Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:42:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Summer Twats Playing Games Quickly 2020

Started by Thursday, August 16, 2020, 07:11:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thursday

Summer Games Done Quick 2020

Now with slightly less horrendous couch patter and more blurry webcams

There was a Demon's Souls one earlier that was good.

https://gamesdonequick.com/schedule

https://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick

madhair60

Once again absolutely fuck this, cancel speedrunning, end it. No more

Thursday

Nah sometimes it's entertaining, fuck off.

madhair60

Chedney Honks

Love Summoning Salt and Karls Jobst vids, don't really like watching speed runs as much. I respect the skill and commitment but you could also say what else are these guys gonna do? Not many fanny rats.

I have a lot of time for charitable enterprise and I contribute every year.

earl_sleek

brat-sampson

Always look forward to these. It'll be interesting how much of a difference it makles being online only. Have to say I'd be surprised if they can beat last year's total of over $3M, but then hell, they've knocked it out of the park pretty much relentlessly so far, so who knows.

Looks like some really interesting runs this year too, so I'm in it and rooting for them, and MSF, of course.

Jerzy Bondov

wooders1978

YouTube algorithms seems to be dead set on the idea I get into watching speed runs

I think I watched a little bit of one a few years back, I'm not interested, as I repeatedly tell YouTube

Chedney Honks

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: madhair60 on August 16, 2020, 07:14:16 PM
Once again absolutely fuck this, cancel speedrunning, end it. No more
You're top drawer but this opinion is poop

Glebe

BBC attempt 'hip' reboot of classic Yorkshire dales-com.

bgmnts

Can I ask what entertainment people get from watching others play video games? Not being snide cunt just don't get it much, I only really enjoyed playing them.

Chedney Honks

You can appreciate the skill, plus it's somewhat interesting to see the glitches and out of bounds kind of thing. Depending on the game, the commentary can also be entertaining.

For something like competitive Street Fighter, it's literally like watching professional sport except at a higher level level in many cases because they've spent a lot more time practising and the standard is a shitload less predictable.

Bazooka

Quote from: bgmnts on August 16, 2020, 11:32:21 PM
Can I ask what entertainment people get from watching others play video games? Not being snide cunt just don't get it much, I only really enjoyed playing them.

Casual gameplay is tepid and infuriating to watch, but someone who has mastered pixel perfect hits and jumps (depending on the game) is fun especially on short games. Games back in the day like Resident Evil 2 rewarded you for completing them faster.

Noodle Lizard

Famous Mortimer

What enjoyment does anyone get from anything?

I enjoy participating in sports and also watching other people play those same sports. I enjoy playing computer games and also watching people who've practiced for thousands of hours show both great skill at the game and ability to show the weirder edge of them [nb]glitches, hidden areas and so on[/nb]. Also, some of them are pretty entertaining commentators too (some of them can barely string a sentence together, mind).

I do find it odd that this sort of thing is one of the very few forms of entertainment where not only do some people not enjoy it, they feel the need to question why other people enjoy it too. If you are interested, there are lots of essays that I just found when I searched "why I enjoy speedrunning". If you're convinced by any of those articles, and want to watch a video or two, I can point you in the right direction (as can loads of people in this thread).

brat-sampson

I think I started because I saw some of the games they were running,m and some of the estimates, and it just did not compute. Like, I knew these games, and couldn't understand how they could be finished in such a short time. And sometimes yeah, it turns out they just clip out of bounds and run to the end or something, but other times it's simply a feat of skill (see finishing Bloodborne including the DLC and all bosses in like 90m), or using some weird AI exploit, or fucking wrong-warping to the credits and other mad shit. Also in a marathon setting especially, the stakes are higher because of viewers, but at the same time lower, because they're not really aiming for a world record, they just want to show a decent run, meaning they can show off some more interesting strategies etc.

Take this run of Ico from last night, I'd never seen a speedrun of it before, and despite how the runner fails one of the earlier skips due to nerves, the commentator and chat are really supportive and trying to coax her through it and past it, and some of the later jumps and skips are awesome. The whole game's done in an hour and ten, with no out of bounds or anything, just some very impressive jumps that manage to skip most of the puzzles. It also had some fun moments of Yorda playing up and was just a great wholesome hour of watching someone skilled do something that takes skill in front of 60k people while earning money for charity.

You can basically think of any game you've ever played that you found hard or long, and someone out there has fucking smashed it to pieces, and it's probably going to be fun to see how.

Fry

Watching speedruns is the only virtuous hobby one can have.

Kryton

I used to hate the idea of it, but having watched several Dark Souls speedruns, I admire the dedication. Not sure if I'd be an audience though, but fair enough - It's no different to any other entertainment and it's an interesting bit of gaming trivia and history.

Garam

I enjoy it to watch games i doubt i'll buy, plus sometimes the gamers are funny

it's just good ambience for the background while you tidy up or whatever

evilcommiedictator

I dunno, the gameslist this time around seems dire? A 5 hour finale of someone menu-ing through a Pokemon game I've never seen before? The weekend race block looks OK and the "bad" game block should always be good. At least it's not fucking Super Metroid again I guess?

I know that the streaming stuff is harder to do "live" because of delays, but put the runner and their "couch" on discord with some small cameras so at least it feels like a big event? It just seems like a normal stream?

peanutbutter

Glitchless runs can be a great way to get the kick of replaying some long old game you liked without enduring the the extremely slow pace of whatever it was yourself.

Watched a run of FF7 a few months back in the background for a day of work, was pleasant as fuck to have playing away.

Bazooka

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on August 17, 2020, 11:16:19 PM
I dunno, the gameslist this time around seems dire? A 5 hour finale of someone menu-ing through a Pokemon game I've never seen before? The weekend race block looks OK and the "bad" game block should always be good. At least it's not fucking Super Metroid again I guess?

I know that the streaming stuff is harder to do "live" because of delays, but put the runner and their "couch" on discord with some small cameras so at least it feels like a big event? It just seems like a normal stream?

Super Metroid is in there by default.

brat-sampson

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on August 17, 2020, 11:16:19 PM

I never watch Pokemon runs, so yeah, that one's not for me, but tbh they usually have some long RPG for the last game so not that surprised. The schedule's been moved back by like 4 or 5 hours so far... Ones I'd tip to watch include Last of Us Grounded and any kind of showcase/high score run of something weird. Not even technically speed runs but seeing a guitar hero showcase or a face-melting Schmup or someone destroying a dance game is always impressive to me. Also Doom Eternal No Glitches should be cool.

brat-sampson

This Trackmania Nations run deserves a shout out. He plays all the tracks bar the last one (because it has 60 laps and takes an hour), knows all the strats, and is really good at explaining everything while keeping donations coming in.

Junglist

Quote from: brat-sampson on August 19, 2020, 01:35:01 PM
This Trackmania Nations run deserves a shout out. He plays all the tracks bar the last one (because it has 60 laps and takes an hour), knows all the strats, and is really good at explaining everything while keeping donations coming in.

That's Wirtual, I watch his streams sometimes. Very, very skilled guy who plays trackmania 'professionally' (as in streams it and gets money rolling in through subs/donations). His whole stream is chill as hell.