Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,582,209
  • Total Topics: 106,728
  • Online Today: 897
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 05:21:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast 2 (Man Sound) - ITS PIPOU TIME!

Started by dr beat, August 11, 2020, 09:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: SteveDave on June 03, 2021, 09:19:17 AM
The one that still sticks in my mind is "I've driven more beautiful women away than a Swedish undertaker"

That's such a perfectly formed deadpan one-liner, worthy of Les Dawson at his best.

non capisco

From when they were talking about possible dodgy themes in Michael Jackson songs.

AL: I don't want to look too closely into 'Ben'.
TAYLOR: That's not what he said.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Taylor delivering hokey Trad. Arr. gags is always a hoot.

He did it again in the most recent episode, when they were talking about Samantha Fox: "Sure, she had her knockers..."

Chicory

Excellent episode - chalk me up as another ATV Eyes fanboy.  Also, I'm fascinated by Neil's accent.  Is that proper dyed-in-the-wool Cov?  I've known a fair few Coventarians in my time and none of them did that Y for an H thing, where 'humour' becomes "yumour" and 'huge' becomes "yuge". 

kidsick5000

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on June 01, 2021, 02:50:02 AM
I loved their discussion about which Monkee should play each character in Monkey.

Spoiler alert
Dolenz as Monkey
Nesmith (with his 'diagnoburns') as Sandy
Tork as Pigsy
Jones as Tripitaka
[close]

Perfect.

Absolutely

kidsick5000

The background to Claire and Friends was fascinating.
I surprised there hasn't been some Peter Morgan style reenactment.

Seedsy

Quote from: DenzilHolles on May 31, 2021, 10:17:35 PM
Taylor is astonishing. He comes up with about a dozen lines per episode that absolutely floor me and are right up there with the best of all my comic heroes.

He really is. This episode alone, his first crush story and then getting recognised in Finland before the pop stars he was covering were phenomenonal. And that was just in 1 episode.

His reboot of the peanuts comic strip, hilarious, but also worryingly dark. Maybe I'm Looking too much into that tho

I listened to his contribution on a podcast about Jeremy Corbyn. Jesus fucking christ. He spoke, I listened. I was actually in agreement with things I didn't want to admit to myself
This guy needs more exposure

Golden E. Pump

Lucky enough to have had a chat with David Stubbs about British Music 1977-79 for my podcast today. Fantastically friendly and knowledgeable, I also managed to refer to him as 'rock expert' David Stubbs. I'm not sure I'll be able to post links to the episode with board rules about self-promotion but in a few weeks it'll be available for everyone to listen to should you so wish.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Seedsy on June 05, 2021, 09:26:40 PM
I listened to his contribution on a podcast about Jeremy Corbyn. Jesus fucking christ. He spoke, I listened. I was actually in agreement with things I didn't want to admit to myself
This guy needs more exposure

Which podcast was this? I'd be interested in giving that a listen.

Seedsy

Defining Corbynism folks. Taylor is on great form

Egyptian Feast

Episode 7, to save anyone else searching. Thanks for the heads up, will give it a listen. Looking at some of the guests on other episodes, I'm doubtful the series as a whole is going to be the most balanced assessment on Corbynism, so I'll give the rest of it a pass, but I'm interested in hearing his thoughts.

Rizla

Quote from: Taylor Parkes
Yeah, from my extensive experience of sitting in my flat looking at social media and reading the internet seems to me that the Corbynites have now been split by the leadership election into the group who were essentially well-meaning and went with Jeremy Corbyn because he seemed nice and because he was the only one you know, pushing an anti-austerity narrative and who seemed to be of the left, and the nuts. And all of the nuts want Rebecca Long-Bailey to be the next leader of the Labour Party, and all of the other lot want Keir Starmer to be the next leader of the Labour Party. So I'm just gonna throw in my lot with Keir Starmer and keep my fingers crossed.

Well. As much as I love Taylor's work (and that Quietus article was pretty bang on, if you cast your mind back to that long ago hazy pre brexit pre Johnson other world we used to live in), that's just asinine. If he couldn't see what Starmer was, even as long ago as february 2020, I really don't know what to say.

dr beat

Don't want to come across as the thread police (at least not this time) but I'm not sure I want this to become
Spoiler alert
just another Corbyn thread
[close]
. Maybe we should get back to priapic dogs?

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Rizla on June 09, 2021, 04:59:02 PM
Well. As much as I love Taylor's work (and that Quietus article was pretty bang on, if you cast your mind back to that long ago hazy pre brexit pre Johnson other world we used to live in), that's just asinine. If he couldn't see what Starmer was, even as long ago as february 2020, I really don't know what to say.

That bit made me laugh, I must admit. I only skimmed the transcript myself - I can't say I disagreed with everything he said, but that was total bollocks. If that was his take on the leadership contest and RLB's support, his 'extensive experience of sitting in my flat looking at social media and reading the internet' must've been all of about five minutes.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: dr beat on June 09, 2021, 05:53:28 PM
Don't want to come across as the thread police (at least not this time) but I'm not sure I want this to become
Spoiler alert
just another Corbyn thread
[close]
. Maybe we should get back to priapic dogs?

Soz, won't derail any further.

Relistening to some old episodes and have just enjoyed Taylor's verdict on John & Yoko from episode 10. Amazing how quickly they bang through the old episodes. Before I started listening to Chart Music, 2 and a half hours seemed a bit much for a discussion of a TOTP episode, now it seems stingy.

badaids

Quote from: Golden E. Pump on June 06, 2021, 04:02:11 PM
Lucky enough to have had a chat with David Stubbs about British Music 1977-79 for my podcast today. Fantastically friendly and knowledgeable, I also managed to refer to him as 'rock expert' David Stubbs. I'm not sure I'll be able to post links to the episode with board rules about self-promotion but in a few weeks it'll be available for everyone to listen to should you so wish.

I'd love to hear this podcast GEP.

Egyptian Feast

I'd love to hear it too, definitely give us a heads-up when it's available, Golden E. Pump. What if someone else posted a link, would that be a problem? It's definitely on-topic for this thread.

Brundle-Fly

Spoiler alert
I am not affiliated but I do like the Silvery F.Bellows podcast called The Cacophony Sessions.
[close]

Egyptian Feast

Cheers, Brundle-Fly! I'll guess I'll listen to that mysterious person's podcast instead.

dr beat

I'm listening to the 1982 World Cup ep as a sort of warm up for the Euros. I'd missed the bit about making Ken Baily and BA Robertson fight like in the Two Tribes video.

badaids

Been saving this up and I have to say it's the best one for a while. 1986 was the year that I got into music and TOTP so I probably watched this one. Only half way through and I've already been told off for laughing too loudly twice by my wife. Too many touchstones for me on Taylor's first crush story and the Finland story was like something out of Curb.  I do think they were far to generous to the house martins though - for me it was always obvious and inevitable that Heston was really waiting to form the beautiful south and buy a pub near his nice house and shut it down for being too noisy.

Johnboy

Uncle TechTip

Not in the list for me

"Unbreak My Chart" has a logo ripped from The Chart Show.

non capisco

Voted twice, one from my Gmail and one from my work address. Judy Tzuke tour jacket in the post please, Al.

sutin

Quote from: Blinder Data on August 15, 2020, 11:43:25 AM
As someone who was born in 1990, has never read Melody Maker and barely watched TOTP, will I get much out of this of podcast? The reviews have been glowing but I worry I might be a generation or two beyond the target audience.

Also , just by the by, Ask" is a great song. "Spending warm sunny days indoors/Writing frightening verse to a buck-toothed girl in Luxembourg". The racist wanker was a genius lyricist, that can't be denied.

Sorry to reply to a post so old but to add to this, even though I was born in 1982 and occasionally read Melody Maker in the '90s, I never paid any attention to who the writers were and was only familar with Simon Price before listening to Chart Music. As for Top Of The Pops, i'm Northern Irish and had RTE, and in my opinion Irish music programming was *vastly* superior to British shows like TOTP in the '90s. I did watch TOTP from time to time if it was on, but I watched Top 30 Hits, 2TV etc. *way* more intently. Also, i've never liked music radio and haven't listened to Radio 1 in my life, so I had no idea who any of TOTP presenters talked about on the podcast were, except for Noel Edmonds (Dave Lee Travis is a name I knew exclusively from his Yewtree investigation a few years back).

But yes, I love this podcast. It's a fantastic in depth look into late 20th century British culture and social history, and it's so damn funny too (I echo all the praise for Taylor Parkes, a fantastically funny man). I'm so excited to have so many more episodes to get through (just finished number 15).

phantom_power

----edit glitch removal as I keep thinking there is a new episode------

dr beat

DrGreggles

Usually they're every 6-8 weeks, so fingers crossed.
Last one dropped on 24th May.