Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 10:05:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bream but not forgotten

Started by Smeraldina Rima, August 16, 2020, 02:10:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Julian Bream has died.

Julian Bream | Granada | Isaac Albéniz

Julian Bream - Dowland and the Lute

Julian Bream plays Nuages by Django Reinhardt

Julian Bream Plays Jazz In An After Hours Jam Session

Julian Bream in India (1963) Improvisation with Ali Akbar Khan On Sarod

Julian Bream plays for Stravinsky

QuoteI  was on tour in Toronto with a camera team and was asked would I like to meet Stravinsky and play him something on the lute and I said "Of course!" But when I got there the poor chap was just about to conduct the Symphony of Psalms in a recording session; they rolled me on and it was obvious that this was just not what he wanted. He was obviously annoyed and I don't blame him. I had total sympathy for him. But it was the most embarrassing moment of my career.

https://www.gramophone.co.uk/features/article/julian-bream-interview

Julian Bream arrangement of Ravel's Pavane pour une infante défunte

Johnboy

Yes, sad news, I hope they show that BBC comp again.

BlodwynPig

I thought he sounded familiar and looked on my iTunes and found this

However, this is clearly not THE Julian Bream, sounding like an 80s Free-festival anarcho-psychedelic-punk band

pupshaw

Bream sleeps with the fishes...

He seemed like a great chap though. Some bio says he played electric guitar too, that would have been interesting

Wish I had thought of that. Would have loved to hear him go electric too.

Blod's Julian Bream and his Freshwater Stream album has good song titles:

BlodwynPig

ah, club dog related. the album is all over the place in terms of styles, a bit Wizards of Twiddly, a bit Webcore, a bit parody music hall - where did you find the tracklist image? was it that head duster blog?

BlodwynPig

Actually Paul Chousmer was in Webcore (as well as Another Green World), so it make sense.

Ooops, sorry...Golden Tony will be finger wagging at me for diverting the thread

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: pupshaw on August 16, 2020, 09:09:43 PM
Some bio says he played electric guitar too, that would have been interesting

Quote from: Smeraldina Rima on August 17, 2020, 01:29:41 AM
Wish I had thought of that. Would have loved to hear him go electric too.

He was on some TV show in the 80s/90s where he did just that.  I can't remember if it was something like Blue Peter, or one of Saturday Zoo's "here's someone famous doing something atypical" moments, and I can't remember what it was like, but it DEFINITELY happened and I'm DEFINITELY not getting it mixed up with some Victor Lewis Smith redubbed audio skit. 

I've been searching for it for years with no luck - not a sniff on YoiTube - and, as far as I can tell, there aren't even any photos of him with an electric.

BlodwynPig

purlieu

Aw crap. :( One of the first CDs I owned was a collection of his. Might have to put it on this afternoon. RIP.