Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,187
  • Total Topics: 106,349
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:51:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Cribs are an excellent pop band and they always have been

Started by The Mollusk, August 14, 2020, 11:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mollusk

They've got a new single out so I thought I'd use the opportunity to start a proper thread for them.

The Cribs - three hard-working brothers from West Yorkshire - are easily one of the most under-appreciated British indie bands of the last couple of decades. With seven albums under their belts, and only one of them receiving the critical reception it deserved ("Men's Needs, Women's Needs, Whatever", during the big mid-noughties indie spike), they are a group who have always maintained their core sound of sharp, punchy hits with simple but effective hooks whilst switching up their style slightly across every release.

Every one of their albums is great in its own right. There's the scrappy pop firecrackers of their first two albums which segue very nicely into their third album, "Men's Needs...", serving up 40 minutes of incredibly sharp and infectious hits and a great spoken-word guest appearance from Lee Ranaldo at the end. 2009's "Ignore the Ignorant" was a team-up with Johnny Marr, whose distinct guitar prowess shimmers and delivers a fantastic collaboration. It's one of their best albums.

Hey Scenesters (2004)

Girls Like Mystery (2007)

Cheat On Me (2009 with Johnny Marr. I fucking adore this song.)

"In the Belly of the Brazen Bull" and "For All My Sisters" (the latter being produced by the late great Ric Ocasec) are both solid, and 2017's "24-7 Rock Star Shit", produced by Steve Albini, was another departure in sound as they very effectively went grunge. This is another of my favourites of theirs; derivative though it is, they just nail it like they always have. It sounds like Nirvana but it is most definitely a Cribs album.

Burning for No One (2015, Ric Ocasek produced)

Rainbow Ridge (2017, Steve Albini produced)

It's explicitly clear throughout all of their work that they are brothers (two twins, one younger) as they have such a close-knit and harmonious artistic relationship, and everything has always gelled together so well. They all have an equal share in how they sound as a band. They're just fucking great.

Please talk with me about The Cribs.

Oh, and here's that new single:

Running Into You (2020)

ArtParrott

Was a big fan of those first two albums at the time. They were clearly heads and shoulders above the landfill indie of the day but I don't think I've heard anything since Men's Needs in full and I should really change that.

I did pick up one of these Ryan Jarman signature squier's a few years ago though and pleased I did as it's very nice - https://reverb.com/uk/item/3911355-squier-fsr-ryan-jarman-mus-uar

The Mollusk

Quote from: ArtParrott on August 14, 2020, 12:23:57 PM
Was a big fan of those first two albums at the time. They were clearly heads and shoulders above the landfill indie of the day but I don't think I've heard anything since Men's Needs in full and I should really change that.

Deffo have a sniff of the songs I linked above. Whenever I post recommendation threads here I always try to cherry-pick stuff from an artist/band's oeuvre that best summarises their talents to try and give an overall scope of why they're great. "Cheat On Me" is honestly a marvellous tune. Fans of Suede/The Smiths and the like could definitely find something to enjoy in their 2009-2015 period.

Seedsy

I really like these chaps, scratchy, punky tunes. I get the feeling they are absolutely happy with their place in the world too. They don't want to be a huge stadium band.
Looking forward to the new material

Norton Canes

Is this the Lego-hair guy who always seemed to be on NMT Buzzcocks?

Ferris

I woke up with "Our Bovine Public" stick in my head this morning, had no idea they were still going. Will give 'em a listen now, I remember liking their slightly barbed approach to pop music. Saw them live (supported by ¡Forward, Russia! I think?) back in the day and they were great fun.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Norton Canes on August 15, 2020, 10:59:22 PM
Is this the Lego-hair guy who always seemed to be on NMT Buzzcocks?

Haha, I never knew he'd been on there, but just had a quick gander and you're right. He's quite a funny chap! His hair is awful but please don't let that distract you from his excellent pop songwriting chops.

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on August 16, 2020, 12:56:06 AM
"Our Bovine Public"

Banger. That tune gets stuck in my head a lot, it's ridiculously catchy. Let me know what you make of their other stuff.

Everybody have a great Sunday and listen to The Cribs.

the science eel

The Mollusk

The album I mentioned twice in the OP which is easier to find out by googling than by posting a faux-innocuous question on a forum? Yes.

Fr.Bigley

Good bunch of lads. Best thing to come out of Wakey since that shark-punching-straits-of-Johor-swimming nutcase, Paul Sykes.