Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:42:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast 2 (Man Sound) - ITS PIPOU TIME!

Started by dr beat, August 11, 2020, 09:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: non capisco on July 11, 2021, 01:48:03 PM
I've only just realised what an absolute heater 'Church Of The Poisoned Mind' is. The best thing Boy George has ever lent his pipes to, I reckon.

Without a doubt. George had a great voice, but that's the only time he wrapped it around an absolute banger.*

And I bet Dylan wasn't being entirely ironic when he said the only religion he followed was "the church of the poison mind".

* Come on, you're all better than that.

Quote from: non capisco on July 09, 2021, 11:28:53 AM
Just watched the relevant TOTP episode and if they don't mention how much
Spoiler alert
Nick Heyward
[close]
looks like
Spoiler alert
a young Nigel Farage
[close]
I'll be surprised.

Having just listened to the episode,
Spoiler alert
I really hope Neil doesn't read this
[close]

non capisco

^ Ha ha, yeah, wide of the mark on that one, wasn't I?

Each to their own I guess. Is Nick Heyward beautiful, CaB?!

buzby

Quote from: non capisco on July 11, 2021, 01:48:03 PM
I've only just realised what an absolute heater 'Church Of The Poisoned Mind' is. The best thing Boy George has ever lent his pipes to, I reckon.
Helen Terry's vocal performance in the choruses is the standout on that track for me, rather than George's.

Quote from: non capisco on July 11, 2021, 06:38:21 PM
Each to their own I guess. Is Nick Heyward beautiful, CaB?!
My eldest sister certainly thought so, to the point she had a Nick Heyward pillowcase.

non capisco

Quote from: buzby on July 12, 2021, 12:25:32 PM
Helen Terry's vocal performance in the choruses is the standout on that track for me, rather than George's.

She's great but I also think George has never sounded better, his voice is proper snaking through that verse melody when it changes up just before the chorus.

Neomod

Quote from: buzby on July 12, 2021, 12:25:32 PM
My eldest sister certainly thought so, to the point she had a Nick Heyward pillowcase.

My sister thought so too as she went to see the Haircuts at The Brighton Dome.

She also managed to get me my future wife's autograph who she met in the ladies loos. It read For Nick, Love You, Claire Grogan.

buzby

Quote from: Neomod on July 12, 2021, 01:36:47 PM
Yes, my sister went to see them at the Liverpool Empire on 29/05/82 (I've still got the ticket stub, tucked in the sleeve of her copy of the Fantastic Day (Live) picture disc.
She also managed to get me my future wife's autograph who she met in the ladies loos. It read For Nick, Love You, Claire Grogan.
Grrrr!<shakes fist>

"Create your own ideal episode line-up within the rules" is a great addition at the end. I would have numbers 53 and 99 in there:

https://www.officialcharts.com/charts/singles-chart/19830403/7501/

DrGreggles

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on July 13, 2021, 12:07:38 PM
"Create your own ideal episode line-up within the rules" is a great addition at the end. I would have numbers 53 and 99 in there:

https://www.officialcharts.com/charts/singles-chart/19830403/7501/

There's a few bangers on their way down.
I think a couple of weeks earlier would have had greater potential.

Jockice

Quote from: Neomod on July 12, 2021, 01:36:47 PM

A girl in the year below me at school set up a petition calling for the music reporter at the local paper to be sacked after he gave them a bad review. I think it got over a hundred signatures.

I didn't sign it - I don't think I was even asked - but little did I know I would be the music reporter at that very paper a few years later. And despite my very best efforts, nobody ever set up a petition against me.

Jockice

PS, Time (Clock Of The Heart) was the best Culture Club single. And also the only one I owned at the time, although I didn't buy it. It was a borrow and not give back job.

SteveDave

Whilst I agree with them that there's no bite in music journalism anymore, why do Simon and Neil constantly go after the low hanging fruit that is Oasis? They know that Radio Sex will repost it and then they'll get awful replies from the Dark Fruit Brigade.

famethrowa

Quote from: SteveDave on July 15, 2021, 09:10:53 AM
Whilst I agree with them that there's no bite in music journalism anymore, why do Simon and Neil constantly go after the low hanging fruit that is Oasis? They know that Radio Sex will repost it and then they'll get awful replies from the Dark Fruit Brigade.

I suspect they don't like Oasis.

SteveDave

shiftwork2

Replace the increasingly tiresome 'pop and interesting' preamble with, I don't know, 'ways to entice DLT into a Wicker Man' and straight away you've got us by the Jaffas.

DrGreggles

TheMonk

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on July 11, 2021, 02:01:29 PM
Without a doubt. George had a great voice, but that's the only time he wrapped it around an absolute banger.*

And I bet Dylan wasn't being entirely ironic when he said the only religion he followed was "the church of the poison mind".

* Come on, you're all better than that.
True, but when he sings it these days he sounds like he's gargling salt.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Neomod

Quote from: SteveDave on July 15, 2021, 01:47:20 PM
That does seem to be their problem..

Yeah, not really their problem if their hatred is justified

and perhaps, ancient.

DrGreggles

Quote from: SteveDave on July 15, 2021, 01:47:20 PM
Hi Simon. Congrats on your wedding.

Yes, other than to Simon and Neil, Oasis are universally beloved...

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Neomod on July 15, 2021, 02:02:15 PM
Yeah, not really their problem if their hatred is justified

and perhaps, ancient.

You can have fun kicking old corpses, but it get old real quick. Especially when the people you're kicking went on to be the biggest band in the world UK, and the magazine they wrote for stoped being published 20 years ago.

Neomod

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on July 15, 2021, 08:18:21 PM
You can have fun kicking old corpses, but it get old real quick. Especially when the people you're kicking went on to be the biggest band in the world UK, and the magazine they wrote for stoped being published 20 years ago.

Maybe they do it just to wind up their fans.

As you were.

Dusty Substance

why do Simon and Neil constantly go after the low hanging fruit that is Oasis?

Everyone goes after low hanging fruit these days. That's why British satire is in a vegetative state.

Thought it was a great episode. What a cracking line up. Even Simon "Pricey" Price didn't pontificate too much on this episode. Kind of made that they didn't get to properly talk about Kevin until episode 60.

Not surprised that none of them liked Words by F.R David. It's a tune I only discovered within the last couple of years and actually really like it. Hadn't picked up on the Roy Orbison thing until they mentioned but it goes a long way to explain why it's my cup of tea.

More surprising was the love for Big Country. A band I've never dug but may give them another try based on this episode.

Six and half hours is such a treat. Incredible how they pack so much in and still leave me wanting more. If any other podcast dropped an episode that length I doubt I'd give it a listen.

phantom_power

I also think that while I don't doubt their opinions are genuine, which opinions they choose to throw out in the world is often done for effect, or to get a rise, or to be "cool", or whatever they are accused of. They wouldn't get the same response from saying that Kula Shaker or whoever are shit so they don't bother

Also, they talk about how people don't know how to take proper music journalism any more, and that might well be true, but the people they are arguing with on Twitter are probably people who wouldn't read music journalism in the 80s or 90s anyway. I think they are expecting too much from their audience, given that audience is "everyone on Twitter"

Levi

Halfway through this episode and it's a banger. I've found Simon's last few appearances to be a little sour, so it's lovely to hear him talking so beautifully about the way
Spoiler alert
Dexys
[close]
link to his adolescent loneliness.  Delighted for the
Spoiler alert
Twisted Sister
[close]
love as well. Thought it was just me.

sweeper

Because almost no one else ever does. There's something dark about what happened to the accepted perception of reality in the mid-90s. It's continually refreshing to hear from others who held their nerve, and make their case far more articulately than I'm capable of doing. I could listen to it all day.

phantom_power

Isn't that what happens with all cultural history though? Things happen, a consensus forms to make a "narrative" of the times and then over time the real picture emerges and the consensus gets eroded. It is like how in the 80s the 60s was seen as all flower power and hippies and that has slowly been replaced with a more rounded view of the times

sweeper

Just because it happens, doesn't mean it's a good thing. Doesn't mean it shouldn't be resisted. Marginal voices often tell a more balanced, and therefore interesting account.

DrGreggles

I can see how having to constantly write about a specific band that you have no interest in can lead to absolutely despising them.
Nothing wrong with them mentioning it.
The only people it will upset are fans of that band - and I'm certain they couldn't care less about them anyway.