Walrus (you need to read the TOTP thread for the episode, Neil!). I was disappointed that Max Headroom and The Art Of Noise got coated down though, with them seemingly missing the point of Max's character entirely.

SteveDave

Quote from: DenzilHolles on May 31, 2021, 10:17:35 PM

The one that still sticks in my mind is "I've driven more beautiful women away than a Swedish undertaker"

non capisco

"Dusty Shelbyville" was another recent all timer.

shiftwork2

Quote from: buzby on June 03, 2021, 09:17:25 AM
Point of order Al - Force 8, who recorded the original verison of New Beginning, were not a Dooleys spinoff group. Jim Dooley was involved, as were a load of session musicians an a Liverpool band called Spooky. I got the full SP straight from the producer's mouth when this episode cropped up in the TOTP repeats.

I remember Force 8 being played a huge amount on Liverpool local radio stations at the time.

phantom_power

Quote from: buzby on June 03, 2021, 09:17:25 AM

I was glad they didn't give Sly Fox a coating down, but can't believe CaptainKulk hadn't noticed Let's Go All The Way was 'heavily influenced' by I Am The Walrus (you need to read the TOTP thread for the episode, Neil!). I was disappointed that Max Headroom and The Art Of Noise got coated down though, with them seemingly missing the point of Max's character entirely.

I think they also fundamentally get Art of Noise wrong, claiming they are smug and clever, clever when I think they are more playful and fun

dr beat

So that Claire and Friends follow-up - a Laurie Anderson cover?

dr beat

Fuck me, speaking as a SalSoul disco devotee, Taylor's absolutely spot on about Barbra's Shake Me Wake Me (When Its Over).  Paging discogs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub1QSoHI9hI

non capisco

Quote from: dr beat on June 03, 2021, 03:25:53 PM
So that Claire and Friends follow-up - a Laurie Anderson cover?

It's 'orrible being in love when you're eight and a ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Bothering posting this shite mainly to get rid of the edit glitch. Sorry, everyone.