Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 10:28:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Best 4K/UHD Movies

Started by Chedney Honks, August 15, 2020, 02:53:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shit Good Nose

I won't argue with your subjective opinion about the film itself, but...

Quote from: Starlit on September 16, 2020, 01:15:01 AM
I found it to be grainy, poorly focused, just generally dull looking. The only half decent bit was the phosphor explosions along the river.

I think you need a new TV/calibrate your existing one properly.  Or glasses.

greenman

Apoc Now isn't a film that has a great deal of extra detail on UHD but I think HDR and especially superior colour help a lot.

greenman

Speaking of Nam Full Metal Jacket out on UHD now, watched it last night and whilst the opening sections nature means it doesn't look that different the second half with those burning hellscapes does benefit a lot.

Puce Moment

The recent Tarkovsky upgrades look lush as fuck. Mirror is just amazing to look at, Solaris is massively improved (those opening scenes in particular) but it is perhaps The Sacrifice, the film I probably least adore amongst his filmography, that seems to have had the most profound improvement. Those dark indoor scenes really sparkle now.

greenman

I don't believe those have come out on 4K/UHD though, there 4k restorations released on HD, I'v been meaning to get hold of The Sacrfice especially though having heard a lot of praise for the new version.

Puce Moment

Oh, I thought the Artificial Eye blu-ray boxset is remastered to 4k, and the Criterion boxset as well. I'm probably wrong!

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Puce Moment on September 21, 2020, 01:31:33 PM
Oh, I thought the Artificial Eye blu-ray boxset is remastered to 4k, and the Criterion boxset as well. I'm probably wrong!

It's confusing.

A 4k remaster on Blu-ray isn't the same as a 4k UHD Blu-ray.

Puce Moment

Quote from: QDRPHNC on September 21, 2020, 01:34:03 PM
It's confusing.

A 4k remaster on Blu-ray isn't a 4k release.

I love cinema. I adore it - but I am also quite technically ignorant. Thank you!

Shit Good Nose

Criterion teased their first UHD release a couple of years ago, but now have a "fuck off and do one" attitude towards UHD because they don't think the format has much longevity (take-up in the West has been even less than laserdisc was) and therefore isn't economically viable.  However, they'll no doubt be keeping a close eye on Arrow's upcoming UHD release of Cronenberg's Crash to see how sales compare to their own standard blu release.  Criterion's main competitors in the States - Kino Lorber and Shout/Scream Factory - are also getting in on the UHD game, as are some much smaller boutique labels, so they may well look at UHD again in the near future. 

Regardless, they aren't the label they once were - more often than not these days theirs is the weaker release in terms of picture and sound quality and extras.  Their only real USP now is when they have exclusive distribution rights for a particular title, or when they have something which is cut in other territories.

QDRPHNC

Admittedly, I'm no longer the film buff I once was, and these days only buy my absolute favourite movies on disc, but yes, I've had that feeling about Criterion for a number of years now. Used to be one of their releases was kind of an event, and there was no question that you were getting the best possible version of a particular film.

It's odd that they haven't embraced UHD BR, as their support of a niche product in LD was what made them what they are.

Sebastian Cobb

They're probably focusing on their streaming platform then.

greenman

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 21, 2020, 03:50:39 PM
Criterion teased their first UHD release a couple of years ago, but now have a "fuck off and do one" attitude towards UHD because they don't think the format has much longevity (take-up in the West has been even less than laserdisc was) and therefore isn't economically viable.  However, they'll no doubt be keeping a close eye on Arrow's upcoming UHD release of Cronenberg's Crash to see how sales compare to their own standard blu release.  Criterion's main competitors in the States - Kino Lorber and Shout/Scream Factory - are also getting in on the UHD game, as are some much smaller boutique labels, so they may well look at UHD again in the near future. 

Regardless, they aren't the label they once were - more often than not these days theirs is the weaker release in terms of picture and sound quality and extras.  Their only real USP now is when they have exclusive distribution rights for a particular title, or when they have something which is cut in other territories.

I suspect part of it is they think starting with UHD releases will damage the status of their bluray catalog, Arrow were relatively late to the party with UHD as well with a lot of smaller labels jumping first.

Some labels like say Indicator I think there dealing with cinema where most people are probably happy with a good BR but Criterion do have the rights to a lot of stuff like say Stalker which I think there would be a significant demand for UHD.

I can't remember were I heard it but there was some vague rumours about Kalatozov's I Am Cuba being their first UHD.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: greenman on September 22, 2020, 05:19:45 PM
I can't remember were I heard it but there was some vague rumours about Kalatozov's I Am Cuba being their first UHD.

There have been loads of titles rumoured as their first ever since they cryptically teased it at some industry thing - Crash (ironically), several Kurosawas or even a 4K re-release of their AK 100 box set, Citizen Kane and/or King Kong (as a nod to the very first films they released), and more recently The Killer and/or Hard Boiled (two old Criterion DVDs that have long gone for hundreds on eBay).

Despite what they say, I'm sure they will dip their toes in sooner or later - I've lost count of the number of times they've said "we're DEFINITELY not releasing such and such a title on blu-ray" only for them to go and release it a few years later.

greenman

With things like Crash and The Elephant Man I believe the issue is as much about rights holders being different in the US, studios who don't licence out UHD rights to others.

Glebe

UHD 4K LOTR and Hobbit Announced! A Special Message from Sean Astin.

Rumours of this have been floating around for some time now. I don't actually have a 4K TV (I have an Xbox One, so I guess I have 4K player).

greenman

Quote from: Glebe on October 09, 2020, 08:05:13 AM
UHD 4K LOTR and Hobbit Announced! A Special Message from Sean Astin.

Rumours of this have been floating around for some time now. I don't actually have a 4K TV (I have an Xbox One, so I guess I have 4K player).

Just having both cuts of the films in UHD is nice as well, already have as many extras as I want for them on previous releases so don't have to pay to buy them again.

JamesTC

The 4K of the Back to the Future trilogy came out this week. Mine arrived last Friday and I watched them all in one evening. Would highly recommend it to any BTTF fan with 4K players.

Back to the Future was a little rough in a couple of night scenes but mostly looked great. Back to the Future 2 and 3 just looked absolutely incredible.

For a series which has looked awful on DVD/Blu-Ray, it is nice to finally have a great version.

Glebe

Quote from: JamesTC on October 22, 2020, 07:27:16 PM
The 4K of the Back to the Future trilogy came out this week. Mine arrived last Friday and I watched them all in one evening. Would highly recommend it to any BTTF fan with 4K players.

Back to the Future was a little rough in a couple of night scenes but mostly looked great. Back to the Future 2 and 3 just looked absolutely incredible.

For a series which has looked awful on DVD/Blu-Ray, it is nice to finally have a great version.

Still don't have a 4K telly but saw the reviews of them on Bluray.com. Everyone on CaB should chip in a fiver to get me a 4K telly for Christmas, it's only fair.

Menu

Quote from: Glebe on October 23, 2020, 12:29:55 AM
Still don't have a 4K telly but saw the reviews of them on Bluray.com. Everyone on CaB should chip in a fiver to get me a 4K telly for Christmas, it's only fair.

4K bluray is definitely worth it. Knocks your socks off.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: JamesTC on October 22, 2020, 07:27:16 PM

Nice to hear this - it's why I've NEVER upgraded these from laserdisc (despite being slightly cropped).

Chedney Honks

Seen some corkers recently, nothing we won't all be very familiar with but I can warmly recommend:

2001 - just seems magnificent, remarkable detail and a perfectly filmic physicality. The HDR implementation is really gorgeous. I'm not a massive fan of the movie but it gripped me this time.

Matrix Trilogy - again, not a massive fan of the movies, find them quite cringeworthy these days, but these look better than I have remember in the cinema. The green tinge also seems very subtle, beautifully done. They're of their time but unmistakably The Matrix in every shot.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - big ol' grain so if you don't like that or find it distracting, this will be quite bad, but otherwise this is another where the detail and richness of the image is frankly magnificent. The costumes and greenery are really wonderful.

greenman

Only watched the first Matrix that largely removes the heavy green tint that was introduced on the DVD, does benefit from being mostly live action as well so offers quite alot of extra detail.

Wonder what will happen with the LOTR films in terms of the colour grading, hopefully something a bit more subtle.

Glebe

Quote from: greenman on October 23, 2020, 04:43:15 PMWonder what will happen with the LOTR films in terms of the colour grading, hopefully something a bit more subtle.

Hopefully they'll correct the teal layer on Fellowship. Again, not got a 4K TV meself (as yet).

QDRPHNC

I really want BTTF on UHD, but at $75... maybe I'm just getting old, but I can't help but question how many more times I'm going to watch movies I know inside and out.

JamesTC

Quote from: QDRPHNC on October 23, 2020, 07:43:10 PM
I really want BTTF on UHD, but at $75... maybe I'm just getting old, but I can't help but question how many more times I'm going to watch movies I know inside and out.

I reserve 4K for my favourite films aside from the odd opportunity to pick up a film I've not seen for cheap on 4K.

Seen BTTF loads and will watch it loads more in the future. I'm happy to pay a premium when I know that the version I'll be buying is the best that these films will ever possibly look.

Mr_Simnock

I remember watching BTTF on my 4K TV some time last year. I hadn't seen the film for some years and I was quite shocked at just how much more I noticed in each scene seeing it in HD on a 55" TV, felt like I was watching the film for the first time again, brilliant.

greenman

Only watched the original BTTF so far but that is maybe the biggest upgrade from the old sources I'v seen on UHD. Part of it is a much better master I spose but it is also better suited for the medium than I remembered, quite a few night scenes, lots of detailed tech gubbins and the bright 50's colours.

Seems like Dean Cundy is the most UHD friendly cinematographer.

Quote from: Glebe on October 23, 2020, 07:20:18 PM
Hopefully they'll correct the teal layer on Fellowship. Again, not got a 4K TV meself (as yet).

I suspect it will still be there to some degree but perhaps more subtly done? what comes to mind is the Matrix, the UHD does still have some of the green layer but its handled much better than the old DVD version, I'm guessing because the tech is now much more advanced.

Glebe

Quote from: greenman on October 26, 2020, 08:27:48 PMI suspect it will still be there to some degree but perhaps more subtly done? what comes to mind is the Matrix, the UHD does still have some of the green layer but its handled much better than the old DVD version, I'm guessing because the tech is now much more advanced.

Very belated reply to this (sorry!), Fellowship looked like it'd had a green layer put on for the BD release. Will be interesting to see what the verdict is on the 4K.

The Ladykillers 4K Blu-ray.

Gets full marks there, one of my favourite movies... as I said before I actually don't have a 4K TV... if and when I can afford a new telly I'll be right on it!

greenman

I'll probably pick the Ladykillers up when they do a standard release, their version of Total Recall(the Arnie one of course) comes out tomorrow as well.

Again I'd hope that Fellowship will take advantage on the technology around colour tinting improving, back then it seemed like the tint was much more universal were as more recently it can be limited more to certain parts of the frame. Blade Runner for example still has a bit of a teal push to the Final Cut UHD but its not as strong and not across the entire frame as much, especially on peoples faces. Jackson did obviously want the green tint so I dobut he'll dump it entirely.

Glebe

Quote from: greenman on November 22, 2020, 02:32:50 PMI'll probably pick the Ladykillers up when they do a standard release, their version of Total Recall(the Arnie one of course) comes out tomorrow as well.

Again I'd hope that Fellowship will take advantage on the technology around colour tinting improving, back then it seemed like the tint was much more universal were as more recently it can be limited more to certain parts of the frame. Blade Runner for example still has a bit of a teal push to the Final Cut UHD but its not as strong and not across the entire frame as much, especially on peoples faces. Jackson did obviously want the green tint so I dobut he'll dump it entirely.

Their was a lot of controversy when it was released, The Two Towers and The Return of the King did not appear to be tampered with in this way.