Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:44:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Anyone skipped any major familial events due to quarantine restrictions lately?

Started by peanutbutter, August 15, 2020, 07:39:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanutbutter

Update:
Have been explicitly told I have to do the full 2 weeks regardless of legal expectations, in the one location, as some old people are coming
They haven't offered a place, but they've offered to reimburse me for my accommodation; I'm financially okay enough (29 with about 75% of my current annual salary in savings) that I don't feel like that's worth the "I had to pay for you to come to my wedding" bullshit I may endure decades in the future from it
They have not said I don't have to come, hasn't been hinted at as an option.

I shouldn't go, but that's more likely to bite me on the arse than anyone else, so I will. Weddings are a colossal load of bollocks.

Quote from: buttgammon on August 16, 2020, 10:17:47 AM
There were 200 new cases in Ireland yesterday, the most since May; I wouldn't expect this wedding to go ahead as planned anyway, to be honest.
Ireland's whole policy at the moment looks a fucking mess, so fingers crossed. Couldn't give a shit if I'm out money, just want the two weeks.

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on August 17, 2020, 01:58:50 PM
I missed my dads funeral.
I could skip a funeral tbh, it's the political shit of a wedding that's an issue. My family would understand, fuck knows what kind of way it'll warp in the spouse's mind over time and fuck knows how much I'll have to deal with them

Quote from: falafel on August 24, 2020, 08:19:39 AM
No it fucking doesn't
See above, politics, the fact this thing is going ahead as is is enough to suspect these people may be difficult

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on August 24, 2020, 02:01:37 PM
If they have two to pick from, can you not use the other?
Been told I can't use the loophole, haven't been offered it so I assume it's either rented out or they don't trust me

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 26, 2020, 10:56:46 AM
Any chance you could stay in one of the close relative's two spare houses? If not I'd sack it off.
Been offered one place by an aunt but it's in the arsehole of nowhere with no phone reception and no internet, so I'd have to take annual leave.

Small Man Big Horse

Just tell them you don't want to attend large social gatherings as you don't want to die, and if they argue call them murdering cunts and never speak to them again.

Sin Agog

I've skipped familial events going on a few metres away in the little garden because I can't be fucked.

Jockice

Quote from: Jockice on August 19, 2020, 05:20:03 PM
Not as yet but one of my uncles (one of only two remaining and by far the one I'm closest to) is seriously ill. He's in a care home in Scotland so I don't know if I'll ever get the chance to see him again. Which is shit.

Well he died yesterday, so I didn't get the chance to see him. Which is also shit. But at least his son and other close family members were allowed to be at his bedside. Not even sure if I'll be able to go to the funeral. I will if I can.

Jockice

Quote from: Jockice on September 15, 2020, 11:05:06 AM
Well he died yesterday, so I didn't get the chance to see him. Which is also shit. But at least his son and other close family members were allowed to be at his bedside. Not even sure if I'll be able to go to the funeral. I will if I can.

And as I was typing that I got a message. The funeral's at 9am on Saturday morning. Two days after my birthday. Great.

wooders1978

Hangover would have cleared by then

Sorry about your news Jockice, it was good he had family with him though, you hear such sad stories of people passing alone during all of this - I know how you must feel as I am very close to my uncle - RIP to the big man

Jockice

Quote from: wooders1978 on September 15, 2020, 11:59:03 AM
Hangover would have cleared by then

Sorry about your news Jockice, it was good he had family with him though, you hear such sad stories of people passing alone during all of this - I know how you must feel as I am very close to my uncle - RIP to the big man

Cheers mate. I actually was planning to get drunk on my birthday for once. The original plan was go to my girlfriend's (an hour and a bit's drive away) and stay overnight. I rarely drink but was in the mood to do so this week. But now I'll be coming back home in the evening and then travelling up to Scotland on Friday morning, picking my sister up on the way.  Still, can't be helped..