Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 10:57:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Google Play Music no more

Started by buntyman, August 14, 2020, 03:10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveDave

How people can listen to streaming from this platform I have no idea. I was at my brother-in-law's today and various requests for "80s music" or "disco music" were met with compilations of really awful sound-a-like (but not enough) cover versions.

We even asked for "Yellow Submarine" and whatever came out of the speaker wasn't The Beatles.

In the end Adele was requested and I have no idea what we heard was her or a load of covers but it was all awful.

kalowski

Had it with YTM. I had a Play Music family subscription but now it's effectively useless as my kids are under 13.
They kept that quiet as they were taking my money.

studpuppet

Sorry to bump this but I was hoping for some tech advice. I've always been on iTunes until a work Android phone made me seek out a way of making my library available on it. Google Play was perfect for what I needed and it had a useful Music Manager on my Mac that uploaded new files when I added them to iTunes.

As far as I can see, there's no software that gives the same direct connection for YTM? Or is there? At present I think my only route is to open a folder and manually drag the files onto the YTM page to upload them.

olliebean

Quote from: studpuppet on November 09, 2020, 02:27:37 PM
As far as I can see, there's no software that gives the same direct connection for YTM? Or is there? At present I think my only route is to open a folder and manually drag the files onto the YTM page to upload them.

There's this, although I've no idea how well it works: https://github.com/jamesbrindle/YTMusicUploader

<edit> Sorry, that's only for Windows. I don't know of anything similar for Mac.

JaDanketies

This YouTube music player is gonna do my head in. Far less intuitive a menu for people like me who buy mp3s and download to their phone. I can tell I'm going to find it unusable if I am ever intoxicated. Also it doesn't even seem interested in playing my mp3s, it wants to play via YouTube so it can spew adverts at me. Thanks a fuckin lot Android.

Plenty of alternative music players exist.

kalowski

Quote from: JaDanketies on November 09, 2020, 06:21:28 PM
This YouTube music player is gonna do my head in. Far less intuitive a menu for people like me who buy mp3s and download to their phone. I can tell I'm going to find it unusable if I am ever intoxicated. Also it doesn't even seem interested in playing my mp3s, it wants to play via YouTube so it can spew adverts at me. Thanks a fuckin lot Android.

Plenty of alternative music players exist.
It's fucking awful.

My solution
Link your mp3 folder to Dropbox
Get Astiga
Listen away.

Johnboy

I use Jet Audio, free app, plenty of features.

I don't do any organising of the files though so not sure how easy that is.

studpuppet

Quote from: olliebean on November 09, 2020, 06:12:15 PM
There's this, although I've no idea how well it works: https://github.com/jamesbrindle/YTMusicUploader

<edit> Sorry, that's only for Windows. I don't know of anything similar for Mac.

Yeah - that's exactly what I'm after, but for OSX. At present, for every new file I stick into iTunes, I'm going to have to find the folder in the iTunes library and select the files I want manually...