Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 12:02:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What screw type is this (weird Ikea head)

Started by Sebastian Cobb, August 14, 2020, 07:07:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Sorry for such a trite thread, I want to wire a remote module to this lamp in place of the switch (during testing at least) but don't know the name of the fitting to get the right bits. I'd prefer not to just chop it out.

the

Would you get enough purchase to unscrew it using the old trick of heating the end of a biro casing (or similar plastic rod) and pushing it in to mould to the shape?

Uncle TechTip

Is it a slightly different form of one-way, so you have no choice but to cut it out or melt a pen on it.

I like Frearson, which seems to be Philips reversed, can't imagine why that didn't take off. Bristol looks needlessly Iiddly as well. Supadriv pronounced super drive. Down the screw head dumper you go.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on August 14, 2020, 07:35:28 PM
Is it a slightly different form of one-way, so you have no choice but to cut it out or melt a pen on it.

Ah shit it is isn't it? I'll try the biro as you/the suggested (worked getting the triangle screws on my gamecube), I suppose I could drill it but at that point I may as well chop it out.

buzby

Spring loaded centre punch to turn it out, or drill a pilot hole down the middle and use a screw extractor/Easy Out to get it out - see here.

There are drivers specifically for removing these screws that have two small hardened steel pints instead of a blade ,btu they aren't exactly cheap or easy to come by.

Sebastian Cobb

Cheers, buzby! I'll go with the centre punch I think.

Fr.Bigley

buzby

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on August 16, 2020, 01:10:25 PM
Torque set innit?
Torq-Set is the offset Phillips:

The ones used by Ikea on their electronic gear to stop you dismantling them are Clutch Head/One Way security screws.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: buzby on August 16, 2020, 09:17:56 PM
Torq-Set is the offset Phillips:

The ones used by Ikea on their electronic gear to stop you dismantling them are Clutch Head/One Way security screws.

thank you for the clarification. I've learned today. sincere

Ferris

Am I too late to point out they are security screws?

You need to drill it out of get one of those fancy screw-grabber drill bit things. I think a punch would crack the plastic frame.

In the past I've used a hacksaw blade to put an extra groove in the head and removed with a flat bit screw driver but it's not easy and you can shear the head off and leave yourself snookered. I'd guess those are self tapping screws so as long as you were careful you'd have them out with a few turns (ie they'd be loose enough to remove by hand after).

I know an inordinate of shit about screws and/or bolts. My time to shine!

Ferris

...beaten to the punch (ho ho) by the omniscient Buzby!

The guy's too good.

Blumf

Fucking bonkers how many screw head styles there are.

And Sebastian Cobb, make damn sure you get us the money shot when you get them screws out, the inside of that switch all splayed out.

Dex Sawash

This is why we have wire nuts in america. Jerk the fkn wires out the switch and you 4 have nice stripped ends to patch together in 3 seconds. (Except the unswitched lead always passes straight through those floor lump devices spoiling my joke)

touchingcloth

Ignore, just signed up, all posts about screwing, etc.

I wonder why Ikea do this? Why are they arsed if you take their plugs apart?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: touchingcloth on November 29, 2022, 01:42:17 PMIgnore, just signed up, all posts about screwing, etc.

I wonder why Ikea do this? Why are they arsed if you take their plugs apart?

Probably because they don't want unqualified idiots like me opening them up and messing around with the electricity.

Of course it won't stop idiots like me, we have wire cutters, so we just can't put the switch back in later if we wanted to.

Ferris

I was just about to type out that they are security screws and likely self-tappers, but you'll need a drill press and screw-grabber thing to pull them out.

The noticed I'd said exactly the same thing 2+ years ago. I'm nothing if not consistent/tedious.

You are indeed correct it's done to keep simpletons away from electricity. You're also correct that committed simpletons will find a way, I've re-wired these in the past with zero fatalities to myself or others.

touchingcloth

It seems like it's more dangerous than the alternative to me. I know how to safely rewire a plug, but if something used screws like that rather than something compatible with a normal driver I could end up cracking the thing in my excitement to get it open and leaving myself with a reason to sue Ikea.

Incidentally, I have an aunt named Sue Ikea.