Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:05:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

An Alternative History of "Pop" Music

Started by jamiefairlie, August 15, 2020, 09:27:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: daf on December 04, 2020, 09:59:29 PM
Ha - No, complete coincidence!

(To be honest, they could be gargling the National Anthem here - I just liked the sound of the band name!)

Actually, in hindsight, it was me who sub-consciously thought of The Drones red-haired girl because of your Cherry Vanilla nomination. The power of suggestion! As the REAL Harry Hill used to say.

jamiefairlie

The Stranglers - Hanging Around

https://youtu.be/d4piHt4jvG4

Second appearance, this is from their debut album Rattus Norvegicus, released in April and recorded in December 76.

daf

Mary Monday - I Gave My Punk Jacket To Rickie

Released in 1977 - did not chart

QuoteFormer stripper Mary Monday had a life shrouded in mystery, and conflicting reports in the historic documentation as to the band and Mary's origins are still baffling punkologists to this day, including her mysterious death a few years after this single's release.

As legend goes, she arrived in San Francisco from Vancouver in 1976 with green hair and put together a band that played around the Filipino cabaret scene at the Mabuhay Gardens in 1976. In August of 1976, when The Ramones made their first West Coast appearances, the opening band for their big San Francisco debut show upstairs at the Savoy Tivoli was Mary Monday & the Bitches.

The band were occasionally joined on stage by Vermilion Sands, a writer for American Punk magazine Search & Destroy. With her trademark unfettered knockers under a leather biker jacket, she moved to the UK and released two flop singles.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: jamiefairlie on December 05, 2020, 04:56:13 PM
The Stranglers - Hanging Around

https://youtu.be/d4piHt4jvG4

Second appearance, this is from their debut album Rattus Norvegicus, released in April and recorded in December 76.

Good choice, JF, but wow, I always assumed Hangin' Around was released as a single but I see in their discography it wasn't.

Brundle-Fly

Ride On Josephine - George Thorogood & The Destroyers. Released on Rounder in 1977

The voice that Bobby Gillespie believes in his head he has.

George Thorogood (born February 24, 1950) is an American musician, singer and songwriter from Wilmington, Delaware.[1] His "high-energy boogie-blues" sound became a staple of 1980s rock radio, with hits like his original songs "Bad to the Bone" and "I Drink Alone".[2] He has also helped to popularize older songs by American icons, such as "Move It on Over", "Who Do You Love?", and "House Rent Blues/One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_FD3bvjfDs&feature=emb_logo

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on December 05, 2020, 07:27:24 PM
Good choice, JF, but wow, I always assumed Hangin' Around was released as a single but I see in their discography it wasn't.

Surprising isn't it?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: jamiefairlie on December 05, 2020, 07:52:25 PM
Surprising isn't it?

I reckon I thought that because of its inclusion on the essential, The Collection 1977–1982 LP.  Somebody missed a trick there.

daf

Tom Scott - Gotcha (Theme From "Starsky & Hutch")

Released in September 1977 - did not chart

QuoteStarsky & Hutch was an American action television series broadcast from April 1975 to May 1979 on the ABC network. The series' protagonists were two Southern California police detectives: David Michael Starsky - played by Paul Michael Glaser - a U.S. Army veteran, with a street-wise manner and intense, sometimes childlike moodiness; and Kenneth Richard "Hutch" Hutchinson (David Soul), the divorced, blond, Duluth, Minnesota, native with a more reserved and intellectual approach. Much of the series was shot on location in the Los Angeles beach community of San Pedro.

The first season of the show had a dark and ominous theme written by Lalo Schifrin that seemed to fit the hard action and violence of the season; the main title version was edited down from the chase climax cue of his score for the pilot episode (the climax contains the shot of Hutch leaping off a fire escape and landing on his car which appears in the opening titles of all subsequent episodes). This was replaced for the second season by a Tom Scott written theme entitled "Gotcha". For the third season, a more dramatic theme, written by Mark Snow, was used that highlighted the show's move to more socially conscious and light-hearted stories.

daf

Ivor Cutler - Jungle Tip : Owl

Recorded live at the 3rd Eye Centre, Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow in July 1977, and featured on the album 'Life in a Scotch Sitting Room, Vol. 2' - released in 1978.

QuoteIsadore Cutler was born in Govan, Glasgow, into a middle-class Jewish family of Eastern European descent. He cited his childhood as the source of his artistic temperament, recalling a sense of displacement when his younger brother was born: "Without that I would not have been so screwed up as I am, and therefore not as creative."

Cutler began writing songs and poetry in the late 1950s, making the first of many appearances on BBC radio on the Home Service, where he featured on the Monday Night at Home programme on 38 occasions between 1959 and 1963. He gained popularity playing songs where he would often accompany himself on either a piano or the harmonium. Cutler appeared in the pop musical film It's All Over Town in 1964, and continued to make appearances on the BBC's programmes during the 1960s, and as a result of an appearance on the television show Late Night Line-Up, he was noticed by Paul McCartney, who invited Cutler to appear in The Beatles' Magical Mystery Tour film.

Following this film role, Cutler continued to perform for BBC radio, recording the first of his sessions for John Peel in 1969. Cutler's work on Peel's shows would introduce him to successive generations of fans, and in the early 1990s.

Ivor Cutler : "Thanks to Peel, I gained a whole new audience, to the amazement of my older fans, who find themselves among 16-to-35s in theatres, and wonder where they came from."

Cutler used his sessions for John Peel to introduce numerous episodes of his 'Life in a Scotch Sitting Room' series, culminating in the 1978 LP 'Life in a Scotch Sitting Room, Vol. 2', regarded as a particularly autobiographical work, on which Cutler recounts tales from his childhood amid an environment of exaggerated Scottishness.

Phil_A

Sandy Denny - All Our Days
Sandy Denny - All Our Days (Home Demo)

Sandy Denny's final studio album "Rendevouz" was a somewhat ill-advised and over-produced bid for commercial appeal, but it does contain this staggeringly poignant symphonic mini-epic which can't help but feel like a cap to Denny's tragically short-lived career.

Swell Maps - Black Velvet

A quick slug of Solihull's finest. B-side of their 1977 single 'Read About Seymour'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSyjDqx5uSg

QuoteInfluenced by bands such as T Rex and Can they created a new soundscape that would be heavily mined by others in the post-punk era. Despite existing in various forms since 1972, Swell Maps only really came together as a musical entity after the birth of British punk. 

The band consisted of Solihull based teenagers Epic Soundtracks (real name Kevin Paul Godfrey), his brother Nikki Sudden (real name Adrian Nicholas Godfrey), Jowe Head (Stephen Bird), Biggles Books (Richard Scaldwell), Phones Sportsman (David Barrington) and John "Golden" Cockrill, the band cut the single "Read About Seymour" as their debut in 1977.

After releasing two albums and four singles they disbanded in 1980. Epic Soundtracks died of unknown causes at the age of 38 in 1997 and Nikki Sudden died at the age of 49 in March 2006, in a hotel room in New York City.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Alternative TV - You Bastard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIi5xWFJcgQ

"A lot of punk was really excellent, and there are some excellent records that have stood the test of time excellently, like this excellent one, You Bastard, from the excellent ATV. Excellent... excellent... zzzzzz..." - John Past-Bedtime, 1994.

QuoteAlternative TV (sometimes known as ATV) are an English band formed in London in 1977. They were formed by Mark Perry, the founding editor of punk fanzine Sniffin' Glue. The name is a play on the name of Associated Television, a British broadcaster also known as ATV. Early rehearsals took place at Throbbing Gristle's Industrial Records studio with Genesis P-Orridge on drums. In December 1977 they released the How Much Longer/You Bastard 7". The A-side was a pointed critique of punk style: "How much longer will people wear/Nazi armbands and dye their hair?"

Brundle-Fly

Sunday - Paul Nicholas. Released on RSO in 1977

Well, it is a Sunday.  Fans of Chart Music Podcast might enjoy this.

I can just hear Taylor Parkes witheringly imitating the opening line  "When you wake up in MAWN-NIN', in the suit that you were BAWN-NIN'".

Paul Nicholas started his career in the 60's supporting Screaming Lord Sutch And The Savages on the stage, as Paul Dean And The Dreamers. Then he adopted the nickname Oscar releasing some singles in the late '60s, before starting recording with his name Paul Nicholas. He enjoyed a run of UK hits on RSO with 'Reggae Like It Used To Be', 'Dancing With The Captain' and the novelty Christmas hit 'Grandma's Party', before having a top three hit in the US with 'Heaven On The Seventh Floor', which won an Ivor Novello Award nomination for best lyric for its writers Bugatti & Musker, who wrote all his hits. Paul Nicholas has had considerable success on stage, screen and in the pop charts, especially for stage productions of Andrew Lloyd Webber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRU7Toyj40g

daf

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on December 06, 2020, 04:27:50 PM
Sunday - Paul Nicholas. Released on RSO in 1977

I mean just look at him, with his stupid singer in Flintlock face.

bigfatheart

Be nice, he had a serious bout of reggae pneumonia.

sirhenry

Patrik Fitzgerald is an English singer-songwriter and an originator of folk punk. The son of working-class Irish immigrant parents, he began recording and performing during the early days of punk in 1977.
His early songs were generally short, sarcastic efforts, recorded with just an acoustic guitar and occasional studio effects, with lyrics containing a large amount of social comment. Fitzgerald was soon regarded as an original of his genre, somewhere between a punk-poet and an urban folksinger, and was lauded in some circles as "the new Bob Dylan".
He reinvented himself a few times, moved to New Zealand and toured and recorded with Attila the Stockbroker in 2006 and 2007. No idea what he's doing now.

This track is off his excellent first EP: Safety Pin Stuck in my Heart from '77.

jamiefairlie

Television - Elevation

https://youtu.be/s4s5bj5fZO8

From their acclaimed debut, Marquee Moon, released in February and recorded in September 76.

Formed in Noo Yoik in 1973 by Tom Verlaine, Richard Lloyd, Billy Ficca, and Richard Hell, they were key figures in the early US punk scene, alongside Blondie, Talking Heads and The Ramones.

Hell left in 75 to form The Heartbreakers with ex-New York Doll Johnny Thunders and, after that, he formed Richard Hell and the Voidoids.

Television split up after their second album in 1978.

daf

Sheila B. Devotion - Love Me Baby

Released in May 1977 - reached #3 in Italy, #9 in Germany, and #24 in The Netherlands

QuoteAnnie Chance started her musical career in 1962, after being noticed by Claude Carrère, a French record producer and songwriter. Her parents signed a contract with Carrère for her, when she was 16; the contract led to an artistic collaboration which lasted for more than 20 years. Her stage name came from the title of her first release, a French cover version of "Sheila", originally a single by Tommy Roe. Her first hit was "L'école est finie", in 1962 - which reached #1 in France, and sold 1 million copies.

After more than a decade of targeting the French teen music audience, mainly in French but also in Spanish, German and Italian, Sheila made a change in her career by releasing "Les Femmes (Qu'y a-t-il dans le cœur des femmes)", a song by Christine Charbonneau in 1976. The song climbed to number one and stayed in the chart for three months.

In 1977, she started singing in English as Sheila and B. Devotion (in some countries records were under the name "Sheila B. Devotion") and changed her style to disco music. Sheila was accompanied by three male dancers who made up the "Black Devotion" in her routine. She enjoyed international success with hits such as "Singin' in the Rain", "You Light my Fire" and "Spacer" - written and produced by Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards from Chic.

daf

Adrian Street - Breakin' Bones

Released in August 1977 - did not chart

QuoteAdrian Street was born in Brynmawr in Brecknockshire, Wales. Street's family was in the coal mining business – his father was a miner for 51 years. In his teenage years, he began bodybuilding, and left home at age 16. Inspired by American wrestlers Lou Thesz, Buddy Rogers and Don Leo Jonathan (from whom Street adopted his first moniker, Kid Tarzan Jonathan), he began his professional wrestling career in 1957. Later in his career, he developed his "Exotic" Adrian Street image, an outrageously-attired, effeminate character who was hinted but never outright-stated to be gay. This gimmick was born by accident as a result of him playing up to taunting from an audience one evening.

Adrian Street : "I was getting far more reaction than I'd ever got just playing this poof. My costumes started getting wilder."

His wrestling attire evolved to including pastels and glitter make up and clipping his bleached hair into mini-pigtails. As "The Exotic One" his signature move in the ring was to kiss opponents to escape being pinned down and to put make up on his opponents when they were disabled.

Working primarily as a 'heel', Street travelled all over the world including wrestling in Germany, Canada and Mexico. In the UK, he formed a tag partnership with fellow heel Bobby Barnes named 'The Hells Angels'. In 1969, Street met his future manager/valet and real-life wife Linda Gunthorpe Hawker - who wrestled in Britain in the 1970s as 'Blackfoot Sue'. Later in America, the two formed a double-act, 'Miss Linda' becoming one of professional wrestling's first female valets and frequently participating as an accomplice to Street's in-ring "shenanigans".

After retiring from full-time wrestling, Street ran the Skull Krushers Wrestling School in Gulf Breeze, Florida, until being forced to close doors following severe damage from Hurricane Ivan. After his last match on June 14, 2014, in Birmingham Alabama, Street estimated that during his career he had wrestled between 12,000 and 15,000 matches.

Quote from: bigfatheart on December 06, 2020, 06:01:15 PM
Be nice, he had a serious bout of reggae pneumonia.

He single-handedly kept reggae alive in the 1970s.

daf

XTC - Goodnight, Sucker

Hidden track released in October 1977 on the '3D • EP' 12 inch - did not chart

Quote3D • EP was released as a 12 inch record on 7 October 1977 through Virgin Records. Featuring two Andy Partridge numbers, 'Science Friction' and 'She So Square', that were also released on their own as a 7 inch single. The songs were recorded and mixed at Abbey Road Studios with production and engineering by John Leckie.  A unique collaboration between organist Barry Andrews and drummer Terry Chambers, 'Goodnight Sucker' is an impromptu duet featuring Barry's celeste and Terry's vocal, and follows bassist Colin Moulding's 'Dance Band' on the end of side 2 as a hidden unlisted bonus track.

Andy Partridge and Colin Moulding grew up on Penhill council estate in Swindon. At the age of 15, Partridge wrote his first song, titled "Please Help Me", and attracted the nickname "Rocky" for his early guitar mastery of the Beatles' "Rocky Raccoon". One of his first bands was called "Stiff Beach", formed in August 1970. In early 1972, Partridge's constantly evolving group settled into "Star Park", a four-piece that featured himself with guitarist Dave Cartner, drummer Paul Wilson, and a bassist nicknamed "Nervous Steve".

Partridge met Colin Moulding at the Stage Bar on Swindon's Old Town's Union Row. Moulding had been playing bass since 1970 : "because I thought that playing a bass, with four strings, would be infinitely easier than playing a guitar, with six strings. That was a horrible misconception!".  At the end of 1972, Moulding and drummer Terry Chambers joined Partridge's band, replacing Nervous Steve and Paul Wilson.

After Star Park opened for Thin Lizzy in May 1973, the band re-named themselves The Helium Kidz. NME ran a small profile on the "up and coming" band, which consisted of Partridge, Moulding, Chambers and guitarist Dave Cartner : "They aspire to attain the impossible dream of being able to throw a TV or two out of the window of an American hotel and have no one complain."

In 1975 it was decided that the band should have another name change. "The Dukes of Stratosphear" was considered, but Partridge thought it was too "flowery" and "psychedelic". Derived from Jimmy Durante's exclamation upon discovering the lost chord: "That's it! I'm in ecstasy!", the name 'XTC' was chosen mainly for its emphatic appearance in print.

Meanwhile, owing to creative differences with Partridge, synthesizer player Jonathan Perkins quit the band. In search of his replacement, Partridge found Barry Andrews via a 'Keyboardist wanted' small ad. Instead of a formal audition, the two went out drinking together. Hitting it off over several pints, Andrews was immediately hired.

Andy Partridge : "He sounded like Jon Lord from Deep Purple; fuzz box, wah wah pedal, bluesy runs. I said, You don't have to play like that, you can play like us if you want. The next rehearsal, he was like a maniac, like if Miró had played electric organ. Fantastic."

Brundle-Fly

King's Lead Hat - Brian Eno. Released on Polydor in 1977.

Talking of XTC, this man was a big influence on their sound,(Andy Paints Brian) so much so they asked him to produce their second album Go 2. Eno declined, telling them they were doing absolutely fine by themselves and didn't need his input.

Brian Peter George St John le Baptiste de la Salle Eno or Brian Eno is an alternative rock artist, electronic musician and producer. A former member of Roxy Music, he is also known for his multifaceted interests outside of music, especially technological. He was born 15 May 1948 in Woodbridge, Suffolk, UK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3PRnZZaY0I

jamiefairlie

Warsaw - No Love Lost

https://youtu.be/vld3Qgt4ECs

Formed in 1976 as another first wave punk band inspired by the Pistols, Warsaw were (from Salford & Macclesfield) Steve Morris on drums, Bernard Sumner on guitar, Peter Hook on bass and Ian Curtis on vocals.

Due to a clash with a short-lived London band, they were forced to change their name in January 1978. We shall hear more from these fellows I wager.

Brundle-Fly

Sling Your Hook - Chas & Dave. Released on EMI in 1977.

A song for a president. Wallop!

Chas & Dave (often billed as Chas 'n' Dave) were an English pop-rock duo, formed in London by Chas Hodges and Dave Peacock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOvuoCMSlcQ&feature=emb_logo

Fela Kuti - Zombie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj5x6pbJMyU

QuoteFela Kuti was a Nigerian multi-instrumentalist, bandleader, composer, political activist, and Pan-Africanist. He is best known as a pioneer of the Afrobeat genre, a blend of traditional yoruba and Afro-Cuban music with funk and jazz.

His Zombie album was a scathing attack on the methods of the Nigerian military. The album was a smash hit with the people but infuriated the government, setting off a vicious attack against the Kalakuta Republic (a commune that Fela had established in Nigeria), during which one thousand soldiers attacked the commune. Kuti was severely beaten, and his elderly mother was thrown from a window, causing fatal injuries. The Kalakuta Republic was burned, and Kuti's studio, instruments, and master tapes were destroyed. Kuti claimed that he would have been killed if it were not for the intervention of a commanding officer as he was being beaten.

Kuti's response to the attack was to deliver his mother's coffin to the main army barrack in Lagos and write two songs, Coffin for Head of State and Unknown Soldier, referencing the official inquiry that claimed the commune had been destroyed by an unknown soldier.

Brundle-Fly

Only on this thread, we can pogo from Mancunian post-punk miserablism to chirpy Cockney pub pop to Afro-Beat coruscation.

jamiefairlie

Wire - Ex Lion Tamer

https://youtu.be/6nE8DFaxd94

From their debut album Pink Flag, recorded in September and released in November.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on December 08, 2020, 06:12:32 PM
Only on this thread, we can pogo from Mancunian post-punk miserablism to chirpy Cockney pub pop to Afro-Beat coruscation.

great isn't it :-)

Gregory Torso

Best thread on the forum. Loving it. Keep up the good work. And what a page this is - Fela, Swell Maps, Wire, Eno and Chas N Dave.