Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:33:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast 2 (Man Sound) - ITS PIPOU TIME!

Started by dr beat, August 11, 2020, 09:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnboy

Pricey will most likely be a guest but who will he be paired with?

new page cripes!

DrGreggles

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on July 02, 2021, 12:28:25 PM
Might they be waiting until after the Euros?

Perhaps, but I always think the gap is mainly down to the mammoth edit Al has to do rather than recording schedules.

dr beat

I'd imagine the research and prep takes a lot of time as well.  Those facebook profiles of Guys and Dolls members aren't easy to track down ;)

Quote from: Johnboy on July 02, 2021, 09:23:18 AM
Pricey will most likely be a guest but who will he be paired with?

new page cripes!

Sarah hasn't done one yet this year, so probably her.

Brundle-Fly

It would be amazing if they could persuade old MM editor and raconteur, Allan Jones onto CMP. Him and Stubbsy on a seventies episode would be mint.

Dusty Substance

You know how Al will usually introduce an act by saying something along the lines of "Born in Hammersmith in March 1958, Gary Numan is a synthpop artist who began his career as a forklift driver before his father bought him a Les Paul guitar which became his treasured possession and kickstarted his interest in music....."etc....

But for some of the all time greats, he'll do the "Born in Michigan 1958, Steve Wonder is Stevie fucking Wonder". I know he's done it for Stevie, Paul McCartney, Prince and George Michael. I expect Bowie got the exclusive Al introduction but can't remember for definite.

Who else is in Al's Hall of Fucking Fame?

Egyptian Feast

He did it for Michael Jackson in the last one I relistened to, #14.

DrGreggles

Abba

Although his best intro was "Formed in Tito Jackson's bollocks".

bigfatheart

I'm fairly certain he did it for Oasis, though, so it's not necessarily all-time greats so much as acts it's assumed the audience will absolutely be familiar with.

Unless I'm getting mixed up with "we've already covered Oasis IN THIS FUCKING EPISODE". It's possible.

eifion

Wham got that treatment in the current episode.

Crabwalk

non capisco

YES!!! Even going by just the episode title this ought to be a good one!

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

non capisco

Just watched the relevant TOTP episode and if they don't mention how much
Spoiler alert
Nick Heyward
[close]
looks like
Spoiler alert
a young Nigel Farage
[close]
I'll be surprised.

Another episode from the years Al is probably most comfortable with. Perhaps because Al has been having some stressful times, is he sticking with years that give him the most pleasure? I'm not complaining but there's an obvious signal of being too stressed to want to spend weeks researching a shit year (i.e. any year post-1983). OTOH he knows his audience and we are (mostly) on the same page.

non capisco

It's an episode I've been waiting for, where they rhapsodise about
Spoiler alert
Dexys
[close]
, and it doesn't disappoint. Pricey and Neil both echo my feelings about how amazing that band is and why.

Yep, in fact after the Rowlandian Rhapsody I just stopped and have been listening to Dexys. Love them.

Golden E. Pump

non capisco

Loved Al's anecdote about his workmate and
Spoiler alert
"Friar David"
[close]
. Always a fan of the comically specific lie.

shiftwork2

This is just a lovely treat for the weekend.  The frequency of episodes is spot on now - a new one is special, and when it arrives there's so much rich stuff to get stuck in to with multiple relistens.

I LOL'd at Bates' utterly pointless 'interview' with
Spoiler alert
Gene Anthony Ray from Fame
[close]

Spoiler alert
Bates: Is there going to be another series, Leroy?

Ray: Yes there is.

Bates: Great!

Such was Bates' commitment to the link, he couldn't even be bothered to learn the actor's real name. What a fucking oaf.
[close]

Another big laugh from me at Neil describing
Spoiler alert
Dee Snider's face as "eventful"
[close]
. It wasn't intended as an insult either, it's just a succintly accurate description.

Pricey often drops Morris and Partridge references into CMP, but it's practically a compulsion in this episode.

Not that I'm complaining, God knows I must do that myself during those rare occasions when I'm chatting to likeminded people.

non capisco

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on July 11, 2021, 07:02:14 AM
Jo Boxers' follow-up "Just Got Lucky", is wonderful:

Yeah, have loved that one ever since it came up on the BBC4 repeats. It really does sound like an authentic 60s classic soul stomper. In a similar vein thanks to this episode I've only just realised what an absolute heater 'Church Of The Poisoned Mind' is. The best thing Boy George has ever lent his pipes to, I reckon.