Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:43:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Further lockdown easing despite high number of cases

Started by Fambo Number Mive, August 13, 2020, 10:51:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: jobotic on August 21, 2020, 03:58:05 PM
Two deaths yesterday on NHSE site now Paulie.

Still, none for tomorrow so far - Hurrah for Boris!

so 2 deaths from 60 odd million eh, what level will you be happy at?

protests, beach invasions, rising cases causing lockdowns and we simply aren't seeing a rise in deaths - the exact opposite

time to stop listening to the mentals and get back to normal

Alberon

Yep, pandemic over. Everyone back to work. Absolutely no way Covid will come back now.

jobotic

Something tells me Paulie doesn't work in the sort of working class job that involves being stuck in an enclosed space with other people. I expect you can work the derivatives desk from home?

Remember the joy you felt when NZ got new cases?

BlodwynPig

Fambo Number Mive

I'm probably wasting my time replying to PW but most people at the protests wore masks and it's much harder to transmit the virus outside.

Hospitalisations and deaths are lagging indicators. Look at Florida which has had cases shooting up for months and is now seeing 100 deaths a day.

To be honest, and I might need to have a shower afterwards and hand in my lefty credentials.... but I agree completely with Paulie. We need to at least try and get back to normal. Yes, this requires continual adherence to social distancing measures, but the consequences of not living life, will go on to have far reaching effects on society and the economy.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on August 23, 2020, 08:18:18 AM
To be honest, and I might need to have a shower afterwards and hand in my lefty credentials.... but I agree completely with Paulie. We need to at least try and get back to normal. Yes, this requires continual adherence to social distancing measures, but the consequences of not living life, will go on to have far reaching effects on society and the economy.

While I understand this sentiment. "Living life" even before the pandemic was dangerous, destructive and suicidal for much of the population. This pandemic presented an opportunity to discuss what a 'new life' could look like, with greater social cohesion, innovation around climate change, transport, capital ownership etc etc. Humanity has massively failed to grab these thorns. Instead, slopping back into the self-obsessed, Neo-liberal mindset from top to bottom. Now, the bottom cannot be blamed for wanting Corrie back on the TV and battered sausage and chips on tap (*joke*), but it is the responsibility of the decision makers, the politicians, the corporations, the scientists and the people movements to debate this and find a common ground. Where that is impossible, it must be done by force.

So, for me "FUCK normal" will always be my response. You may call me out and a 'bad person'. Tell me that in 20 years when you're complaining about 45 degree heat in March, lack of food of any quality, water rationing, perpetual riots and theft.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Well up for a battered sausage now you've mentioned it.

phantom_power

Quote from: Paulie Walnuts on August 22, 2020, 01:52:01 PM
so 2 deaths from 60 odd million eh, what level will you be happy at?

protests, beach invasions, rising cases causing lockdowns and we simply aren't seeing a rise in deaths - the exact opposite

time to stop listening to the mentals and get back to normal

Very few people die of the the flu in the summer. Is that over with as well?