Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 11:21:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Film Grain

Started by Chedney Honks, August 14, 2020, 11:38:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 22, 2020, 11:32:36 AM
Can they output HD too? My telly's HD but it makes sense to get one for future-proofing even if I don't upgrade my telly yet.

Yep - they'll also play DVDs.  Most UHD players will upscale DVD and standard blu to (something akin to) 4K.

greenman

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 22, 2020, 11:32:36 AM
Can they output HD too? My telly's HD but it makes sense to get one for future-proofing even if I don't upgrade my telly yet.

The players certainly can, play BRs and DVDs.

The TV is the real cost and a lot of the benefits of HDR and extended colour range will depend a lot on that, something at the cheaper end will mean you see a lot less benefit from them.

OLED is starting to become somewhat affordable and that allows for true blacks, my 55 inch LG C9 was just over £1000.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: greenman on August 22, 2020, 11:49:24 AM
The TV is the real cost and a lot of the benefits of HDR and extended colour range will depend a lot on that, something at the cheaper end will mean you see a lot less benefit from them.

Yep, and this is where a decent OLED comes into its own (although screen burn is still an issue at the moment, even with the flagships).

Quote from: greenman on August 22, 2020, 11:49:24 AM
OLED is starting to become somewhat affordable and that allows for true blacks, my 55 inch LG C9 was just over £1000.

That range of LGs are crackers and even though they're, what, 2-3 years old now (?) they're still beating OLEDs that have come out since.

greenman

Only problem is apemen tend to fondle its smooth surface.