Author Topic: Film Grain  (Read 2191 times)

Shit Good Nose

• Several bags of balls
Re: Film Grain
« Reply #90 on: August 22, 2020, 11:36:10 AM »
Can they output HD too? My telly's HD but it makes sense to get one for future-proofing even if I don't upgrade my telly yet.

Yep - they'll also play DVDs.  Most UHD players will upscale DVD and standard blu to (something akin to) 4K.

« Reply #91 on: August 22, 2020, 11:49:24 AM »
Can they output HD too? My telly's HD but it makes sense to get one for future-proofing even if I don't upgrade my telly yet.

The players certainly can, play BRs and DVDs.

The TV is the real cost and a lot of the benefits of HDR and extended colour range will depend a lot on that, something at the cheaper end will mean you see a lot less benefit from them.

OLED is starting to become somewhat affordable and that allows for true blacks, my 55 inch LG C9 was just over £1000.

Shit Good Nose

• Several bags of balls
« Reply #92 on: August 22, 2020, 11:52:10 AM »
The TV is the real cost and a lot of the benefits of HDR and extended colour range will depend a lot on that, something at the cheaper end will mean you see a lot less benefit from them.

Yep, and this is where a decent OLED comes into its own (although screen burn is still an issue at the moment, even with the flagships).

OLED is starting to become somewhat affordable and that allows for true blacks, my 55 inch LG C9 was just over £1000.

That range of LGs are crackers and even though they're, what, 2-3 years old now (?) they're still beating OLEDs that have come out since.

« Reply #93 on: August 22, 2020, 12:00:03 PM »
Only problem is apemen tend to fondle its smooth surface.

Tags: