Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:49:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Chris Morris being sincere

Started by magval, August 15, 2020, 10:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magval

I'm working my way through the 1FM shows at the minute and I'm so used to Chris Morris either presenting made-up comedy news as "Chris Morris" or making celebrities look foolish on Brass Eye that when the real Chris Morris has a genuinely honest opinion about something that isn't leading to a surprise punchline or setting up a Baynham bit, it catches me off guard.

His disdain for Oasis (who hadn't yet released their second album so must have been quite new) is sincere, for example. He can't resist mentioning which acts they've ripped off for that month's single, whichever track the playlist means he has to play.

He also seems to really like Ash and Beck. Rap music, too. Critical of REM's change of direction (same as Stewart Lee on his and Rich's 1FM shows), and has praise for They Might Be Giants coming back from an album he hated with something good.

I really like hearing him being earnest about music, it's like the only situation where you feel like you're getting a  real look at this guy who spends all his time pretending not to be himself in order to make you laugh.

What else do we know Chris Morris actually likes and hates?

magval

And also, tangentially related but not worth its own thread, is this question - Wayne Carr doesn't sound like wanker. Is THAT the joke? The shitness of the soundalike?

Thomas

QuoteWhat else do we know Chris Morris actually likes and hates?

I seem to recall, from those old shows, that he shed a tear when selling/scrapping an old car. He probably liked that car.

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: magval on August 15, 2020, 10:28:57 PM
And also, tangentially related but not worth its own thread, is this question - Wayne Carr doesn't sound like wanker. Is THAT the joke? The shitness of the soundalike?

I think so, there was a tradition where that sort of independent radio DJ would have a punning name - Atlantic 252 roster in particular. Although was the target Steve Wright?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I remember him declaring that Lenny Valentino by The Auteurs was his favourite single released that year (1994). He has good taste, LV is a banger.

Clownbaby

I was trying to find that clip on Youtube where he's reading out a list of things for Stewart Lee to clarify if they're satire or not and he starts sniggering while saying a particular one, but all I could find was this clip from the same thing, which doesn't really have any relevance to what I was saying but I still like the look he gives Stewart Lee while he's gan on about the deliberately convoluted pig semen thing. I wanted to put something. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18Jf38zTnLw I know it's a just a silly thing they're doing

Clownbaby

Quote from: magval on August 15, 2020, 10:28:57 PM

It always feels to me like it's deliberately going for that awkward American pronunciation of British insults as well as being the name pun, like how Americans seem to say ''twot'' instead of ''twat'', and when they try to say ''arsehole'' the way a British person would, in a joking way, instead of their ''asshole'', but it just ends up sounding a bit naff. Mebby a bit far-fetched but could be meant to faintly reference ''Nardwuar'', the way it sounds? I dunno. Don't think so though

FredNurke

'Twot' was a variant pronunciation in the 17th and 18th centuries, so presumably in American English that's the one that became fixed. Something similar happened with 'ass' (which is recorded in British English in the 17th century).

Clownbaby

Quote from: FredNurke on August 16, 2020, 08:09:22 PM
'Twot' was a variant pronunciation in the 17th and 18th centuries, so presumably in American English that's the one that became fixed. Something similar happened with 'ass' (which is recorded in British English in the 17th century).

The More You Know

Thomas

Quote from: Clownbaby on August 16, 2020, 07:17:01 PM
I was trying to find that clip on Youtube where he's reading out a list of things for Stewart Lee to clarify if they're satire or not and he starts sniggering while saying a particular one

It doesn't seem to be on YouTube any more, but I recall that the satirical scenario was 'George Clooney's blood-vein with a baby swordfish in it'.

Clownbaby

Quote from: Thomas on August 17, 2020, 12:21:52 AM
It doesn't seem to be on YouTube any more, but I recall that the satirical scenario was 'George Clooney's blood-vein with a baby swordfish in it'.

Oof that's the one!

Solid Jim

Quote from: magval on August 15, 2020, 10:28:15 PM
praise for They Might Be Giants coming back from an album he hated with something good.

For reference, this is in the 31/08/1994 episode:
They actually get a lot of flak, They Might Be Giants, for being an annoying joke band, which really misses the point. Because they're at their best when they're writing about something which seems to be quite sad, through a rather misty kind of elliptical lyric. Which I guess is actually why their last album was panned, because it was all about palindromes and skulls and rather missed the mark, but the new one out next month is more like it. It's called John Henry and that's from it, it's called The End of the Tour.

After a bit in the 26/10/1994 episode mocking some students, there is this moment of self-reflection:
Of course, I suffer from reactionary attacks. I was at a radio conference thing recently and, you know, there was an audience there asking questions, and these students put up their hands and said "Er, we think the BBC ought to allow more access to people like us. If you want to have decent staff then you ought to encourage people like us to come in." And I was going, "WHAT? People like YOU? People like you should NEVER be allowed anywhere near the BBC. Don't you understand that if you're gonna have the guts to do the job, you're gonna have to kick the door down first!?" And I was thinking, who is driving these words that are coming out of my mouth? I was one of them ten years ago, and now I'm sitting there saying "there should be NO training courses, no-one should be given ANY leg up, if you're worth any salt then you're just gonna get in yourself and you're gonna teach yourself how to blah, blah, blah..."

And I had this nightmare going on in my head that that's me saying that, that... ugh. And they were looking at me like, "you sad, old tosser."

Of course, I was right...

magval

I think those two moments are the exact two things that pushed me to start this thread. The former because it was clearly sincere and latter because it was so much harder to tell.

BJBMK2

The latter rant works wonderfully when backed by the hopeful, Britpoppy sound of Melodies Haunt You by Dodgy. Gives what he's saying a real energy, it's almost like hearing his political manifesto laid bare.

Noodle Lizard

He seems pretty sincere about his distrust/disdain for big tech companies and government organisations, or the melding of the two. I remember it coming up in one of the Adam Buxton podcasts, and I think a few recent print interviews have mentioned something about him using an old Nokia phone. Didn't someone on here mention having a conversation with him about not using Google or Amazon services as well?

In any event, it was hearing him speak about it that inspired me to look into it for myself, and change a few things in my life accordingly. I tell myself CaB doesn't count, even though it's transparently a UK-based equivalent of COINTELPRO.

thenoise

Chris Morris boycotts his own fansite?  That's probably healthy.

VelourSpirit

Quote from: magval on August 15, 2020, 10:28:15 PM
He can't resist mentioning which acts they've ripped off for that month's single, whichever track the playlist means he has to play.
He did a similar thing when he played a Pavement song, I think he said it ripped off the Pixies?

dex

Quote from: TwinPeaks on September 13, 2020, 03:47:14 AM
He did a similar thing when he played a Pavement song, I think he said it ripped off the Pixies?

Yeah, I remember when he played Jubilee by Blur and said it was terribly derivitive of David Bowie. Very true. Not my favourite of Blur songs.

Menu

I dunno. It's a pretty reductive way of looking at music. Nothing can sound like anything else and you mustn't be influenced by anyone.

flotemysost

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on August 18, 2020, 02:54:09 AM
He seems pretty sincere about his distrust/disdain for big tech companies and government organisations, or the melding of the two.

Think I've mentioned it here before, but he was at a local Extinction Rebellion talk I went to last year (it was a sort of introduction for curious newbies, which I was/am - I don't know if he's a member). Obviously not exactly a shocker that he might support their cause but I did a bit of a double-take (as subtly as possible) when he arrived.

dex

Quote from: Menu on September 15, 2020, 04:45:02 AM
Nothing can sound like anything else and you mustn't be influenced by anyone.

I don't subscribe to that view at all. I just thought CM was bang on the mark with that one example.

Crabwalk

From memory, it was 'Gold Soundz'. Not sure Pixies ever created anything as pretty as that, but I can see where he was coming from with Malkmus's vocal tone and the overall sound of the production.

I agree he likes rap--I'm fairly sure I've heard him play some tracks on Blue Jam. But is anyone aware of any particular artists he likes? Just curious.

dex

He played Scarface back in the Radio 1 days.

muddybug

Quote from: benjamin.reichman on October 09, 2020, 04:54:06 PM
I agree he likes rap--I'm fairly sure I've heard him play some tracks on Blue Jam. But is anyone aware of any particular artists he likes? Just curious.

Chris mentioned seeing Ice Cube live at some point on his Radio 1 show. He also played Gang Starr, De La Soul, Dr. Dre, Digable Planets, Gravediggaz, Public Enemy, Warren G, etc.

Shaky

He mentioned on Buxton's podcast that he only likes the first two Pixies albums, which surprised me as he used to play Frank Black's later solo stuff on his radio show.

Menu

Quote from: Shaky on November 02, 2020, 08:49:00 AM
He mentioned on Buxton's podcast that he only likes the first two Pixies albums, which surprised me as he used to play Frank Black's later solo stuff on his radio show.

So that's an example of him being INsincere?

Shaky

Quote from: Menu on November 02, 2020, 10:41:43 PM
So that's an example of him being INsincere?

Woah there, that would need a whole new thread.

Menu