Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:31:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

England has lost its mind

Started by Zetetic, August 15, 2020, 11:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zetetic

Dex Sawash

zetetic mentions the four nations

I'm sorry an Englishman slept with your wife, zetetic. I apologise on behalf of my nation.

Zetetic

I'm English, and so's my pseudo-wife.

Amongst other things.

Pink Gregory

I fear that it's just rediscovered itself and the last century was an aberration

jamiefairlie

...and it owes me a living (or at least a furlough payment)...erm I dont like foreigners...woah oh.. yodel

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Zetetic on August 16, 2020, 04:40:19 PM
I'm English, and so's my pseudo-wife.

Amongst other things.

I'm sorry an Englishman slept with your wife, zetetic.

Chedney Honks

I'm sorry a Welsh sleep with your wife 😂😂😂

Zetetic

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 16, 2020, 06:27:23 PM
I'm sorry an Englishman slept with your wife, zetetic.
It's okay. The least of all the issues.

earl_sleek

Quote from: Zetetic on August 16, 2020, 04:40:19 PM
my pseudo-wife.

Please tell me that's how you introduce her to people.

thenoise

Its quite impressive that we share an island with Scotchland and Sheepshagland and yet still manage to be the worst by a considerable margin.

Zetetic

"a miscommunication within DHSC"

Cuellar

What the hell is this all about - enough with gnomic pronouncements

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Cuellar on August 17, 2020, 09:58:53 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only gnome on CaB. Zetetic has more the visage of an Elfin Prince, though.

Old Thrashbarg

It's just Zetetic, continuing his incessant casual xenophobia.

Zetetic

Old Thrashbarg

Ok, fine. Overt. Overt xenophobia.

At least you didn't take issue with 'incessant'.

Zetetic

It's not xeno anything. This isn't a tabletop miniature wargame, it's people's lives.

Zetetic

Apologies for being unclear - it's about England.

Blumf

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53813480

Is there any real evidence against PHE? Because, from here, it seems most the bollocks came from Johnson and co.

Fambo Number Mive

Looks like the replacement for PHE will make a lot of private sector firms a lot richer:

QuoteTory Matt Hancock today heaped praise on private firms and urged them to "join us" as he announced a new health body.

The Health Secretary said one of the big lessons from coronavirus is that partnering up with corporate giants is "the best way through".

Imagine having a gushing Matt Hancock.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/gushing-matt-hancock-tells-private-22540268.amp

QuoteLaunching a new National Institute for Health Protection, Mr Hancock added the idea there is a "divide" between public and private sector "is for the birds".

Contract documents appear to show consulting giant McKinsey has already bagged £563,400 to help draw up plans for the new Institute...

Chedney Honks

This is is the guy who'll be in the history books.

Drinkypoos with Pfizer started the revolution.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on August 18, 2020, 07:57:30 PM
Looks like the replacement for PHE will make a lot of private sector firms a lot richer:

Imagine having a gushing Matt Hancock.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/gushing-matt-hancock-tells-private-22540268.amp

I just so happened to get an e-mail yesterday asking me to attend a webinar given by McKinsey. Hadn't heard about them before. Will now attend.

Fambo Number Mive

Dido Harding chosen to run the new agency.

jobotic

Interesting comment on the Guardian site (probably won't be there long)

QuoteWhispering_Ned
Whispering_Ned
29 minutes ago

With respect to the author of this article, it is a little more than merely an attempt in blame-shifting. It is an example of the cosy and incestuous relationships through which this country is run.

Dido Harding used to work for McKinsey, a large consulting firm much involved in NHS privatisation. The new National Institute for Health Protection will doubtless follow the same agenda. There will be no inconvenient questions about conflicts of interest, because the Tory anti-corruption chief is her husband.

On the other side of the House, Owen "Pfizer" Smith (remember his pathetic attempt to become Labour leader?) has gone back to work as a lobbyist for another large drugs firm. Starmer's Director of Communications was until recently a private healthcare lobbyist. (Benn Nunn, if you want to look him up). So the usual cosy arrangements are back in place. There are lots of nice consultancy jobs for people who have no moral compass and will not jib at doing unpleasant or even dishonest things. We will continue to see the evisceration of the NHS by the Tories and the complete abdication of the duty to protect it by Labour.

No wonder the recent attempts by Labour's left to begin creating a better system, "for the many not the few" were met with such ferocious attack-dog tactics, not only by the Tories and their press allies, but also, and more damagingly, from Labour's right wing. The attacks were not merely about policies and certainly not chiefly about personalities.

They were about very personal issues. That is what gave them their heat and their venom. They were about the personal incomes of the people making them. The attempt to put an honest man into No 10 threatened far too many cosy, incestuous and highly profitable arrangements enjoyed by the establishments of both main parties. Note, BOTH parties. That is important.

Try to put an honest man into No 10 with policies most people liked? What can the left have been thinking of? That is definitely not allowed. It is not how this country is run at all. So down with him, down with the whole project and back to business as usual. That is much more comfortable... well for the people who enjoy these nice consultancy jobs and the revolving door between politics and big private interests it is much more comfortable. For the rest of us it is maybe less so.

Zetetic

Congratulations to Deloitte for winning more testing work, despite their previous work in this area involving 1) invading other countries and 2) screwing up processing care home staff tests in a timely fashion (deliberately to begin with, and then simply by incompetence).

M-CORP

Quote from: Blumf on August 18, 2020, 02:55:14 PM

Is there any real evidence against PHE? Because, from here, it seems most the bollocks came from Johnson and co.

A quote from Public Health England's official blog: https://publichealthmatters.blog.gov.uk/2020/08/12/behind-the-headlines-counting-covid-19-deaths/

'For several months, the COVID-19 Data Dashboard has been reporting, for England, all deaths in people who have a positive test. This a robust measure as it uses the fact of a positive test and the fact of death to derive the number reported. However, it is only an approximation of the number of people who die from COVID-19 because other causes of death are included and some people who die from COVID-19 never had a positive test. It was decided to adopt this measure in April in order to be sure not to underestimate the number of COVID-19 related deaths. It was always intended to review the approach as the pandemic progressed.'

Basically, if someone suffering from COVID-19 then, say, died in a car crash (example used for argument's sake), their death was initially included in the daily figures. There was no distinction between deaths with Covid or deaths from Covid. I think that's the excuse that's being used against PHE to explain why they were shit at handling the whole situation. Certainly it wasn't a good idea to mislead people like that, but then I'd be surprised if we were the only country that counted deaths in this way, and I do agree that many more numerous and widely-reported cock-ups occurred in... other places, shall we say.

Also seems odd for the government to use just one incident as an excuse to get rid of a WHOLE SODDING GOVERNMENT DEPARTMENT when they only tend to get rid of them for being too expensive/annoying.