Author Topic: Chart Music Podcast 2 (Man Sound) - ITS PIPOU TIME!  (Read 73426 times)

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

• a hopeless vanity... a stupefyingly futile conceit
Re: Chart Music Podcast 2 (Man Sound) - ITS PIPOU TIME!
« Reply #930 on: June 03, 2021, 05:20:25 PM »
The one that still sticks in my mind is "I've driven more beautiful women away than a Swedish undertaker"

That's such a perfectly formed deadpan one-liner, worthy of Les Dawson at his best.

non capisco

• Life just passed and flashed right through me
    • https://twitter.com/IsThisRoss
« Reply #931 on: June 03, 2021, 05:29:30 PM »
From when they were talking about possible dodgy themes in Michael Jackson songs.

AL: I don't want to look too closely into 'Ben'.
TAYLOR: That's not what he said.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

• a hopeless vanity... a stupefyingly futile conceit
« Reply #932 on: June 03, 2021, 05:37:51 PM »
Taylor delivering hokey Trad. Arr. gags is always a hoot.

He did it again in the most recent episode, when they were talking about Samantha Fox: "Sure, she had her knockers..."

« Reply #933 on: June 05, 2021, 12:54:29 PM »
Excellent episode - chalk me up as another ATV Eyes fanboy.  Also, I'm fascinated by Neil's accent.  Is that proper dyed-in-the-wool Cov?  I've known a fair few Coventarians in my time and none of them did that Y for an H thing, where 'humour' becomes "yumour" and 'huge' becomes "yuge". 

kidsick5000

• Gotta be groovy for the moovy
« Reply #934 on: June 05, 2021, 04:19:07 PM »
I loved their discussion about which Monkee should play each character in Monkey.

Dolenz as Monkey
Nesmith (with his 'diagnoburns') as Sandy
Tork as Pigsy
Jones as Tripitaka

Perfect.

Absolutely

kidsick5000

• Gotta be groovy for the moovy
« Reply #935 on: June 05, 2021, 04:26:47 PM »
The background to Claire and Friends was fascinating.
I surprised there hasn’t been some Peter Morgan style reenactment.

« Reply #936 on: June 05, 2021, 09:26:40 PM »
Taylor is astonishing. He comes up with about a dozen lines per episode that absolutely floor me and are right up there with the best of all my comic heroes.

He really is. This episode alone, his first crush story and then getting recognised in Finland before the pop stars he was covering were phenomenonal. And that was just in 1 episode.

His reboot of the peanuts comic strip, hilarious, but also worryingly dark. Maybe I'm Looking too much into that tho

I listened to his contribution on a podcast about Jeremy Corbyn. Jesus fucking christ. He spoke, I listened. I was actually in agreement with things I didn't want to admit to myself
This guy needs more exposure

Golden E. Pump

• Basically Morris Day.
« Reply #937 on: June 06, 2021, 04:02:11 PM »
Lucky enough to have had a chat with David Stubbs about British Music 1977-79 for my podcast today. Fantastically friendly and knowledgeable, I also managed to refer to him as 'rock expert' David Stubbs. I'm not sure I'll be able to post links to the episode with board rules about self-promotion but in a few weeks it'll be available for everyone to listen to should you so wish.

« Reply #938 on: June 08, 2021, 06:17:21 PM »
I listened to his contribution on a podcast about Jeremy Corbyn. Jesus fucking christ. He spoke, I listened. I was actually in agreement with things I didn't want to admit to myself
This guy needs more exposure

Which podcast was this? I'd be interested in giving that a listen.

« Reply #939 on: June 08, 2021, 08:57:17 PM »
Which podcast was this? I'd be interested in giving that a listen.

+1

« Reply #940 on: June 08, 2021, 11:05:11 PM »
Defining Corbynism folks. Taylor is on great form

« Reply #941 on: June 09, 2021, 12:30:35 AM »
Episode 7, to save anyone else searching. Thanks for the heads up, will give it a listen. Looking at some of the guests on other episodes, I'm doubtful the series as a whole is going to be the most balanced assessment on Corbynism, so I'll give the rest of it a pass, but I'm interested in hearing his thoughts.

Rizla

• That's not another knife - THIS is another knife!
« Reply #943 on: June 09, 2021, 04:59:02 PM »
Quote from: Taylor Parkes
Yeah, from my extensive experience of sitting in my flat looking at social media and reading the internet seems to me that the Corbynites have now been split by the leadership election into the group who were essentially well-meaning and went with Jeremy Corbyn because he seemed nice and because he was the only one you know, pushing an anti-austerity narrative and who seemed to be of the left, and the nuts. And all of the nuts want Rebecca Long-Bailey to be the next leader of the Labour Party, and all of the other lot want Keir Starmer to be the next leader of the Labour Party. So I’m just gonna throw in my lot with Keir Starmer and keep my fingers crossed.

Well. As much as I love Taylor's work (and that Quietus article was pretty bang on, if you cast your mind back to that long ago hazy pre brexit pre Johnson other world we used to live in), that's just asinine. If he couldn't see what Starmer was, even as long ago as february 2020, I really don't know what to say.

dr beat

• #TeamColourfield
« Reply #944 on: June 09, 2021, 05:53:28 PM »
Don't want to come across as the thread police (at least not this time) but I'm not sure I want this to become just another Corbyn thread. Maybe we should get back to priapic dogs?

« Reply #945 on: June 09, 2021, 05:59:51 PM »
Well. As much as I love Taylor's work (and that Quietus article was pretty bang on, if you cast your mind back to that long ago hazy pre brexit pre Johnson other world we used to live in), that's just asinine. If he couldn't see what Starmer was, even as long ago as february 2020, I really don't know what to say.

That bit made me laugh, I must admit. I only skimmed the transcript myself - I can't say I disagreed with everything he said, but that was total bollocks. If that was his take on the leadership contest and RLB's support, his 'extensive experience of sitting in my flat looking at social media and reading the internet' must've been all of about five minutes.

« Reply #946 on: June 09, 2021, 06:05:08 PM »
Don't want to come across as the thread police (at least not this time) but I'm not sure I want this to become just another Corbyn thread. Maybe we should get back to priapic dogs?

Soz, won't derail any further.

Relistening to some old episodes and have just enjoyed Taylor's verdict on John & Yoko from episode 10. Amazing how quickly they bang through the old episodes. Before I started listening to Chart Music, 2 and a half hours seemed a bit much for a discussion of a TOTP episode, now it seems stingy.

« Reply #947 on: June 09, 2021, 09:12:09 PM »
Lucky enough to have had a chat with David Stubbs about British Music 1977-79 for my podcast today. Fantastically friendly and knowledgeable, I also managed to refer to him as 'rock expert' David Stubbs. I'm not sure I'll be able to post links to the episode with board rules about self-promotion but in a few weeks it'll be available for everyone to listen to should you so wish.

I'd love to hear this podcast GEP.

« Reply #948 on: June 09, 2021, 09:28:23 PM »
I'd love to hear it too, definitely give us a heads-up when it's available, Golden E. Pump. What if someone else posted a link, would that be a problem? It's definitely on-topic for this thread.

Brundle-Fly

• "Why don't you do something to help me?"
« Reply #949 on: June 10, 2021, 02:42:08 PM »
I am not affiliated but I do like the Silvery F.Bellows podcast called The Cacophony Sessions.

« Reply #950 on: June 10, 2021, 05:02:22 PM »
Cheers, Brundle-Fly! I'll guess I'll listen to that mysterious person's podcast instead.

dr beat

• #TeamColourfield
« Reply #951 on: June 10, 2021, 05:11:26 PM »
I'm listening to the 1982 World Cup ep as a sort of warm up for the Euros. I'd missed the bit about making Ken Baily and BA Robertson fight like in the Two Tribes video.

« Reply #952 on: June 14, 2021, 08:38:24 AM »
Been saving this up and I have to say it’s the best one for a while. 1986 was the year that I got into music and TOTP so I probably watched this one. Only half way through and I’ve already been told off for laughing too loudly twice by my wife. Too many touchstones for me on Taylor’s first crush story and the Finland story was like something out of Curb.  I do think they were far to generous to the house martins though - for me it was always obvious and inevitable that Heston was really waiting to form the beautiful south and buy a pub near his nice house and shut it down for being too noisy.

Johnboy

• I had too much to dream last night
« Reply #953 on: June 17, 2021, 10:10:42 PM »
https://www.britishpodcastawards.com/vote

Cast yer vote for chart music

A load of bollocks yes but why not

Uncle TechTip

• You won, get over it
« Reply #954 on: June 17, 2021, 11:20:20 PM »
Not in the list for me

"Unbreak My Chart" has a logo ripped from The Chart Show.

non capisco

• Life just passed and flashed right through me
    • https://twitter.com/IsThisRoss
« Reply #955 on: June 17, 2021, 11:25:33 PM »
Voted twice, one from my Gmail and one from my work address. Judy Tzuke tour jacket in the post please, Al.

Tags: