Author Topic: Best 4K/UHD Movies  (Read 1574 times)

Shit Good Nose

• Several bags of balls
Re: Best 4K/UHD Movies
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2020, 03:05:07 PM »
I won't argue with your subjective opinion about the film itself, but...

I found it to be grainy, poorly focused, just generally dull looking. The only half decent bit was the phosphor explosions along the river.

I think you need a new TV/calibrate your existing one properly.  Or glasses.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 03:27:06 PM by Shit Good Nose »

« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2020, 05:20:07 PM »
Apoc Now isn't a film that has a great deal of extra detail on UHD but I think HDR and especially superior colour help a lot.

« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2020, 10:13:59 AM »
Speaking of Nam Full Metal Jacket out on UHD now, watched it last night and whilst the opening sections nature means it doesn't look that different the second half with those burning hellscapes does benefit a lot.

Puce Moment

• Hi guys
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2020, 11:33:04 AM »
The recent Tarkovsky upgrades look lush as fuck. Mirror is just amazing to look at, Solaris is massively improved (those opening scenes in particular) but it is perhaps The Sacrifice, the film I probably least adore amongst his filmography, that seems to have had the most profound improvement. Those dark indoor scenes really sparkle now.

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2020, 01:14:33 PM »
I don't believe those have come out on 4K/UHD though, there 4k restorations released on HD, I'v been meaning to get hold of The Sacrfice especially though having heard a lot of praise for the new version.

Puce Moment

• Hi guys
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2020, 01:31:33 PM »
Oh, I thought the Artificial Eye blu-ray boxset is remastered to 4k, and the Criterion boxset as well. I'm probably wrong!

QDRPHNC

• Golden Member
  • "A soupçon of pizzazz."
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2020, 01:34:03 PM »
Oh, I thought the Artificial Eye blu-ray boxset is remastered to 4k, and the Criterion boxset as well. I'm probably wrong!

It's confusing.

A 4k remaster on Blu-ray isn't the same as a 4k UHD Blu-ray.

Puce Moment

• Hi guys
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2020, 01:34:51 PM »
It's confusing.

A 4k remaster on Blu-ray isn't a 4k release.

I love cinema. I adore it - but I am also quite technically ignorant. Thank you!

Shit Good Nose

• Several bags of balls
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2020, 03:50:39 PM »
Criterion teased their first UHD release a couple of years ago, but now have a "fuck off and do one" attitude towards UHD because they don't think the format has much longevity (take-up in the West has been even less than laserdisc was) and therefore isn't economically viable.  However, they'll no doubt be keeping a close eye on Arrow's upcoming UHD release of Cronenberg's Crash to see how sales compare to their own standard blu release.  Criterion's main competitors in the States - Kino Lorber and Shout/Scream Factory - are also getting in on the UHD game, as are some much smaller boutique labels, so they may well look at UHD again in the near future. 

Regardless, they aren't the label they once were - more often than not these days theirs is the weaker release in terms of picture and sound quality and extras.  Their only real USP now is when they have exclusive distribution rights for a particular title, or when they have something which is cut in other territories.

QDRPHNC

• Golden Member
  • "A soupçon of pizzazz."
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2020, 04:15:16 PM »
Admittedly, I'm no longer the film buff I once was, and these days only buy my absolute favourite movies on disc, but yes, I've had that feeling about Criterion for a number of years now. Used to be one of their releases was kind of an event, and there was no question that you were getting the best possible version of a particular film.

It's odd that they haven't embraced UHD BR, as their support of a niche product in LD was what made them what they are.

Sebastian Cobb

• bad opinion haver
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2020, 04:16:49 PM »
They're probably focusing on their streaming platform then.

« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2020, 05:19:45 PM »
Criterion teased their first UHD release a couple of years ago, but now have a "fuck off and do one" attitude towards UHD because they don't think the format has much longevity (take-up in the West has been even less than laserdisc was) and therefore isn't economically viable.  However, they'll no doubt be keeping a close eye on Arrow's upcoming UHD release of Cronenberg's Crash to see how sales compare to their own standard blu release.  Criterion's main competitors in the States - Kino Lorber and Shout/Scream Factory - are also getting in on the UHD game, as are some much smaller boutique labels, so they may well look at UHD again in the near future. 

Regardless, they aren't the label they once were - more often than not these days theirs is the weaker release in terms of picture and sound quality and extras.  Their only real USP now is when they have exclusive distribution rights for a particular title, or when they have something which is cut in other territories.

I suspect part of it is they think starting with UHD releases will damage the status of their bluray catalog, Arrow were relatively late to the party with UHD as well with a lot of smaller labels jumping first.

Some labels like say Indicator I think there dealing with cinema where most people are probably happy with a good BR but Criterion do have the rights to a lot of stuff like say Stalker which I think there would be a significant demand for UHD.

I can't remember were I heard it but there was some vague rumours about Kalatozov's I Am Cuba being their first UHD.

Shit Good Nose

• Several bags of balls
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2020, 05:33:34 PM »
I can't remember were I heard it but there was some vague rumours about Kalatozov's I Am Cuba being their first UHD.

There have been loads of titles rumoured as their first ever since they cryptically teased it at some industry thing - Crash (ironically), several Kurosawas or even a 4K re-release of their AK 100 box set, Citizen Kane and/or King Kong (as a nod to the very first films they released), and more recently The Killer and/or Hard Boiled (two old Criterion DVDs that have long gone for hundreds on eBay).

Despite what they say, I'm sure they will dip their toes in sooner or later - I've lost count of the number of times they've said "we're DEFINITELY not releasing such and such a title on blu-ray" only for them to go and release it a few years later.

« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2020, 09:21:39 PM »
With things like Crash and The Elephant Man I believe the issue is as much about rights holders being different in the US, studios who don't licence out UHD rights to others.

Tags: